1200 cals a Day Problem

Options
2»

Replies

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, It's Day 3 on my journey. I'm 56.5 kg/ 124.5 lbs and 157 cm / 5'2. Any kind of calculator giving me 1200 calories a day to lose weight. First day I kinda cheated and intook 1450~ cals. Yesterday (day 2 ) I completed 1200 calories but like around 11 pm I felt like starving so I ate 150~ cals cheese only. What should I do? Is it because I had a lot carbs yesterday like banana and oatmeals? Do they make me hungry? I had meatballs and eggs too. I don't know what to do :(

given your stats you should only be aiming to lose 0.5lb per week. change your rate of loss so you can eat more.

how much are you trying to lose?

eating adequate fat and protein may help keep you full.

If the OP is sedentary that could well be 0.5lbs a week loss rate...

Do you do any exercise OP? Why is it that you want to lose weight? As has been said, you're already a healthy weight so it might be that exercise will get you where you want to be :)

Yes, I go to gym and do calisthenics (beginner). I aim 4 times a week.
    I want to lose weight because I believe all my weight is nearly made of fat, my muscles feels weak. Also Most of my body fat is storaged on my legs. I looks disportion. Like my upper body is skinny but my legs look really fat somehow. I think it's called being skinny fat and only way to fix it is working out. That's what I read on the internet at least. I really want to feel comfortable with öy body. My mom saying I'm too obssesed and instead of trying to lose weight I should go see a psycholog. :/

Maybe have a look at the different sections here - I'm nowhere near an expert, but I think what you want to do is called "recomp" (recomposition?). You want to change the amount of muscle/fat you have rather than your overall weight.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

FWIW, I do think that my fitness pal could make it more obvious when you get 1200 calories as the floor rather than to get your desired rate of loss. I'm about your height, and probably similar in terms of activity, but I weigh 88kg. I can just about lose 2 lbs a week on 1200, but I don't want to go that fast!
  • merveozyalin
    merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, It's Day 3 on my journey. I'm 56.5 kg/ 124.5 lbs and 157 cm / 5'2. Any kind of calculator giving me 1200 calories a day to lose weight. First day I kinda cheated and intook 1450~ cals. Yesterday (day 2 ) I completed 1200 calories but like around 11 pm I felt like starving so I ate 150~ cals cheese only. What should I do? Is it because I had a lot carbs yesterday like banana and oatmeals? Do they make me hungry? I had meatballs and eggs too. I don't know what to do :(

given your stats you should only be aiming to lose 0.5lb per week. change your rate of loss so you can eat more.

If the OP is sedentary that could well be 0.5lbs a week loss rate...

Do you do any exercise OP? Why is it that you want to lose weight? As has been said, you're already a healthy weight so it might be that exercise will get you where you want to be :)

Yes, I go to gym and do calisthenics (beginner). I aim 4 times a week.
    I want to lose weight because I believe all my weight is nearly made of fat, my muscles feels weak. Also Most of my body fat is storaged on my legs. I looks disportion. Like my upper body is skinny but my legs look really fat somehow. I think it's called being skinny fat and only way to fix it is working out. That's what I read on the internet at least. I really want to feel comfortable with öy body. My mom saying I'm too obssesed and instead of trying to lose weight I should go see a psycholog. :/

Maybe have a look at the different sections here - I'm nowhere near an expert, but I think what you want to do is called "recomp" (recomposition?). You want to change the amount of muscle/fat you have rather than your overall weight.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

FWIW, I do think that my fitness pal could make it more obvious when you get 1200 calories as the floor rather than to get your desired rate of loss. I'm about your height, and probably similar in terms of activity, but I weigh 88kg. I can just about lose 2 lbs a week on 1200, but I don't want to go that fast!

Oh thanks! I will make a research about recomp.
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    Also you guys recommend lifting. Since I started calisthenics I want to focus on body weight workouts instead of lifting. Is it okay? Or do I have to lift no matter what?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Seriously at your weight why bother dieting? Eat a maintenance and go to the gym or do a different type of workout. If you jog, walk, cycle or dance that should tone up your legs.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    For me, carbs were never that filling. I always felt more full from protein, and of course you can always load up on veggies! Next time you’re so hungry, reach for a salad instead of the cheese. You can make a pretty decent salad (light dressing) for the same or fewer calories.

You’ll learn what works for you as time goes on. I need small snacks at specific times throughout the day, or I get too hungry too!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Also you guys recommend lifting. Since I started calisthenics I want to focus on body weight workouts instead of lifting. Is it okay? Or do I have to lift no matter what?

Body weight workouts are absolutely fine. Its about building strength and using body weight is one way of doing that.
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    For me, carbs were never that filling. I always felt more full from protein, and of course you can always load up on veggies! Next time you’re so hungry, reach for a salad instead of the cheese. You can make a pretty decent salad (light dressing) for the same or fewer calories.

You’ll learn what works for you as time goes on. I need small snacks at specific times throughout the day, or I get too hungry too!

My mom used to cook for me till this year. I live in dormitories for college now. I'm kinda bad at cooking but I learn new recipes every day. I still suck at it when it comes to veggies. All I can do is wash bell pepper lettuce and cucumber then eat them :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot everyone. I'm so glad I posted this or I wouldn't see these big mistakes at all. I wanted to lose 34 pounda because I wanted to become "slim" or maybe a little skinny. It's probably because of the media putting all the pressure on me. I'm aware of it but I can't help it. Every time I go to shopping it's like nothing fits me. I'm not tall or skinny. I know I shouldn't feel bad about it but as I said it's hard to resist seeing all the pretty skinny girls and not feel bad about my weight. But I will try to change my mind set eat healthier ( and more calories :) ) and workout!!

Wait--you wanted to lose 34 pounds off of 124.5? That would put you at a 16.5 BMI. Not healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Ye ye I know >.< I thought if I set my goals high I could accomplish it. But I changed it yay!

what have you changed it to?
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone. I'm so glad I posted this or I wouldn't see these big mistakes at all. I wanted to lose 34 pounda because I wanted to become "slim" or maybe a little skinny. It's probably because of the media putting all the pressure on me. I'm aware of it but I can't help it. Every time I go to shopping it's like nothing fits me. I'm not tall or skinny. I know I shouldn't feel bad about it but as I said it's hard to resist seeing all the pretty skinny girls and not feel bad about my weight. But I will try to change my mind set eat healthier ( and more calories :) ) and workout!!

Wait--you wanted to lose 34 pounds off of 124.5? That would put you at a 16.5 BMI. Not healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Ye ye I know >.< I thought if I set my goals high I could accomplish it. But I changed it yay!

50 kg
  • jamesbeeching
    jamesbeeching Posts: 1 Member
    Options

50 kg

I understand that many of us are on here for the purpose of achieving a goal, hence tracking our weight. But I agree with what most of the others say - you don't carry a lot of weight to begin with. In terms of exercises any form of lifting, whether that be weights or your body weight through calisthenics is good for fat loss. 1,200 calories is a rather aggressive measure to take each day. You're just punishing yourself. I started at around 14st (just under 200lbs) and have worked my weight down to about 12st (170lbs). 80% of this was done through sensible eating, just undercutting my 2,500 calories per day. Or you could net off by week (7x2,500 split differently each day, maybe depending on whether you work out or not). I've gradually lost weight over at least 6 months and now I'm looking to put weight on through muscle.

Just be sensible :-)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Have you considered eating at maintenance and just not eating back exercise calories, hence creating a small deficit?

Broccoli and carrots are other veggies you can easily eat raw, if you're looking to increase your veggie intake. Personally, I found foods higher in fat like cheese and nuts kept me fuller longer.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It's going to take a while to adjust. I'm on 1200 as well. Often I would exercise so I could go over. Lately though I've been under. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Don't get discouraged. Take your time and adjust as necessary. Also, fruits & veggies. They will fill you up and are low cal.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Pick the kind of exercise you enjoy and just stick with it.
  • nursenora7
    nursenora7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need some advise just starting out and need to loose 35 pounds and really discouraged.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Changes take time. Chances are you are not going to make the perfect choices (FOR YOU) right away. Protein, fiber & fat are the usual suspects for satiety.....but it's not the same combination for everyone.

High fiber carbs may be filling for you. Carbs, combined with fat may be filling for you or protein combined with fat may be filling. You just need to keep trying different things.

Meal timing may also help.

1200 is before exercise. If you are active, expect to eat more.

Strength training will shape weight loss results. Inches (lost) are more important than pounds. Lifting heavy is very efficient.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nursenora7 wrote: »
    I need some advise just starting out and need to loose 35 pounds and really discouraged.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Just to be clear MFP telling you "1200 calories a day" is basically MFP telling you "Error, your weight loss goal is too extreme".

MFP refuses to go below 1200 calories no matter what. So what does that mean. If you want to lose 2 pounds a week that would be a deficit of 1000 calories every day. If your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) the amount of calories you burn in a day is 1700 that would mean eating 700 calories a day. MFP will never tell you to eat 700 calories a day though so it will just return the minimum which is 1200. But 1200 is a deficit of 500 calories from 1700 so you would be losing at 1 pound a week even though you told MFP 2 pounds a week.

So if you get "1200" you are basically being too aggressive and need to dial your expectations about how much you can lose over time back a bit. You should probably be aiming for a small deficit or even maintenance and maybe do some heavy lifting if your issues with your body center around feeling "flabby" or weak.

1200 calorie diets are pretty extreme. For whatever reason it seems like these days people interpret "extreme" to be a good thing, but its not...what you want is moderate and sustainable. I wouldn't recommend a 1200 calorie diet to anyone really and certainly not someone who feels at their issue is low muscle.

Yea you're right.Losing 2 pounds a week would be nice since I apend a lot of time and effort counting all these calories cooking all those meals. I would like to see the result fast you know. However, I'm going to sticked to 1450 calories. I hope I see results and not doing anything wrong. I'm scared all these effort will be for nothing. :/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

What? :open_mouth: I thought if I eat 1200 cals I would lose 2lb a week. :(

Stop trying to lose 2 pounds a week when you are in the normal weight range for you height. Try no more than a pound a week, half a pound per week would be better.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you might benefit from a personal stylist. You might be a pear shape. Pants are not always flattering so skirts and dresses might hide the things you want to reduce -- your lower body. Resistance training may add definition but try changing your wardrobe till you see the results you want.