Is eating 2 baked potatoes for one meal bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As far as total carbs and blood glucose spikes are concerned, it's better than eating one baked potato and drinking a Coke, which most people wouldn't bat an eyelash at.

I'm a diabetic and I can handle quite a large serving of potatoes without spikes, probably due to the amount of fiber in them. This is very individual though, and different people react to different foods differently. If you're truly concerned about blood glucose spikes, buy a ten dollar meter at Walmart and check your glucose after eating. For most people with normal pancreas and liver function, your body should easily regulate even a high carb meal.

It might not be the most nutritionally balanced use of your limited calories when you're eating at a deficit, but that's the only real drawback. What foods are you giving up to eat twice as many potatoes? consider broadening your horizons.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As far as total carbs and blood glucose spikes are concerned, it's better than eating one baked potato and drinking a Coke, which most people wouldn't bat an eyelash at.

I'm a diabetic and I can handle quite a large serving of potatoes without spikes, probably due to the amount of fiber in them. This is very individual though, and different people react to different foods differently. If you're truly concerned about blood glucose spikes, buy a ten dollar meter at Walmart and check your glucose after eating. For most people with normal pancreas and liver function, your body should easily regulate even a high carb meal.

It might not be the most nutritionally balanced use of your limited calories when you're eating at a deficit, but that's the only real drawback. What foods are you giving up to eat twice as many potatoes? consider broadening your horizons.

Other then there being more nutrition in a potato, If the carbs net in a potato were the same as a can of soda, they are exactly the same as far as blood sugar absorption. The potato however is just converted to glucose slower then the soda because soda would be considered a fast acting carb due to it being a liquid and absorbed much quicker.

There's also fiber in potatoes and not in Coke, which slows absorption.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    If I had only 2 potatoes in a meal, I'd think I hadn't eaten yet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

I think there is more to the meal then just two potatoes.

Yep, exactly -- OP said "I tend to pair the potatoes with a good amount of protein too."
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Not if it fits in your calories.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

I know, but I usually eat more than two potatoes as part of a meal. Cultural differences perhaps. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I know, but I usually eat more than two potatoes as part of a meal. Cultural differences perhaps. :)

Maybe... we eat potatoes in canada too. :tongue:

Depends on the size of the potatoes really. Not a euphemism.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Thanks to this thread and my suggestibility, I bought potatoes to bake for dinner tomorrow! Bring on the beetus.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread and my suggestibility, I bought potatoes to bake for dinner tomorrow! Bring on the beetus.

We are having twice baked potatoes with Thanksgiving dinner. Also stuffing, homemade rolls, and two kinds of pie. I may or may not be counting down to the beetus.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

We are having twice baked potatoes with Thanksgiving dinner. Also stuffing, homemade rolls, and two kinds of pie. I may or may not be counting down to the beetus.

Oh the beetus is so getting you...

Yeah, but what a way to go....

(ETA, JOKING of course! Diabetes is no laughing matter, and I wish more people would educate themselves on prevention and treatment before experiencing life-altering illnesses. But I am under no illusions that my T-giving dinner is going to give me the beetus.)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No just don't eat 3. LOL
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Mine is in the oven slowly baking now. Will be having with slow roast pork shoulder and asparagus. Same tomorrow but with broccoli. Might die. Worth it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are great, no need to worry...