Complete waste of calories

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Fudge from Fresh Market deli. I am diabetic so I have to count carbs as well as calories and it's a rare treat when I have something like this, but my husband was eating it, it looked delicious, and I decided that since I had the calories to spare and it was a good blood sugar control day for me I would go ahead. Not as delicious as it looked, so sweet as to be nasty and little if any chocolate flavor. Plus it spiked my glucose more than it should have, so I think the portions are underestimated on the package (didn't weigh, my fault really, but my guess would have been that a single piece was twice the weight they claimed, and my bg test was consistent with my guess).

Not going to do that again!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I pretty much stopped eating saltine crackers. I ate whole sleeves of crackers before. Now I don't buy them because I'd rather use those calories on tastier or more nutritious foods.

With cheese or a snack, my favorite has become Ak-Mak (Armenian) sesame crackers; serving of 5 has 110 cals, 2g fat, 4g fiber and 5g protein (they're big crackers, by the way: each is maybe 1 by 3.5 inches).
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A lot of stuff, my diet is pretty different than before. Mostly it's baked goods made with shortening when it would be butter if homemade, what's the point of it lasting long on the shelf if it tastes bland?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Most pizza just isn't worth the calories. I love a good pizza, but that's never what I wind up with. And I don't want to take on the calories from a mediocre one.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I pretty much stopped eating saltine crackers. I ate whole sleeves of crackers before. Now I don't buy them because I'd rather use those calories on tastier or more nutritious foods.

With cheese or a snack, my favorite has become Ak-Mak (Armenian) sesame crackers; serving of 5 has 110 cals, 2g fat, 4g fiber and 5g protein (they're big crackers, by the way: each is maybe 1 by 3.5 inches).

I like the WASA crackers ... the Thins have 80 calories and 8 grams of whole grains per servings and taste great with thin slices of avocado on them. The Light Rye are also thin and crisp with 60 calories for 2 but only 3 grams of fiber ... they make a great snack with a slice of turkey or ham or a dollop of tuna or egg salad on them.

PS ... and for me, cheese goes with slices of apple or pears!
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    45 calorie bread. Yeah, it’s less calories....but it’s less everything else too. I’ll just eat one slice of really good wheat or Italian now. *shudders* gah it’s so bad.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    Today I ate a hostess cupcake. Ugh. I regretted that one, I don't even like them! I usually resist those sorts of temptations at work but I was having a hungry moment. :D
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm the worst... I've thrown away more food than I like to admit after one bite because it wasnt good enough to use my calories on
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Can not waste food. Depression raised mother drilled the don’t waste food mantra into me.

Therefore I’ve become quite picky. Rice, most bread, most crackers, all pastries (except twice a year a chocolate croissant), pizza (except twice a year Chicago stuffed pizza), apples, ... the list is long and getting longer. If I don’t LOVE it, I’m not going to buy it, and certainly not going to accept if offered.

Most everything on that list I don’t miss. Except saltine crackers. I miss those.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »
    For me it would be beer, I do enjoy a glass of wine here or there but when everyone heckles me when we are out and drinking it can be hard for me to explain that I would rather be eating ice cream then drinking my calories.

I completely agree with this!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Almost all fast food and non-homemade baked goods. Donuts, muffins, bagels. Nonalcoholic caloric drinks. Most candy, including homemade. Beef and dairy fat. Most deep fried foods, especially sweets and vegetables. Breaded chicken wings. Most frozen meals or desserts.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am all for moderation, glad a few of you caught that, but yes, I'll set myself up to eat something that I think is going to hit the spot and then it doesn't. I dislike wasting food (and waste in general) but prioritizing my health and habits means I'm not punishing myself by finishing something that isn't working.

I used to eat things like wendy's cheeseburgers and I *looked forward to them* -- now? no. If I'm going to have a burger, I'm going to make sure it is worth every calorie.

Those of you talking about wine vs. icecream and the like, you are my people :smiley: