Tipping

Options
124»

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I tip 3-5 dollars, depending upon the service and the weather. If it's truly nasty outside (heavy rain, snow, or really cold), I will tip more. For reference, I'm usually ordering one pizza and a 2L of soda, which runs around 15-17 dollars including delivery fee.

You tip $5.00 for a $17.00 delivery?? That sounds really high to me.

When I was working full time and had more disposable income, I once tipped 10 dollars on a 20 dollar delivery during an ice storm because it meant I didn't have to leave my house, and I appreciated that he was out delivering. Tipping is something I am willing to budget a bit more for. It's an easy way to give someone else a bit of a lift in their day, and I've had or known others who have had similar jobs myself, and received similar lifts from my customers. It's an easy way to pay it forward. But really, when you think about the time involved in delivering an order to someone's home as opposed to their table, it's reasonable to tip a bit more. 5 on 17 is a tad under 30%, which certainly isn't excessive.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've had family who drove delivery. Knowing how much the job sucks, I tip as generously as I can afford. Sometimes it's only a bit, sometimes 30 percent.
  • toddandwendy3
    toddandwendy3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you really want to burn calories the are many things you can do in lieu of a tip.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you really want to burn calories the are many things you can do in lieu of a tip.

In.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Who cares what a person's wage is? Tipping is a thank you for a service provided,I hate when people are so cheap!

On an international forum like this it isn't about being cheap, it is about different norms in diffferent places.

In australia, tipping isn't the norm, other than perhaps a loose change or round up to make it easier sort of thing.

I would just tip enough to round it up to the nearest note eg if a pizza with delivery cost $23 I would pay $25 and say keep the change.
    That is here in Australia.

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Don’t ask a Canadian.

my fiance is canadian and tips more than i do (and im pretty damn generous)

Yeah, I am trying to figure out the “don’t ask a canadian”. Aside from when I grew up(dirt poor and with restaraunt food/takeout maybe once a year), I have always tipped. People around me have always tipped. Is it a thing that Canadians don’t tip?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Who cares what a person's wage is? Tipping is a thank you for a service provided,I hate when people are so cheap!

Me too! I'm curious how much you usually tip pilots and police officers? :+1:
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My tipping method: Take the total of the bill, move the decimal one spot to the left, double that number, and there's your tip (AKA 20%).

Example: The bill is $27.50. Move the decimal to make it $2.75. Double that, which is $5.50. Tip $5.50 (more if they were really good, less if they were horrific).
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I'd tip alot if it was part of our culture and they were using their own vehicles,gas money,etc
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I tipped a pilot three bucks once. He was more than happy to take my money from me. Police officers not so much. It's apparently a bad practice.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have worked in the food service industry, so I generally always tip well for good service. I can probably count on one hand the times I have tipped less than 15%. When tipping, I generally do around 15-20% and then round to the nearest dollar. So, if with tip my total is $24.47, I round to $25.00. But, honestly, the main reason I round to a whole number is more because of my weirdness than actual tipping generosity.