What foods do you hate but you wish you didn't?

I've tried so hard to like porridge but I just can't do it. The texture is just blurgh for me.
Also don't like
Peanut butter
Greek yoghurt
Protein shakes
Smoothies

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Bread
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I've tried so hard to like porridge but I just can't do it. The texture is just blurgh for me.
    Also don't like
    Peanut butter
    Greek yoghurt
    Protein shakes
    Smoothies

Why do you wish you didn't hate those things?
  • KUAngie
    KUAngie Posts: 19 Member
    Eggs, fish
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2017
    Eggplant. It's a staple in a lot of vegetarian cooking and I just can't stomach it. I've tried it every way and every method. The amount of time I've spent on that stupid vegetable...

It used to be cilantro, but I actually taught myself to like it, along with orange squashes. The eggplant has defeated me though.

Also the thought of someone hating bread makes me sad inside. I love bread.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Butternut squash. Most winter squash really, and especially squash bisque.
  • I wish I liked Tuna! Cheap cheap cheap and easy to prepare/eat. But I can barely stomach other fishes, and tuna has too much of a "meaty" texture for me :(
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I can't think of any foods I don't like except maybe liver and really I don't care if I like it or not since I never cook it.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Also don't like
    Peanut butter
    Greek yoghurt
    Protein shakes
    Smoothies

Because they look delicious!
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    celery, strawberries, sweet potatoes, raspberries, blackberries.
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Fish.
  • luciegumise
    luciegumise Posts: 11 Member
    Mushrooms....it’s fungus!!!
    Coriander....tastes like soap
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    Mustard and cabbage.

I love spicy foods and mustard is a calorie friendly condiment - but I LOATHE it.
    Cabbage because it's calorie friendly and a lot of people I know cook it frequently, so I encounter it frequently, and I really really don't like it. Also then I might like brussel sprouts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Roasted chestnuts. Everyone has such fun eating and enjoying them at Christmas and I just can't get into it
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Mushrooms,
    Brussell Sprouts
    Chowder even though i love fish.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Also don't like
    Peanut butter
    Greek yoghurt
    Protein shakes
    Smoothies

My question too.

If I had such limited tastes that I had trouble getting a balanced diet (like those who claim to hate all vegetables), sure, I'd wish I did not (although I think that can be changed anyway). But why would it bother you to hate specific foods you don't need to eat?

I hate canned tuna, cold cereal, and grapefruit, plus caraway seeds and various other things. As a kid, I was more likely to be put in a situation where I had to eat something I disliked (or it would be considered rude -- I don't think I was ever forced to do canned tuna, but PB&J sandwiches and cold cereal and some awful casseroles), so that was more of an issue, but one thing about being an adult is that it no longer matters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Eggplant. It's a staple in a lot of vegetarian cooking and I just can't stomach it. I've tried it every way and every method. The amount of time I've spent on that stupid vegetable...

It's often done poorly, but Indian preparations turned me around. Also baba ganoush, and I don't really mind a lasagna with eggplant. Also, I tend to enjoy Japanese eggplants, I think they cook better. That I can enjoy just sauteed more easily.
    Also the thought of someone hating bread makes me sad inside. I love bread.

I'm super picky about bread. I hate most supermarket mass market packaged types, weird texture thing (especially white bread, but not only, we got whole grain when I was a kid and I didn't care for it either, although I thought it was less bad). This was a problem when I was a kid, but no longer is at all, I can just eat bread I like (although I tend only eat it occasionally). I'd occasionally have fresh-baked bread, and I loved that, and I liked some restaurant stuff and rolls. (There is way more bread that I like commonly available now compared to when I was a kid.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited November 2017
    Also don't like
    Peanut butter
    Greek yoghurt
    Protein shakes
    Smoothies

Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that I can't eat peanut butter (intolerance) and that I find that Greek yoghurt has the texture of lard. My life is just fine without either ... neither are necessary.

As for protein shakes and smoothies ... never had either, so I don't know what I'm missing. But I've made it to 50 without them, so I'm sure I can continue to live without them.

One thing I do wish I liked (once in a while) is peppers. Green peppers are horrible ... they leave me with so much indigestion and feeling really sick. Yellow and red aren't quite as bad, but they aren't much better. Unfortunately so many restaurants include them on salads, and sometimes include a massive quantity of them. I feel bad sometimes when I pick them all off and leave them in a pile on the edge of the plate. Somebody went to all the trouble of cutting them up and putting them on my salad ... and I just can't eat them unless I want to feel awful the rest of the day.

I don't like mushrooms and most sea food either, but so far I've managed to live without them.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Chia pudding. The consistency is too much for me.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    I wish I liked mushrooms because I'm vegetarian and sometimes the only meatless option at an event or restaurant is mushrooms. I just can't handle their squishy consistency.

Same here. I can't even touch them, those gills on the underside make me shudder.