Options

Replies

• SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    Leeg5656 wrote: »

Do you need to be eating that low? What are your current stats?

I'm not sure what you mean? Height? 5'0"

Sorry, height, weight, incidental activity (steps per day/active job) and any exercise. If you do exercise do you eat any of those calories back?

5'0" 190# Desk job, I try to keep active after work, but I don't do traditional exercise yet because I have hip problems. I plan on adding exercise when my hip can handle it.

@Leeg5656 What is your average weight loss per week when you eat 1200 calories/day?[/quote]

1# - 1.5#
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Everted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

A few years back I coined the term exhibitionist introvert.

Not shy, certainly not an extrovert, but given a stage literally or figuratively, able/willing to take charge of the room. But with the social preference of intense private meaningful small group/individual relations.

hahaha! That's me at work. But it's "the cause" that's being the exhibitionist through me, while I want to remain invisible.
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ooh! What game is it?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ooh! What game is it?

Nothing fancy. It's Word Connect. I just love word games.
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    And I don't think the message was that two day refeeds were detrimental or anything, he just wasn't as gung ho about them as he initially was. I just don't remember the logic or reasoning. I need @anubis609 to listen and explain it in a way I can understand it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    And I don't think the message was that two day refeeds were detrimental or anything, he just wasn't as gung ho about them as he initially was. I just don't remember the logic or reasoning. I need @anubis609 to listen and explain it in a way I can understand it.

I remember his as not being gung ho about short refeeds of one day or 5 hour refeeds, which used to be part of his plans.

The reason being that they weren't long enough.

The refeeds needed to be at least two days to have any effect.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Everted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Interesting. I'm an INTP as well, what are the chances! Apparently 3% of the population have this personality type. I'm not exactly anti-social, but my social life happens in bursts when I feel like it. I'm solitary most of the time, but I thoroughly enjoy social interactions when the mood hits.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    When I get my vet wrist slap for having fatties they always say put the food down and take it up when they walk away. The ones not getting their share will soon catch on. And it's true. Chilli naturally wants to hang back but when she's hungry she'll haul *kitten* to get to her food. There's also the feeding separately suggestion. Mine used to be on a twice a day schedule but Horatio needs fed more often (I say needs, I think he's largely playing me but whatevs, I'll spread the food over 4 meals, whatever vague hope of him not destroying everything I own I will pander to).

But yeah, I really want the chip feeders because that would solve a lot of problems.

Edit: I also feed exclusively wet. More filling and it's grain free so less filler an obligate carnivore has no need for).

All of mine but one would love to be fed exclusively wet food :smile: Sammy, however, will starve before he'll eat wet food. Strange, I know. When his mother was weaning them, the other 4 happily went from their momma's milk to kitten wet food before moving on to dry, but Sam went straight from his momma to dry food and will not touch the wet at all. He loves cat treats, but only the crunchy ones - if I get soft one, he won't eat them. Go figure.

anyway, most of my cats would love to be on a wet food diet and I know that a good quality wet food is worlds better than dry, but with 6 of 'em, that's just not an affordable option, especially if I follow the feeding guidelines. And they are so darned finicky! The only thing I can get them to eat is Purina. I've tried all different kinds, getting the expensive stuff from the pet store that is supposed to healthier but nope, no doing - they will literally starve themselves before they'll eat it. And no mixing it in, either - I've tried that and they just pick it out!

Charming, my big, lovable goofball, weighs in at around 20 lbs - and he's not obese! He's just a BIG cat (stands nearly to my knee, and I'm 5'8"). If I follow the feeding guidelines for fancy feast, he'd need around 6 cans a day on wet food exclusively! And considering what they all are supposed to weigh, I'd be going through about 25 cans a day, which in my area would translate to no less than $100 a week in cat food - I love my babies to death, but that's far out of the realm of affordability for me. I just have too many cats.

I think when I get them into my main house, I'm going to have to try that - put only a little out in the morning, and perhaps supplement with canned food that evening (1 can per cat a day is much more doable). The hardest part is that I don't know when Little Bit eats because she's so skittish. I do try to put the food bowls in different locations, but Charming, the big glutton, just follows me around and eats out of all of them. And when I DO put wet food out for them as a treat, I have to keep a close eye on Lizzie - who is very obese :disappointed: She's the one I'm worried about. She'll wolf hers down and then push her sister out of the way to get to hers, and that's because her sister, Dot (the cute one lol) usually takes about 3 bites then prances off to do something else or explore what everyone else has.

The spoiled bunch of them - I buy the 3.5 lb bags of food because if a cat food bag has been open for more than 12 hours, they deem that its unsuitable and will only reluctantly eat it. I'll put food out for them from a bag I opened the day before, and they'll sniff it then look up at me and meow, demanding something fresh. Spoiled rotten, ungrateful lot - and to think that if it wasn't for me, they'd most likely be dead by now as their momma wouldn't have survived much longer on the streets! lol
  • bmeadows380
    edited November 2017
    Options
    how much does activity affect a person's weight? I"ve noticed that my weight will be up on the days following hard work. For instance: all week long, my scale has been reading 280.9 lbs. Yesterday evening, I loaded a pantry by myself into my truck, then came home and unloaded it (with help), and fifteen 40 lb bags of pellets along with a laundry sink, and all this after walking 2 stores for an hour each (I'm remodeling a house). After that, I loaded the pellets into the stove, and then painted for 2 hours or so, a ceiling and walls.

