Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is every single body in the world intended to be within the so-called healthy BMI range?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    BTW. I think there was still questions left open if someone at low bodyfat but still being so muscular they're far into the overweight category is actually still as healthy as someone with the same bodyfat but a normal bmi (so less muscle).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Ok maybe BMI wasn’t the best way to frame it. What I’m hearing though is that y’all generally believe there is an ideal body weight / body size / body fat percentage range that people should be in? And that being outside that range indicates less-than-optimal health? And that people should strive to be close to or within this range?

There are body fat ranges that are associated with lower and higher health risks, yes.

These are not the same as desired body fat levels for physical appearance or performance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited October 2017
    If a body is not within that range do you assume that person must be doing something wrong?

If a body is not within that range do you feel that person should be doing whatever it takes to get there?

I’m not sure I’m asking these questions in the clearest way. I’ve been rolling them around in my brain for a while now, though, so I figured I’d throw them out as they are and go from there.

BMI should be used in conjunction with BF%. Being over fat increases the risk of any number of health conditions.

You also have to understand that BMI is a range to accommodate various frames, muscle mass, bone density, etc...someone trying to get to the bottom of the range just because and not taking into account other factors may be damaging their health. It's also quite possible to be at a healthy BMI, but unhealthy.

I'm about 8 Lbs overweight by BMI, but I'm about 15ish% BF, so not an issue...I'm not over fat and I exercise regularly and eat right and I'm pretty physically fit. I could definitely be leaner, but it's kind of a PITA...I don't mind carrying a little extra body fat unless it gets to unhealthy levels.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    @JeromeBarry1 What about my questions led you to believe I think those are truths?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Not sure how short you are but last time I calculated (May) my FFMI was 22.x, my BMI was 26.x, and my body fat (Dexa) was 8.x... I'm 5'11" if my body fat went up to 9.x (and I am probably there and on my way up as autumn sets in) my FFMI would go down and my BMI up.

at 5'11'' and a 26 BMI you weigh about 190 pounds. That's a ffmi of 24.1 - 24.4 between 8 and 9% bf..

Not sure which of the many FFMI calculators you're using but I think it's optimistic... I was 184 at the time and I just plugged in the numbers directly from my Dexa again and got the same results from a couple of different online ones... 22.x FFMI and 25 to 26 BMI (again depending on the calculator)

To toss another angle into the conversation it's also quite possible to have an "ideal" BMI but carry an unhealthy amount of fat. I know quite a few "skinnyfat" people... Especially folks my age.

They should all come up with the same number. And at 184 it still spits out 23.5 for 8% bf.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    If a body is not within that range do you assume that person must be doing something wrong?

If a body is not within that range do you feel that person should be doing whatever it takes to get there?

I’m not sure I’m asking these questions in the clearest way. I’ve been rolling them around in my brain for a while now, though, so I figured I’d throw them out as they are and go from there.

Yes, it is a measure of health. I don't think anyone should be happy about being unhealthy.