Hangover eating ruining everything!

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this thread awhile. I drink alcohol maybe once a year so it is easy for me to say don't get hungover.
    You have to decide for yourself that a behavior is something you want to alter. If you choose to drink less or no alcohol you would certainly adjust.

When I got serious about losing weight I thought about where my calories came from and decided calories from drinks were so unsatisfying. So I moved to mostly drinking water or unsweetened tea. I rarely have soda pop, hot chocolate, milk, etc. And it is fine. Every once in awhile I drink something else but not too often.
    Years ago I didn't like how caffeine made me feel so I limited my intake. And I adjusted no matter what others were doing.
  • baro1981
    baro1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel since I have the same problem. If I take my drinking night outs out of my life, I end up with pretty boring and pointless life honestly. I also feel like all the diet and exercise that I’ve been doing whole week deserves a celebration.

The bigger problem is what I eat when I hangover as you’ve stated. I recently realized most of the hunger and urge for heartly meal when hangover is caused by dehydration. Now when I wake up with daydreaming of a burger, i chug one litre of water and try to eat something quickly. That kills the urge.

To kill the guilt of drinking, I also force myself to treadmill in the evening even if it’s for half an hour. And next day get back into the diet and the exercise routine. Hope this will help you as much as it does to me.

Cheers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel since I have the same problem. If I take my drinking night outs out of my life, I end up with pretty boring and pointless life honestly. I also feel like all the diet and exercise that I’ve been doing whole week deserves a celebration.

The bigger problem is what I eat when I hangover as you’ve stated. I recently realized most of the hunger and urge for heartly meal when hangover is caused by dehydration. Now when I wake up with daydreaming of a burger, i chug one litre of water and try to eat something quickly. That kills the urge.

To kill the guilt of drinking, I also force myself to treadmill in the evening even if it’s for half an hour. And next day get back into the diet and the exercise routine. Hope this will help you as much as it does to me.

Cheers.

I've found (nonrisky!) mild exercise after alcohol before bed to be helpful at times, too. There are safety limits around this, but getting some more of the alcohol out of my system improves sleep and reduces next-day effects. I hope that ample hydration with this exercise is an obvious requirement.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The easy answer is to drink less, but I have the same issue, so I know it’s not that easy. One thing that has helped me is adapting my idea of hang over food. I’ll drink one of those kumbuca teas (60 calores). They are supposed to have electrolytes and probiotics that help. Who cares if it’s true, as long as I believe it, and there’s less calories than a burger or pizza. Might be worth keeping around some light hangover food too. Like a low calorie frozen pizza. Sometimes, you just have to be pragmatic.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of alcohol can spike insulin which can end up causing low blood sugar which can then lead to wanting to eat all the things, in addition to the "so freaking what" behavioral disinhibition.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I do the same but, not stopping. I drink usually 1 day week at least 6-10 lite beers. My goal when I drink is to get buzzed. Yes, the next day I eat much more than usual. Oh well, don't care. It gets me thru life.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    As my name implies, I found it necessary to give up wine in order to lose weight. If your pour is indeed 5oz, just cutting out Mon-Weds saves you 720 calories a week to eat filling and nutritionist foods.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can have the best of both worlds, by planning ahead?
    I LOVE breakfast, I love going out for breakfast, and even though I drool all over the various menu items anywhere we go, I always end up ordering what my husband calls 'The Rachael'. It is two eggs, basted, 2 slices buttered rye toast, sausage links and hashbrowns. It's a hangovers dream, and in my opinion, a perfect meal.

If I knew I was going to drink to excess and would want this, I would baste those two eggs with water rather than the butter a restaurant uses, have one slice of unbuttered toast, a chicken sausage link and maybe syracuse salt potatoes with a bit of butter.

Point being - there may be satisfying lighter alternatives to your chosen hangover foods that wouldn't put such a dent in your deficit. Planning is your friend.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

its really sad that you think life is pointless without alcohol... and then feel guilty doing it... maybe speak to someone as none of that is healthy at all.

Woah! The guilt is coming from the betrayal to my diet. I am just a fatty trying to lose some weight with a strict diet and exercise. Not an alcoholic. What I was trying to say, it is not too much fun to stay at home and count calories all my life.

Why is it 'stay at home' or 'get shitfaced and eat 6 pizzas'?

These extremes are why people cant stick to their diet.

The same reason it's always 'all whole foods, clean and healthy' or 'all doughnuts all the time.' Because moderation isn't sexy.
  • fiona4879
    fiona4879 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm so good with my diet 6 days of the week and aim for 1400 calories maximum a day and exercise 4 times a week. I've been doing this now for about 2 months and have only lost a couple of pounds if that.

My main problem is when I have a drink - the next day I have no control and eat pretty much anything I want. I then spend the rest of the week living with immense guilt.

I know the obvious answer is not to drink....but how am i supposed to live the rest of my life never having a glass of wine or having a social catch-up with some mates? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love it if the first thing I wanted to eat on a hangover is an apple but it really isn't.

I welcome all feedback and would like to hear if anyone struggles with anything similar.

there's a massive difference between a 'glass of wine' or a 'social drink' and getting so drunk you're hungover.

I have had a hangover once this year, maybe twice max... but i go out socially for drinks at least once a fortnight.

No i honestly feel hungover on 2 glasses of wine. It gets worse with age
    Hi there

I'm so good with my diet 6 days of the week and aim for 1400 calories maximum a day and exercise 4 times a week. I've been doing this now for about 2 months and have only lost a couple of pounds if that.

My main problem is when I have a drink - the next day I have no control and eat pretty much anything I want. I then spend the rest of the week living with immense guilt.

I know the obvious answer is not to drink....but how am i supposed to live the rest of my life never having a glass of wine or having a social catch-up with some mates? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would love it if the first thing I wanted to eat on a hangover is an apple but it really isn't.

I welcome all feedback and would like to hear if anyone struggles with anything similar.

there's a massive difference between a 'glass of wine' or a 'social drink' and getting so drunk you're hungover.

I have had a hangover once this year, maybe twice max... but i go out socially for drinks at least once a fortnight.

No i honestly feel hungover on 2 glasses of wine. It gets worse with age

• fiona4879
    fiona4879 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry I’m new to posting. I sympathize regarding a hangover from only a couple of drinks. It is definitely getting worse as I get older (I’m 46). The thing that makes a major difference is what I drink. Expensive and organic wines are absolutely fine. No hangover. Cheap wine is a sure recipe for a sore head. Drinking water during the night helps.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    fiona4879 wrote: »
    Sorry I’m new to posting. I sympathize regarding a hangover from only a couple of drinks. It is definitely getting worse as I get older (I’m 46). The thing that makes a major difference is what I drink. Expensive and organic wines are absolutely fine. No hangover. Cheap wine is a sure recipe for a sore head. Drinking water during the night helps.

The OP is 26!! Big difference. That hangovers are getting "worse" at that age, seems odd to me.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    fiona4879 wrote: »

The OP is 26!! Big difference. That hangovers are getting "worse" at that age, seems odd to me.

That’s actually around the age when I first started getting hangovers at all, but I’ve had friends who got them a lot younger, and I’ve noticed that I get them more easily as I get older (36 now), but my drinking has not increased, and I never binge drink anymore.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Cheers.

Whoah. You might wanna try some counselling. That is a pretty disturbing view you have there.