Less alcohol - Nov 2017 - one day at a time

Replies

• MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Still have not made my first no alcohol day.... maybe today.

got to start somewhere.....you can do it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    11/1-2 oz rye whiskey
    11/2-15 oz Pinot Noir
    11/3- nothing
    11/4- too much wine
    11/5-nothing
    11/6-nothing
    11/7- nothing
    11/8- 5 oz Chardonay and 2oz rye whiskey
    11/9-5 oz Pinot Noir
    11/10-15 oz Chardonnay
    11/11-5oz Malbec
    11/12-15 oz Chardonnay
    11/13-nothing
    11/14-nothing

I did well the past two days. Wednesdays are usually a cocktail night as we watch Survivor. I am going to try to resist tonight though.

@FattieBabs -My hubby tends to do that too!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    @lporter229
    Hmm, I think we need to retrain our husbands. He is cooking risotto tonight. I said I did not want any alcohol and he asked me "are you sure"... he used to not drink wine if I wasn't but has, more recently, opened a bottle in front of me anyway. I am not finding this helpful!
  • lporter229
    edited November 2017
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    @lporter229
    Hmm, I think we need to retrain our husbands. He is cooking risotto tonight. I said I did not want any alcohol and he asked me "are you sure"... he used to not drink wine if I wasn't but has, more recently, opened a bottle in front of me anyway. I am not finding this helpful!

Same with my hubby. And risotto is a problem in its own right because you need to (well, I guess you don't NEED to) open a bottle of wine to cook with. Total trap!

On the other hand, if I can actually get my husband to cook something, I will gladly "sacrifice" by drinking the wine ;)
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited November 2017
    I am going to join this challenge as I am starting to slip again and could use some accountability. I tried for a long time to moderate my daily glass of wine or beer and it was finally inflammation from an injury that motivated me to try cutting out alcohol, sugar and flour for a month. It made a big difference in my tendonitis but I also managed to lose a lot of weight that I had put on recently! I enjoyed not being foggy-headed and my sleep improved (slightly). I decided to modify my alcohol rule after that first month to one drink on the weekend but it has started creeping up a bit since then and I am finding myself tempted more often. One think that has helped me stay on track has been having kombucha with dinner instead of wine or beer. It has a complex flavor and I buy the dry versions so it isn't very caloric or sweet (which I don't enjoy). Anyway, I thought I'd join and report with the idea of limiting to 2 drinks per week. I've lost almost 25 lbs since mid July and I am hoping to jump start the final 5-10 lbs to go and create a sustainable system going forward.

@FattieBabs and @lporter229 I have a husband that is a very bad influence. I haven't been able to convince him to give up the weekday drink with dinner so I am going to have to continue to fight temptation on my own.
  • I drink too much alcohol and then of course the snacks that go with the drinking! I will follow this thread. IF I do NOT drink alcohol then I "instantly" feel less bloated and less fat! I can go a few days or a week with no alcohol but I hope to gain motivation from this thread to at least make it to DEC. 31, 2017 with a clean no alcohol body! Good LUCK everyone!
  • I can do a few days straight with no alcohol, but then I binge. I can sit and stare at ice cream or cookies or cake or chocolate forever in my house and NOT touch the sweets. I must touch the alcohol if it is there! Blah!
  • JennyRATL wrote: »
    7 Days in.
    Big deal for me. I honestly don't think I've gone this long without drinking at least one glass of wine in years unless I was sick or hungover.

My regular pattern:
    Hey, I'd like a glass while I cook.
    Well, I have to have one with dinner.
    Now, a glass of wine on the sofa to relax.
    Well, heck, there's only one glass left, may as well have it while I watch this movie.
    Boom. I just drank a bottle of wine on a Tuesday night.

Then the weekends were more of the same, plus.
    My poor liver. And I packed on the pounds.
    Your testimony Jenny does sound like my habit too.
    Good Luck ! I need willpower too.
  • Bustass2016
    Bustass2016 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm in. I usually don't add them to my food log because I don't wanna know. Time to face the facts. Beers are sabotage my fitness a little during the week.
  • ednanational
    ednanational Posts: 1 Member
    I am in! Late but better than never. :-) Add me: ednanational
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Didn't make it over the Wednesday mid-week hump. Enjoyed a small glass of beer and then a shared bottle of cremant. Oh well. It was very yummy.
    No wine tonight!
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    So far so good....Yesterday was one of those days that I normally would drink a few because it was rough. I don't break a promise I make to myself. I can do it because I want to feel better and I'll actually enjoy it more when I do have a drink.
  • naomiday85
    naomiday85 Posts: 38 Member
    I’m still going strong, 13 days and not a drop with only 2 cigarettes as well
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Hey guys!
    We are over the mid-month hump!!! Yay us!

I've made it 15 days. Going to spend the weekend relaxing in the mountains so I may have to cave and enjoy some nice red wine in front of the fireplace.

Even if you're not going fully 100% without, just know that even cutting back is better than no changes at all, right?
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Two glasses of cab last night, not terrible, but not what I intended. Had to have red wine in the chili recipe, and then, you know, had to see how good it was. It was good, too good!
  • lporter229
    11/1-2 oz rye whiskey
    11/2-15 oz Pinot Noir
    11/3- nothing
    11/4- too much wine
    11/5-nothing
    11/6-nothing
    11/7- nothing
    11/8- 5 oz Chardonay and 2oz rye whiskey
    11/9-5 oz Pinot Noir
    11/10-15 oz Chardonnay
    11/11-5oz Malbec
    11/12-15 oz Chardonnay
    11/13-nothing
    11/14-nothing
    11/15-12 oz wine

Two glasses of wine last night. Calling it a victory because I purposefully stopped after the second glass when I was thinking about pouring another. The thing is, I enjoy drinking wine and having a cocktail with my husband in the evening. I really don't want to give that up. I just need to prove to myself that I have control over it, so last night was good.
  • lporter229
    Two glasses of cab last night, not terrible, but not what I intended. Had to have red wine in the chili recipe, and then, you know, had to see how good it was. It was good, too good!

At least it was only two. When I cook with wine I sometimes finish the whole bottle because I allow myself to believe that I put more of it in the food than I actually did!
  • mmccool719
    mmccool719 Posts: 28 Member
    Caved last night too after a daunting 2 hour commute home from work. I feel foggy today as a result. Scale still moving in right direction so I can’t get too upset with myself. Guzzling water like crazy today to flush out.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    I am finding this thread quite inspiring - it is very easy to guilt oneself up…. I think I am going to continue this thread contribution after November and up to Christmas! Thanks for the inspiration everyone!