Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm a little confused by the order of the words, but not at all surprised to see Fung and useless in the same sentence.

"Something something Fung Useless something something".

Actually it was ...Fung - The Useless... :laugh:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    malibu927 wrote: »
    OMG, is Fung the guy who periodically creates troll accounts on here and rants about how calories don't exist and we're all morons?? Tell me he is.

Is the article in all caps with crazy slurs?

Does it contain references to Dr. Feinman?

I always giggled assuming that was a misspelling of Feynman. A google search tells me there is a Dr Feinman, but he isn't a physicist.

There's a Dr. Richard D. Feinman who has "research" (and I say that in the most derisive sense possible) published on PubMed saying "a calorie is a calorie violates the second law of thermodynamics" and preaching metabolic advantage from keto diets. I always figured that's who shouty guy was talking about.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    OMG, is Fung the guy who periodically creates troll accounts on here and rants about how calories don't exist and we're all morons?? Tell me he is.

Is the article in all caps with crazy slurs?

Does it contain references to Dr. Feinman?

I always giggled assuming that was a misspelling of Feynman. A google search tells me there is a Dr Feinman, but he isn't a physicist.

There's a Dr. Richard D. Feinman who has "research" published on PubMed saying "a calorie isn't a calorie" and preaching metabolic advantage from keto diets. I always figured that's who shouty guy was talking about.

That makes sense. I thought it was a misspelling of Feynman because he was always on about the physicists agreeing with him and how us sheeple don't know any better.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    I guess we should plan our meals according to the concept of how much money we spend on each grocery. It's funny how everything is always seen through the monetary analogy.

No our body doesn't care about calories and doesn't "count them" since the concept of calories is a socially agreed upon concept through which we humans represent the changes in energy levels and patterns included in bodily mechanisms involved in feeding the body and energy transformation needed to sustain life (or some sort like that). Giving this sort of a concept a quantitative measure make it easier for us humans to wrap our heads around it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    delgrand wrote: »
    I don't think that everything he says is wrong. I think he exaggerates some concepts to promote his book.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Is that what they were searching for? Fung's acorns?

*snort*
This discussion has been closed.