Best 3 lifts?

Options

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I use to keep shoulders back on deads, flexed or tight too. Kept me away from the rolled back or question mark,lol. I'm a flex lifter, keep every muscle flexed and tight. Makes the weight feel lighter too.

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yes, sir! So, you protect your pits! In other words, activate the lats! And, it takes all of the slack out of your form which will help you to not hurt your elbow/bicep (especially if you do over under like I am doing now). I have watched some really really good videos on how to do the big four (bench, dead, squat, ohp) and those videos have helped me to correct HORRIBLE form and to avoid even more injuries (when it comes to squats and dead lifts I have hurt myself more than I care to admit....all because of horrible form...I ain't gonna lie there). Brian Alsruhe has helped me the most but everyone is different and everyone finds his or her "Brian Alsruhe".

I never wanted to exceed 300lbs on anything (five years ago I could bench 340 lbs at 191lbs body weight) - simply because of my age (just a couple of years behind you) but things are working well. I typically do not ego lift so I am not stupid that way. But, I do tend to over train. Still a little stupid that way. But, learning!

And, sure....the body is an amazing thing. If you squeeze the <kitten> out of the bar all of that energy transfers throughout your entire body. I get pretty awesome leg drive when I bench. People would not think on a bench that leg drive would do much but when you time it right and are in that smooth fluid motion it is amazing what an old man can do! And, I am not calling myself an old man.....the 20-somethings in the gym do, though. I still kick their <kitten>. No ego, but VERY competitive. Well, okay...a little ego...I am human! LOL!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    @chieflrg - are you going to compete in Denver, NC? I know that there are a lot of events in March for USAPL....

No, I'm doing a local in Chicago at a gym I've itched to check out. Can't travel far right now because of kidneys are bailing on me a touch.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    All good! Sorry to hear about your kidneys. Kick <kitten> in Chicago!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

It's all good.

Good luck with your meet :).
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Thank you, sir!
  • BcMuscles
    BcMuscles Posts: 109 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    350lb bench, 500lb Deadlift and 465lb Squat at 5'11 227lbs
  • fjpatten
    fjpatten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a skinny fat newbie. Never lifted before August. I'm 110 lb, 5"2.

DL: 150lb
    SQ: 55lb
    Bench: just the damn barbell and it kills me
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just tested my bench at 115 last week, at the end of my bench and squat sets. I might test a 1 rm at 120 next week...so excited!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Awesome @DancingMoosie ! Do you do bench and then squats? Or, squats and theb bench?
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Age 48. Don't do 1RM's but here's my best lifts this year:
    Squat 300 lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps (also did 320 for 3 sets of 3 reps)
    Deadlift 340 lbs for 5 reps (also did 355 lbs for 3 reps).
    Bench 125lbs for 5 reps (1 count pause) - coming back from 2016 shoulder injury (not a weightlifting injury).

Goal is 1000 lb club... hopefully by age 50.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Awesome @DancingMoosie ! Do you do bench and then squats? Or, squats and theb bench?

I alternate squat/bench (4-5 sets) and then do ohp/deads, then hip thrusts and pull ups or rows...or something similar. I'm just so glad I got my bw bench!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

I alternate squat/bench (4-5 sets) and then do ohp/deads, then hip thrusts and pull ups or rows...or something similar. I'm just so glad I got my bw bench!

Smart! Squats *can* take a lot out of you.......Good luck on the bench work. Lots of women make the choice not to do bench (or any variations thereof). I find that unfortunate. Keep up the awesome work...
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited November 2017
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    Age 48. Don't do 1RM's but here's my best lifts this year:
    Squat 300 lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps (also did 320 for 3 sets of 3 reps)
    Deadlift 340 lbs for 5 reps (also did 355 lbs for 3 reps).
    Bench 125lbs for 5 reps (1 count pause) - coming back from 2016 shoulder injury (not a weightlifting injury).

Goal is 1000 lb club... hopefully by age 50.

Dang! Nice work on the dead lifts and squats. I have been doing those two exercises for almost a year - with three extended "vacations" (due to horrible form | injuries). Now my form is really good - in part due to the "stupid" that I put myself through. But great progress. I hear from lots and lots of folks that "you should not lift heavy - you are too old!". Well, I disagree. And, apparently, so do you! I consider that "advice" just like "chicks should not lift heavy because they will get bulky"! Not allowed to write what I think of that! :smiley:

Do you do accessory work for squats? For dead lifts? I do adductors for squats (because when I am going heavy my knees do cave in a little bit....and my adductors are indeed the weak link in my body - funny story there....later time) and I do a few accessory work for dead lifts (hip thrusters - yep, a dude that does them - and good mornings and GHR).
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Still increasing on my stronglifts program. Todays increase put me at 345 for 5 reps on the deadlift (probably had a few more reps in me as well).

Me: 45, 225lbs (target 200), 6'
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 YO female, here are my current PRs, all in pounds:

back squat 154 (oddly, front squat 143 hmmm there's a problem there)
    bench 112
    deadlift - recent 270 but all time 293

I took a break from powerlifting to try the Olys, which I pretty much suck at. I have a WL coach who does my programming and is coaching me on the Olys, so I just do the program, I don't think at all ha ha.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    nooneyuk88 wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    nooneyuk88 wrote: »
    Blam yall, im repping for the skinnies, built like the side of a dollar bill. I'm 5 ft 11" but only 135, and still cutting.

Wait, what? Why the hell are you cutting at 135 lbs?

At 135 my lower abs are just peeking out. At 130 they're out. I told you, skinny as *kitten*.

I know it is sensors but skinny as a kitten......bwhahahahahaha
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options

Stop kicking the kittens dude :p
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Hey, what can I say? I am a dog person! LOL! I am going to catch some flak for that, probably!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Still increasing on my stronglifts program. Todays increase put me at 345 for 5 reps on the deadlift (probably had a few more reps in me as well).

Me: 45, 225lbs (target 200), 6'

New DL best at 350 for reps