Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are abs made in the kitchen?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can exercise your way out of a bad or mediocre diet, so long as you control calories or do sufficient exercise that even with a bad diet you don't overeat.

Of course, if by a bad diet one means "more calories than one is burning," then it's a tautology.

You can certainly outrun a twinkie or a Bacon cheeseburger.

It's unlikely that you can outrun a box of twinkies and 4 bacon cheeseburgers

I'm not a runner, do you think it's possible to out-kickbox a cheeseburger? I do have a pretty mean uppercut.

I'd recommend BJJand trying to get it to Tap-Out

I don't know...might get a heel hook or arm bar thrown at you...then what?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    How about running to the donut shop, eating donuts, then running home?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Depends on where the donut shop is. If it's down the block, probably not... If it's a couple miles away, you might be ok.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Depends on where the donut shop is. If it's down the block, probably not... If it's a couple miles away, you might be ok.

might have to be more than a couple of miles.

I had a donut over the weekend...chocolate toasted coconut...479 calories...I think I might have to run at least 5 miles to burn that off...
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    2-3 times, 1 or 2 exercises in a week enough for abs.
    later on to see abs, get rid off layer of fat :D
  • stanmann571
    Options
    93pear93 wrote: »
    2-3 times, 1 or 2 exercises in a week enough for abs.
    later on to see abs, get rid off layer of fat :D

There's 0 need to do any specific ab exercises,

That being said, because your core(abs and back) are used for everything, theres no harm in doing light to moderated core work every day.

But no reason to every to heavy/hard ab work.

• FAAB_too
    FAAB_too Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    FAAB_too wrote: »
    I believe you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. I think it takes both nutrition and exercise.

What about a mediocre diet, can you exercise your way out of that? A decent one? Where's the line?

I was more speaking of fast food as a staple, fried foods, sweets, a bag of chips, very high calorie foods, etc...Like if you eat 5000 calories a day and only burn 2000 sort of thing. I wasn't saying you had to be full on salad and pine nuts. I was speaking of good choices and moderation. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I believe you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. I think it takes both nutrition and exercise.

What about a mediocre diet, can you exercise your way out of that? A decent one? Where's the line?

I was more speaking of fast food as a staple, fried foods, sweets, a bag of chips, very high calorie foods, etc...Like if you eat 5000 calories a day and only burn 2000 sort of thing. I wasn't saying you had to be full on salad and pine nuts. I was speaking of good choices and moderation. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

the only part of this that is actually accurate is the eating 5k calories and only burning 2k...the rest is invalid as far as it goes.

you can eat fast food all the time and still maintain/lose weight same as other foods oh and hit macros consistently.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

the only part of this that is actually accurate is the eating 5k calories and only burning 2k...the rest is invalid as far as it goes.

you can eat fast food all the time and still maintain/lose weight same as other foods oh and hit macros consistently.

You can even eat 5k calories a day and lose weight. Although it would certainly be challenging.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

You can even eat 5k calories a day and lose weight. Although it would certainly be challenging.

Yup but I know those that can...aka my son...young guy, does BJJ 4x a week, runs and it active...eats lots...cause well he likes food...I bet he eats 5k...and loses slowly or maintains.
  • FAAB_too
    FAAB_too Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I am sorry I commented. I was obviously speaking from my own experiences. That's why my original comment started with I believe....i thought these forums were to share experiences and what works for us. I apologize for upsetting the flow.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I am sorry I commented. I was obviously speaking from my own experiences. That's why my original comment started with I believe....i thought these forums were to share experiences and what works for us. I apologize for upsetting the flow.

That's not actually true. You didn't say "for me, I have to eat well in order to have a calorie balance that will allow me to lose or maintain." That's a personal statement from one's own experiences and could well be true. It's mostly true for me, as I can have occasional days of poor nutrition, but I find it WAY easier to maintain or lose weight if I am focused on nutrition -- mostly because being active and eating well tend to go together for me. (I would add that I tend to naturally eat well when I'm being active, though, so the causal chain goes in the other direction and it would be harder for me to decide not to bother with exercise and lose than to just focus on exercise and controlling calories.)

Also, I would say that this is personally true due to mental factors -- I tend to be hungry and overeat (or overeat even if not hungry) if I choose the wrong foods (I would also not enjoy a really nutrient poor diet and find it odd that people do). I am aware that for me, as well as everyone, I could lose on a crappy diet if it were calorie controlled sufficiently, but in the real world (without some kind of experiment to motivate me, anyway), I could not stick to it.

