High carb Low protein diet

Options

Replies

• _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just adding protein deficiency isn't fun and yes I experienced it. Being vegan doesn't mean you have to be that low in protein

I honestly blame people like Freelee for the weird assertions about protein.

I'm not afraid of protein, I don't restrict protein. I eat what I want, when I want...I just happen to track my food and enjoy tracking my food. It just so happens that my average is about that percentage. I also had to google this FREELEE, not too sure what her standpoint is or what she does. But I will look into it.
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest, that's pretty close to my breakdown. I've made a conscious decision to up it over the last couple of months, but I'm usually 15-20%, with some days coming in at less than 10%. OP, are you actually vegan, or just don't like meat as much?

Yeah my percentages vary as well, but my breakdown tends to be low. I am vegan, but I don't restrict protein or hate protein or want protein at a certain percentage.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yup - Netnanny extraordinate out and about today
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    _AshLynn wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I don't feel like getting into a this way or that way is the right way discussion. I've friended those who mentioned they eat similarly to me. Thanks for answering!

Forums get to be touchy when you talk about protein, vegan, plant based....so I just want to say thanks for your concerns to those who are worried...and thanks for responding to those who are similar to me.

I can certainly understand why you don't want to get into debates on an internet forum. But you might be doing yourself a disservice if you put yourself in an echo chamber by only friending like minded people. As other people have mentioned, low protein can lead to problems. If you're tracking your macros, why not increase your protein a bit?

I am tracking my macros, but I don't see an issue with balancing between 40-50 grams of protein. (On average).
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Well if 46g is the minimum, it sounds like OP is there? What am I missing here?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone who replied. I don't feel like getting into a this way or that way is the right way discussion. I've friended those who mentioned they eat similarly to me. Thanks for answering!

Forums get to be touchy when you talk about protein, vegan, plant based....so I just want to say thanks for your concerns to those who are worried...and thanks for responding to those who are similar to me.

I can certainly understand why you don't want to get into debates on an internet forum. But you might be doing yourself a disservice if you put yourself in an echo chamber by only friending like minded people. As other people have mentioned, low protein can lead to problems. If you're tracking your macros, why not increase your protein a bit?

I am tracking my macros, but I don't see an issue with balancing between 40-50 grams of protein. (On average).

RDA minimum for a more or less sedentary individual is 0.83 per Kg of body weight...what's your RDA minimum? Are you hitting it? Are you more or less sedentary?

I could hit my RDA minimum on my 2,800 calorie diet with 10% protein...but I'm not sedentary and workout 5-6 days per week...which increases my protein needs. I think a lot of people go over the top when it comes to protein...but I also think a lot of people don't realize that the RDA is a minimum for a non active individual.

There are a lot of plant based proteins...I eat lentils and beans quite a bit. Hemp seeds give a vegan a one two punch as a few Tbsps are around 10 grams of protein...plus they are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which if you don't eat fish, you should be supplementing in some manner or another anyway.

As "grains" go, I eat quinoa quite a bit (I know it's a seed). Do you use nutritional yeast? Tempeh and tofu are excellent sources.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

It is the minimum for a non-active person...I don't know if the OP is active or not. An active person would need more given that they're breaking down muscle with their training/exercise...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

She's not a sedentary woman though
  • cwolfman13
    edited November 2017
    Options

::claps hands:: BRAVO! Thank you.

I think I am missing that something too.

So you're non active then?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
    The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is a modest 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The RDA is the amount of a nutrient you need to meet your basic nutritional requirements. In a sense, it’s the minimum amount you need to keep from getting sick — not the specific amount you are supposed to eat every day.

To determine your RDA for protein, you can multiply your weight in pounds by 0.36, or use this online protein calculator. For a 50-year-old woman who weighs 140 pounds woman and who is sedentary (doesn’t exercise), that translates into 53 grams of protein a day.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

You are sedentary though? And 40-50 implies you are eating be low the rda for a sedentary woman. Your rda is probably higher than that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I thought you said in previous posts that you got some exercise. Is that not accurate?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You have been eating this way for a while, like longer than six weeks? No problems with skin, nails or hair? Then it may be that you are getting your minimum protein.