tips for beginners that no one told you.

Options

Replies

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    tracymegan wrote: »
    Eons ago, I was a heavy lifter, so have lottos thickness and muscle mass...even though I have padded the crap out of that mass. In seeing a trainer, I changed my routine from 10-12 reps of 3 sets to 20 reps of 4 sets..no breaks and stepped training! Cannot believe the changes!!! Huge in literally weeks! Have lost 5 inches on each thigh!

Ooh, I'm trying this!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Great information, everyone....

but these really speak to me and getting me back on track after Halloween binge of a week.
    If you can't take eating a deficit any more, mentally that is - move up to maintenance for a week or however long and just concentrate on fitness. Dieting for months on end can be exhausting and instead of giving up it's okay to take a break from eating to lose as long as you keep logging and keep your work up at the gym. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
    You aren't going to burn off that candy (or whatever treat) by getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Fit that candy (or whatever treat) into your daily, or weekly, allowance.
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It’s a lifetime pursuit, not a goal to stop when you get there. Slow and steady win. Slow progress is still progress.

Getting back to it....!
  • kidrauhldrew
    kidrauhldrew Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I learned to not skip out on the exercises I don't like. I never enjoyed running and would always go with another alternative for cardio that was easier for me. I realized that I only never enjoyed it because I was never good at it, not for any other reasons. So I need to get off my behind and run, improve myself to the point that I can say I don't suck at it anymore and actually find the fun in going out for a run.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Jogging is the best weight loss exercise for me. I am not talking running or racing. Those are competitive and lead to injury and disappointment.
    The notion that running has to be competitive is, with all due respect, misguided. So is the idea that one should avoid running because it can lead to injury.

In our lives, there will almost certainly be situations in which we HAVE to run. It's far better to be prepared for such situations. Failing to do be ready could lead to more serious injury or other consequences, especially in an emergency.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not every muscle that's nagging you needs to be stretched.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Unique, inspiring, and insightful exercise ideas in here!
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Weight fluctuations are a thing even if you eat at deficit consistently (yes, that means every single day!). No one at all is looking at you at the gym. No one cares about you and that's a good thing. Focusing only on calories and hitting protein is okay. You can throw out every excuse in the book but in the end, your progress is entirely up to you. You don't have to workout every single day you possibly can.