Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    @maybyn yeah I am thinking it’s like weigh and measure all your food. If your weight loss stops maybe it’s time to tighten up! So I’ll just keep plowing forward as I’m doing now. I am jealous of having a sport you love that makes you want to sport!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    @Luna3386

The rough and easy way to calculate your maintenance is to multiply your current bodyweight x 14-16.. use the lower number if you're more sedentary. To calculate your deficit, subtract 20% of that (alternatively you can just multiply your current bodyweight x 11-12, again use the lower number if you're less active).

That was all taken from Aadam's article + this article: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Lacking patience is the usual culprit for yo-yo dieting. Are you planning on entering any bikini or physique competitions soon? If so, then more aggressive approaches are applicable and temporary. For lifelong health and comfort, unless you're planning on dying soon, take your time with achieving a healthy weight. I don't mean to sound morbidly blunt, but I'm using extreme examples because nothing is ever *that* extreme or necessary to get done as fast as possible.

I'm also going to refer you to listen to Sohee Lee on the mindset of many people that are starting to approach a diet for long-term goals as opposed to short-term shortcuts that don't really ingrain solid foundations for maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEa_zUVVhPA

Thanks. I had missed the maintenance part of that article.

I've basically done this whole thing backwards. When I could have made the most progress I didn't because of my lack of knowledge and patience... Which has kind of led to more impatience. Ahh. Well, I suppose it's never too late to change my mindset but I'm just going to have to be patient on the physique goals. I've got no plans to compete so the extra slow but permanent route for me.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @maybyn yeah I am thinking it’s like weigh and measure all your food. If your weight loss stops maybe it’s time to tighten up! So I’ll just keep plowing forward as I’m doing now. I am jealous of having a sport you love that makes you want to sport!

Yep, whatever works for weight management in a healthy way and try not to be impatient. Like what @anubis609 mentioned earlier.

The risk of changing things up is if what you're trying doesn't work as expected, you might become anxious and start looking at more aggressive or different diets which may then lead you down a very slippery slope of getting into extremes and developing an unhealthy relationship with food. (A general 'you', not saying you in particular).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    That was wordier than I planned!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm really good at jumping down stairs tho lol.

As much as I ate to say it these past few years haven't been a waste. I've learned so much. I am more patient than I used to be, believe it or not.

And it summarizes life well: we can't go back. We do the best we can until we know better. I hope I can use what I've learned to help others, even if it's just my children. My parents couldn't because they didn't know and they are still in their lifelong yo yo dieting and food fads phase. I can do better now.

Also, @anubis609 thanks for the sohee video. Excellent! I'm going to share with my feed. I used to follow her on Instagram until I got fed up and unfollowed all fitness accounts (probably need that living in shades of grey advice she gave ;) )
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I am so ready for refeed weekend. Pity it's still a day away.

TGIF.

I know the feeling. Just finished week one of PHAT and man do i need a rest.. now i can see why they suggest not doing this program in a deficit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Just home from my day in the city, stuck in a basement looking at tiny bits of broken bone, and dear glob I'm hungry! Just scoffed a protein nut bar, because it was that or have dinner at 4.30 in the afternoon :D . So I will be going for a lovely walk in the misty rain, because I refuse to give up my evening milkshake. Priorities.
  • maggibailey
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean oh girl I can’t even imagine! I am so amazed by the things you can do with your body! No WayI could have the determination you very obviously have! No I’m maggiland unattainable means flat stomach strong legs and obvious arm muscles. I prefer my couch to a gym and the softness of my body shows it! No need to apologize at all I’m flipping flattered that anyone could even think me capable of such things!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    I'm really good at jumping down stairs tho lol.

As much as I ate to say it these past few years haven't been a waste. I've learned so much. I am more patient than I used to be, believe it or not.

And it summarizes life well: we can't go back. We do the best we can until we know better. I hope I can use what I've learned to help others, even if it's just my children. My parents couldn't because they didn't know and they are still in their lifelong yo yo dieting and food fads phase. I can do better now.

Also, @anubis609 thanks for the sohee video. Excellent! I'm going to share with my feed. I used to follow her on Instagram until I got fed up and unfollowed all fitness accounts (probably need that living in shades of grey advice she gave ;) )

You’re very welcome. I identify with Sohee because she’s specializing in the psychological aspect of dieting in accordance with lifetime sustainability, using her own issues she’s had to deal with as a foundation. Plus, sharing a similar cultural background of what is considered acceptably healthy is contradicted by the older Asian generation of force feeding relatives and guests lol. To put it bluntly, they’ll flat out tell you you look like you’re getting fat while simultaneously pressuring you to finish the food on your plate to show gratitude for their effort in cooking. So it’s not hard to imagine a lot of Asians tend to develop ED and body dysmorphia.

I identify with Lyle and Aadam because they have a comprehensively direct approach to nutrition and fitness... plus, we all share similar personality traits, so dicking around in conversation with them outside of the subject is always entertaining :D
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean oh girl I can’t even imagine! I am so amazed by the things you can do with your body! No WayI could have the determination you very obviously have! No I’m maggiland unattainable means flat stomach strong legs and obvious arm muscles. I prefer my couch to a gym and the softness of my body shows it! No need to apologize at all I’m flipping flattered that anyone could even think me capable of such things!

I was actually thinking the same as @livingleanlivingclean that you might have been aiming at that level of physique. I’ll support her sentiment that it comes at a cost, though it is technically attainable. Being female I would say it actually comes with a greater risk, given your entire hormonal panel is on the line. Guys get shafted too but it’s not nearly as bad *in context*

But if improving overall body composition is your goal, that’s certainly attainable and realistic, relative to overall health.
  • maggibailey
    Options
    I work in the convention industry so I’m square in the middle of our busiest season. I’m going to give myself through then to decide if it’s actually something I care enough to be passionate about. Because if not I know myself and if I’m not I’ll lose interest fast. I could start reading up on recomp though :). Does one usually start that at the low end of your goal weight?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I work in the convention industry so I’m square in the middle of our busiest season. I’m going to give myself through then to decide if it’s actually something I care enough to be passionate about. Because if not I know myself and if I’m not I’ll lose interest fast. I could start reading up on recomp though :). Does one usually start that at the low end of your goal weight?

Strength training start sooner rather than later (though totally get the busy thing). You will build strength at a deficit, but recomp is about losing fat while building muscle, so that comes once you're eating at maintenance. Your muscles will 'firm up' if you strength train while losing weight though, and you will retain more of your existing muscle mass.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh and find something you love, you're more likely to stick with it. There are lots of ways to get some basic beginner level strength work. When I was losing a couple of years ago, all I did was yoga (obviously not just stretchy stuff).
  • maggibailey
    Options
    I have done a lot of lifting in the past :/. The difference is I was a stay at home mom living in fort Bragg 5 gyms within a mile of my house. But I do feel like going back now I’ll be right back at the beginning, and back to feeling uncomfortable on the weight floor, so I’ll welcome ALL the tips if I go through with it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Another long topic, though the useful details are upfront again - more application the more you are willing to wade through.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat