1200 cals a Day Problem

Options
Hello everyone, It's Day 3 on my journey. I'm 56.5 kg/ 124.5 lbs and 157 cm / 5'2. Any kind of calculator giving me 1200 calories a day to lose weight. First day I kinda cheated and intook 1450~ cals. Yesterday (day 2 ) I completed 1200 calories but like around 11 pm I felt like starving so I ate 150~ cals cheese only. What should I do? Is it because I had a lot carbs yesterday like banana and oatmeals? Do they make me hungry? I had meatballs and eggs too. I don't know what to do :(

Replies

• EvMo92
    EvMo92 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! Your body has to adjust to your new lifestyle, that could be a reason you feel hungry. If you eat enough of protein, you should feel full a bigger part of the day.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Everybody's body is different as far as how they respond to different configurations of macros (carbs/fat/protein). I think the majority of people stay fuller longer on a higher protein and/or fat ratio but there are others who absolutely swear that for them carbs are the only thing that keeps them sated (and within the category of carbs this becomes divided again between those who say starchy carbs sate them and those who say the reason they're sated is because their vegetable carbs have so much fibre). I suppose the thing to do is to play around with your macros combinations for the first week or two and note which combo gives you the easiest time making it through the day on your assigned 1200 calories. Once you've found a workable combo you can go to the 'Goals' tab and manually set your macros percentages to what you want as opposed to the default setting.

Incidentally this is exactly the boat I was in when I started too. I'm also a short woman and MFP assigned me 1200 calories (I also had a lot more weight to lose than you). As I recall the fourth day I went fabulously off the rails and ate over 2000 calories but it got easier. Just hang in there. You're off to a good start by taking advantage of the resources the MFP community has with these forums.
  • RachsLosses
    RachsLosses Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 too & agree with all, your body will take some time to adjust to eating less. You could start with a smaller loss to begin with, then once you are top of protion control and understanding what foods make you feel full and fit into your calorie goals, take them down again. Agree with Marg too, if I know I have gone over I will try and do some exercises even if its at home. Also, not every day is going to be perfect :) Start understanding what foods you go for & look at healthier alternatives that will keep you ful, experiment a little. :smile: feel free to add me and check out my diary for inspo. Good Luck!
  • merveozyalin
    merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    Everybody's body is different as far as how they respond to different configurations of macros (carbs/fat/protein). I think the majority of people stay fuller longer on a higher protein and/or fat ratio but there are others who absolutely swear that for them carbs are the only thing that keeps them sated (and within the category of carbs this becomes divided again between those who say starchy carbs sate them and those who say the reason they're sated is because their vegetable carbs have so much fibre). I suppose the thing to do is to play around with your macros combinations for the first week or two and note which combo gives you the easiest time making it through the day on your assigned 1200 calories. Once you've found a workable combo you can go to the 'Goals' tab and manually set your macros percentages to what you want as opposed to the default setting.

Incidentally this is exactly the boat I was in when I started too. I'm also a short woman and MFP assigned me 1200 calories (I also had a lot more weight to lose than you). As I recall the fourth day I went fabulously off the rails and ate over 2000 calories but it got easier. Just hang in there. You're off to a good start by taking advantage of the resources the MFP community has with these forums.
    HDBKLM wrote: »

Thanks a lot!
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    Hello everyone, It's Day 3 on my journey. I'm 56.5 kg/ 124.5 lbs and 157 cm / 5'2. Any kind of calculator giving me 1200 calories a day to lose weight. First day I kinda cheated and intook 1450~ cals. Yesterday (day 2 ) I completed 1200 calories but like around 11 pm I felt like starving so I ate 150~ cals cheese only. What should I do? Is it because I had a lot carbs yesterday like banana and oatmeals? Do they make me hungry? I had meatballs and eggs too. I don't know what to do :(

given your stats you should only be aiming to lose 0.5lb per week. change your rate of loss so you can eat more.

how much are you trying to lose?

eating adequate fat and protein may help keep you full.

What? :open_mouth: I thought if I eat 1200 cals I would lose 2lb a week. :(
  • merveozyalin
    Options

given your stats you should only be aiming to lose 0.5lb per week. change your rate of loss so you can eat more.

how much are you trying to lose?

eating adequate fat and protein may help keep you full.

If the OP is sedentary that could well be 0.5lbs a week loss rate...

Do you do any exercise OP? Why is it that you want to lose weight? As has been said, you're already a healthy weight so it might be that exercise will get you where you want to be :)

Yes, I go to gym and do calisthenics (beginner). I aim 4 times a week.
    I want to lose weight because I believe all my weight is nearly made of fat, my muscles feels weak. Also Most of my body fat is storaged on my legs. I looks disportion. Like my upper body is skinny but my legs look really fat somehow. I think it's called being skinny fat and only way to fix it is working out. That's what I read on the internet at least. I really want to feel comfortable with öy body. My mom saying I'm too obssesed and instead of trying to lose weight I should go see a psycholog. :/
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    You get 1200 calories per day to lose weight at maximum rate. At your weight, which is healthy and normal, you can't lose that fast. If you try, you get hungry. You don't get used to undereating, you can do it for a while, until you overeat out of hunger and desperation.

If you want to lose weight, you have to do it slowly. Set up MFP to the smallest weekly amount. Eat the calories it tells you. If you exercise, eat back 50-75% of those calories too.

Then plan your meals in advance so you can have balanced meals and everything in place when you're ready to eat.

Hunger and satiety is individual - subjective, habitual and situational - appetite and hunger isn't the same, cravings and hunger isn't the same. But we all have to eat enough, quality and quantity.

Oh I did not know I can't lose weight that fast eating 1200 cals a day. I guess that's why I failed many times, ended up over eating in the past few years. So I have to do it slowly. :( I'm an impatient person but I will try my best. So I should get more calories. How many should I get a day? Since I workout if I eat more than 1200 I feel like I will get bulky or something. :/