So yesterday, I had my usual 280.9 lbs. This morning? 282 lbs. And at the doctor's office, it read 289 lbs, but I was fully dressed with my shoes on and had had breakfast and drank a 16 oz coffee, so I think I can account for the doctor's scale.

Even though my activity wasn't strength training - I would think painting would be more aerobic, right? - would that account for some of this? Or am I falling for my own wishful thinking?

And I have serious doubts about the results I get from calorielab on how many calories I supposedly burned doing all this painting. 255-446 calories an hour for my 281 lb butt?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Aerobic improvements - increased blood volume and stored carbs - takes weeks to do.

Sore joints/muscles from unusual activity - inflammation, retained water the next day easily.

And did you eat normal stuff, or did the full day mess with that too?

Think about that entry of painting by a pro - no breaks, constant movement, up and down, ect.
    Easily that much calorie burn.

If you take frequent breaks, not that fast movements - then no.

That would be equivalent calorie burn to walking 3 mph on the high end.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Did it feel like that much effort on average the whole time?

It's nice to compare activities like that to walking - especially if you have treadmill - jump on and change speed until it felt about the same level of effort, HR and breathing rate.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Any activity over and above ones norm and engaging muscles in a different and/or more extended period of time can cause water weight fluctuations. And also just because bodies will do what they do!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Interesting. I'm an INTP as well, what are the chances! Apparently 3% of the population have this personality type. I'm not exactly anti-social, but my social life happens in bursts when I feel like it. I'm solitary most of the time, but I thoroughly enjoy social interactions when the mood hits.

We just need a 3rd INTP and that'll pretty much satisfy the 3% lol. That's accurately descriptive of myself as well.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    To set up your diet: calculate the calories needed to be in a deficit > set protein to ~0.8-1.2g protein per lb of lbm > set fat / carbs to taste preference to fill in the rest of the calories.

What does lbm stand for? pounds at maintenance, or lbs I should be and am trying to get to?

Basically, you will have a "sedentary weight" average and an "active weight" average. These can be two different scale weights.

That said, scale weight is not the only metric that should be used when determining health. Mood, body measurements, your mood, outlook on life, energy levels, the mirror, etc., are all going to be factors in determining whether you feel better about including exercise.

I know it's bad, but I am sedentary usually, and on days that I do have an increase in activity, I do notice a difference!

body measurements are coming down, especially from the waist area, but I admit my mood, outlook on life, and energy levels are in the tank and have been for a long, long time. All that factors into the sedentary lifestyle - I have a deskjob that exhausts me mentally, and its a major battle to do much of anything once I get home of an evening. And knowing that I should power through it but don't have the willpower to win the battle makes things worse......
    heybales wrote: »
    Aerobic improvements - increased blood volume and stored carbs - takes weeks to do.

Sore joints/muscles from unusual activity - inflammation, retained water the next day easily.

And did you eat normal stuff, or did the full day mess with that too?

Think about that entry of painting by a pro - no breaks, constant movement, up and down, ect.
    Easily that much calorie burn.

If you take frequent breaks, not that fast movements - then no.

That would be equivalent calorie burn to walking 3 mph on the high end.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Did it feel like that much effort on average the whole time?

It's nice to compare activities like that to walking - especially if you have treadmill - jump on and change speed until it felt about the same level of effort, HR and breathing rate.

I ate normal stuff yesterday, managing to successfully avoid Arby's on my way out of town. I definitely had breaks, but managed to get the ceiling and walls painted in about 2 hours - and that was going along the walls with a brush first as I'm painting paneling, so all the seams had to be hit with the brush before I could roll it. I was definitley sore when I was done, and my shoulder and upper arms, especially of my dominate hand, are tell me that today, too - its hard to swing my purse onto my should today as my arm is complaining about lifting the weight up like that lol

But it didn't affect my breathing rate or anything. I've always considered the calorielab values to be high, but sometimes I check because it would be nice to know what the equivalent expenditure is since MFP doesn't keep values for those kind of activities like the old calorie count website did. But I don't add them back in - its more for curiosity's sake. I set my calorie limit to sedentary and I never eat back any activity mostly because I don't usually have enough activity to account for it (I know, I know - bad!) and to catch the fudges on my logging. On the rare occasion that I will use the calorielab numbers to record activity, I usually divide the number by 4 or 6 or just use the 15 minute number.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

We just need a 3rd INTP and that'll pretty much satisfy the 3% lol. That's accurately descriptive of myself as well.

I'm actually a J right now. I'm 49/51 P/J

Interestingly, on the internet, it seems that INTs are closer to 30% than the 6% the studies show.