What you said is that you believe that nutrition is essential to weight loss, that it is not possible to outrun a poor diet. Saying "I believe" before it doesn't make this a personal statement about you and your own experience, it is still a claim that is being made more generally -- that people in generally must eat well in order to lose, and by "eat well" you specifically identified a nutritious diet. One obviously can eat a diet that is deficient (compared to the ideal) in lots of nutrients and still lose. Not only are there plenty of people who lose on junk food diets, dumb fad diets (many of which are nutrient poor), eating lots of fast food and few veg, but there are also people on diets they claim are chosen for health reasons that are probably nutrient poor -- one example is the raw food/all fruit all the time YouTube stars many of whom are way short in protein (and specifically lysine), in all likelihood. Another is at least a segment of those who do super-duper low carb and don't eat vegetables or a variety of organ meats and instead lots of fat bombs (NOT saying this is the case for all or even most low carbers).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

How many people actually way 5,000 calories of chips and sweets and then burn 2,000 through exercise to counter it? Is this what people think?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    i thought these forums were to share experiences and what works for us. I apologize for upsetting the flow.

And I want to be clear I was trying to clarify/explain the responses above, not suggesting that your comments were unwelcome. No flow was upset at all.

But this is the debate section and we discuss facts and ideas, and while personal experiences may be relevant it is not the purpose of this forum to just share opinions/experiences and expect no comment or push back.

Also, in case it was unclear, I think eating a nutritious diet is important and I do and I would recommend it highly.

I just think that it's important to acknowledge the truth, and many, many people lose while eating poor diets. There are enough reasons to eat a good diet without having to pretend it's essential for weight loss.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

How is that "accurate" it's a made up scenario.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you have worked hard to build the muscle under neath then yes, abs are made in the kitchen. At least by eating right, you will reveal all of the hard work you have done.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, abs like to hide unobtrusively until needed. I had surgery last week under general on my bladder. (Non-invasive cancer detected, lesions are out, prognosis excellent, thank G-d!) When I was in recovery and about to swallow my first sip of liquid in over 24 hours, the nurse asked me if I could "try to sit up" while he cranked up the bed behind me. I got the impression that what he really meant was "Could you try not to be dead weight?" Well, with what felt like no effort on my part, I just sat up relatively straight. The nurse's comment was, "Wow. You've got trunk muscles."

For the record, I'm still about 22 lbs above my BMI range. I have some muscle definition on my arms and legs, but haven't lost enough belly fat to reveal much muscle there. (I'm smaller, sure, but there's no definition.) But it looks like, visible or not, the training is paying off.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    rchelen wrote: »
    The scale won't move with diet alone for me. I have to workout every single day to see any losses. :(

then you are logging inaccurately...

exercise is not a requirement for weight loss otherwise lots would be in trouble and not losing weight and then there are those who lose and don't exercise...

For me personally, it seems to be a requirement for less-painful weight loss. I knew that by exercising, I was managing my stress better. Which meant less stress-eating. Because I exercise 'long' rather than 'intense' (2 hour walks? Yes please. 20-minute runs? No thanks.), I had less time on my hands. Ergo: less boredom eating.

And I liked the extra calories; even eating back half of them I didn't feel hungry and I was losing pretty steadily.

For three days after the surgery, I was... disinclined to exercise. I'm on medical restriction not to lift over 3lbs for the next week, so there goes strength training. And my oncologist is referring me to a hospital dietician to work out a safe exercise program for core, because he's not sure what bodyweight exercises are okay right now. More than that, I had a catheter in me and didn't really want to go walking outside in case of... embarrassment.

I figured: no biggie. Just eat the base 1240 I'm on now to lose 1lb/week and forget the exercise calories. I was hungry. Okay. So I'd revise it to 1/2 lb/week and eat around 1450. Still hungry.

Monday, the catheter came out. Tuesday, I went for a walk. And suddenly, the hunger became controllable again. It wasn't even a long walk by my standards. (An hour. Like I said, I often do two.) But it was enough to get back in the saddle.

I agree with you 100% that you can lose weight without exercise. I've done it before. But I find that for me, exercise makes it a lot easier.