High carb Low protein diet

Options

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't want to discount the importance of protein. It is something that can be an issue for vegans, and as I stated, I always check to make sure that I'm meeting my requirement and I eat higher protein foods 2 out of 3 meals, but really, most of the time, I hit it easily, and that's with eating quite a lot of carbohydrate. I'd be surprised if OP was as seriously under-proteined as some posters are implying.

Also, I don't see people going into the low-carb threads and arguing that people need carbs or fiber. I still think, for me, a balanced diet that is heavy on carbs but still meets other requirements is how I feel best and most satisfied.
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    _AshLynn wrote: »
    Well if 46g is the minimum, it sounds like OP is there? What am I missing here?

::claps hands:: BRAVO! Thank you.

I think I am missing that something too.

So you're non active then?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
    The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is a modest 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The RDA is the amount of a nutrient you need to meet your basic nutritional requirements. In a sense, it’s the minimum amount you need to keep from getting sick — not the specific amount you are supposed to eat every day.

To determine your RDA for protein, you can multiply your weight in pounds by 0.36, or use this online protein calculator. For a 50-year-old woman who weighs 140 pounds woman and who is sedentary (doesn’t exercise), that translates into 53 grams of protein a day.

THANK YOU! That is perfect! 115*.36 = 41.4 B)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So you're non active then?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
    The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is a modest 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The RDA is the amount of a nutrient you need to meet your basic nutritional requirements. In a sense, it’s the minimum amount you need to keep from getting sick — not the specific amount you are supposed to eat every day.

To determine your RDA for protein, you can multiply your weight in pounds by 0.36, or use this online protein calculator. For a 50-year-old woman who weighs 140 pounds woman and who is sedentary (doesn’t exercise), that translates into 53 grams of protein a day.

THANK YOU! That is perfect! 115*.36 = 41.4 B)

But that's for sedentary. You exercise right?
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You have been eating this way for a while, like longer than six weeks? No problems with skin, nails or hair? Then it may be that you are getting your minimum protein.

About 8 or 9 months I believe. Maybe more. I don't have any significant changes in my hair, skin, or nails at all. I have had hypothyroidism (started medication in high school) for a really long time now...which has given me issues with hair and nails...but I haven't noticed anything different once I began eating more plant based.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I thought you said in previous posts that you got some exercise. Is that not accurate?

I'm not worried about calculating for exercise. As long as I get the minimum I am happy. I'm sure people live differently but that is fine too. I'm not standing on the edge of a bridge ... I will be ok, but I am grateful for all of the concern. It works well for me, and as many of you have provided around 40 is a reasonable amount.

40 is reasonable if you don't exercise. As someone who has had protein deficiency it really isn't fun.
  • nicolejuliafisher
    Options
    My personal experience has been that there are a million ways to lose weight and that the key to success is finding the one that works for you. For example, I count calories. Calories in vs. calories out is what works for me. I don’t pay much attention to nutrients and macros, but that’s not to say that I’d recommend a 1,750 calorie junk food diet. If I peek at anything else besides calories on a label, it’s carbs, because my endocrinologist told me to stay under 100 a day. Do I? Probably not. I know some people say that not all macros and calories are the same. Great. If juggling all of that information is what works for them, so be it. I guess what I’m trying to say is do what works for you.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat about 80 g protein and 250 g carbs, so definitely not low carb. Not a big fan of these low carb diets.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Biggster69 wrote: »
    I eat about 80 g protein and 250 g carbs, so definitely not low carb. Not a big fan of these low carb diets.

This is a low protein discussion, not low carb. It looks like you have a handle on your protein goals (and carbs) :)