Sugar Cravings

13»

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I know it doesn’t directly make sense, but I crave sugar most when I’m not getting enough sleep. I’ll have a little coffee, if it’s still kinda early in the day, or take a mild sleeping aid and some tea in the evening.

Thank you for the kind input! I get more than enough sleep per night. Sleep isn't my issue, sugar is.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    There's no such thing as "fake sugar".

Sugar is not addictive.

Cutting sugar doesn't magically mean you lose weight.

BAHAHAAA. ARE you for real? Go and get a degree in nutrition before commenting such ridiculous statements. Millions of people get addicted to sugar. It is addictive, but some people aren't addicted. It's those people that don't seem to understand how us sugar addicts feel :(

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Without trying to derail the conversation. In human models, they have not sugar addiction to be plausible, but rather that instances of hyperpalatable foods causes reactions. We have a long discussion about it in the below. Millions of people have disordered food issues. And the triggers are rarely just sugar, but specific foods.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

I guess addiction is the real word here. Well I find high sugar foods like doughnuts, chocolate and sweets addictive as in I can't portion control with them. Also, I'm not losing out on anything by avoiding such foods for a few weeks so that I can stay under my calorie limit and lose weight. I'll definitely check out the link above. Losing fat is my main priority anyway...I have a wedding to go to in December!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    When I don’t have added sugar, I don’t crave it. The only way I can lose weight/avoid gaining weight is to count my calories, exercise, and to work on avoiding refined carbohydrates. I can do a 3 pm pear but not a 3 pm chocolate bar. It takes me about 24 hours to regain control if I have sugar.
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2017
    Umm, sure there is. Stevia, Truvia, Sweet and Low, Equal, etc... Not sure if that is what OP meant.
    Sugar is not addictive.
    Maybe not physically, I don't know enough to argue that, but a person can have mental addictions that are just as controlling as physical addictions. EDIT: I just noticed a previous post from psuLemon that has a thread about this. Don't want to "derail" this post.
    Sad, but true. But sugar does up those calories very quickly (in my opinion. Decreasing sugar (not cutting) frees up some of those calories for other foods.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I know it doesn’t directly make sense, but I crave sugar most when I’m not getting enough sleep. I’ll have a little coffee, if it’s still kinda early in the day, or take a mild sleeping aid and some tea in the evening.

I think it makes a lot of sense, and it's true for me too, although it's not specifically sugar but any quick sources of carbs. They provide energy which your body is low on, after all. If you understand why and do something else (like having caffeine) it can really help, or just eat something that will provide more stable energy (like nuts or greek yogurt). Although in this case a piece of fruit always seems desirable and would work too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Sugar is not addictive.

BAHAHAAA. ARE you for real? Go and get a degree in nutrition before commenting such ridiculous statements. Millions of people get addicted to sugar. It is addictive, but some people aren't addicted. It's those people that don't seem to understand how us sugar addicts feel :(

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Without trying to derail the conversation. In human models, they have not sugar addiction to be plausible, but rather that instances of hyperpalatable foods causes reactions. We have a long discussion about it in the below. Millions of people have disordered food issues. And the triggers are rarely just sugar, but specific foods.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

I guess addiction is the real word here. Well I find high sugar foods like doughnuts, chocolate and sweets addictive as in I can't portion control with them.

Donuts and chocolate and many other sweets are high fat as well as high sugar (more calories in a donut are from fat than from sugar, as it's about half fat, half carbs and a lot of the carbs are flour).

My current favorite chocolate bar (Chocolove Xtreme 88%) has 180 cal but only 4 g of sugar in a serving.

Fruit is mostly sugar, almost no fat, unlike most "junk food," and yet is rarely something people have serious control issues (although I know some do). Like Ann, I find that when I'm having trouble with control over hyperpalatable things (which seems to relate to emotional eating for me), having more fruit can help (and having more fruit in my diet in general tends to make me a lot more picky about what other sweet things I want).

Anyway, while I don't find it applicable I understand some find that conceptualizing their difficulties with food (or sweet foods) as a "sugar addiction" is useful. If it helps, that's fine, whatever, but psulemon is right that the discussions of food addiction tend to focus more generally on hyperpalatable foods of all types (pizza scores very high, as does cheese), and I would say it's simply false to claim that "sugar withdrawal" in a physical sense, especially as in "just like drug addiction" (if you mean something like heroin) as was claimed above is not true.

Beyond that, I don't think it much matters what people call it, the question is what works to make things easier and that varies depending on the person.