Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    If I really want to do pull ups (one day!), I can walk along to the park and use the conveniently located pull up bars :). There's actually a heap of stuff I could use there. If I wanted to workout in public, which i don't...

C'mon girl you know you can!

I am around 76kg now, I can do 5 full chin ups now. 3 full pull ups. I could only do a couple of each not long ago and one of each when I was a lot heavier. And none of each when I was really heavy lol!

You can buy those pull up things for your door jamb as well, so no one needs to see the back in action ; )
    NB, for anyone thinking of embarking on the high carb refeed, you really need to plan getting food in consistently throughout the day so you don't end up with a mega dinner like that. I did actually learn this lesson my first refeed weekend, but when I made the filling for dinner earlier I didn't factor in how much the potato was going to bulk up once I added cottage cheese. Because keeping fats lower plus all the carbs inevitably leads to higher volume, you just about need to plan on having 4-5 meals. Or lots of snacks.

Yep, I found the seemingly vast amounts of carbs pretty daunting, rather than ooh yeah I get to eat all the sweets/sweet things, etc...I usually have 3 main meals, plus lots of snacks. 3 day refeed was main meal, snack, main meal, snack, main meal, snack and then the lots of snacks as usual as well...as I said previously my carb go tos were cereal, crumpets and sweets (marshmallows, fruit pastilles and jelly snakes). The thought if a kg of cooked rice or I have no idea how much potato just did not enthrall me to be honest...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    NB, for anyone thinking of embarking on the high carb refeed, you really need to plan getting food in consistently throughout the day so you don't end up with a mega dinner like that. I did actually learn this lesson my first refeed weekend, but when I made the filling for dinner earlier I didn't factor in how much the potato was going to bulk up once I added cottage cheese. Because keeping fats lower plus all the carbs inevitably leads to higher volume, you just about need to plan on having 4-5 meals. Or lots of snacks.

Yep, I found the seemingly vast amounts of carbs pretty daunting, rather than ooh yeah I get to eat all the sweets/sweet things, etc...I usually have 3 main meals, plus lots of snacks. 3 day refeed was main meal, snack, main meal, snack, main meal, snack and then the lots of snacks as usual as well...as I said previously my carb go tos were cereal, crumpets and sweets (marshmallows and fruit pastille and jelly snakes). The thought if a kg of cooked rice or I have no idea how much potato just did not enthrall me to be honest...

I tend to go down the sweet route too. Had iced buns last weekend, cereal, lebkuchen, oh and burger buns for my burgers. I could probably go to town pretty well on some soft fresh bread too. I'm not sure yet what this weekend will involve. Probably more cereal for sure.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    As for exercise, you don't have to exercise for weight loss, but I am in the camp of everyone such do some sort of resistance training. Bodyweight would be a good place for you to start. Have you ever tried yoga? I love yoga, and you can do it at home. Check out Yoga with Adriene on Youtube. She has a beginners series, and also foundations videos for individual poses to help learn those.

Thank you!

Of all the types of working out that I've tried, strength training was the one that I had the most interest in - I hate aerobics classes, can't walk on a treadmill (something about my walking gait messes with the moving belt and unbalances me unless I hold on tightly to the handrails - and this happens no matter the model or brand of treadmill), and haven't had much interest in bikes or elliptical. I do enjoy hiking, but that's not exactly something I can do several days a week lol. I've tried exercise videos but found them boring very quickly!

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    People seem to be stuck in pending limbo for a while in Lyle's group. I'm under the impression that some of the vetting comes from a general glance at your list of "friends of friends" or groups you're a part of. Even some of the people I invite get stuck. I have no explanation other than it's so flooded with requests that vetting each person is just a complete ball ache. I don't even pay attention to anyone's request in the group I admin lol. I just assume someone else will let them in (ಥ﹏ಥ)

Oh god, I've probably got all kinds of crap in terms of pages I follow. And probably groups that people have added me to that I've never gotten around to unfollowing.

Yeah the occasional time I do look at group join requests and if I happen to see "X is a member of 423 groups" I'm kind of like "sweet hell, why should I let you in here?" .. but I'll approve them anyway (because of vetting laziness) and if they spam/don't read the pinned post = instant ban :trollface:

Nah, I checked and I'm in, like, seven groups - a few fitness, a few archaeology, a couple cat related. Nothing too derpy.

I'm in a couple of Doctor Who things and a bunch of fitness stuff. They might think I'm a weirdo.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Love seeing all the awesome progress in this thread :)

I wonder how bulk cycles play into the whole deficit break. Just when I get pretty lean (after a bit of a painful deficit)... I don't stay there very long, I reverse diet into a bulk and stay in a surplus for quite a few months, which is a huge breath of fresh air.

Bulk cycles had no impact on me, but I'm going to say I have other stuff going on that makes me not respond in a normal way...

My latest test results are awesome.
    Low thyroid, low oestrogen and testosterone, practically no progesterone. I now have to get acth and igf/gh tests....

The Dr was more concerned about my haematology results, which show I'm slightly anaemic (but not due to iron, which was tested and ok), and have slightly low neutrophils and platelets...she's referred me to a haematologist to make sure that's ok first

No real answers, but at least heading in the right direction! (or a direction?)

Also guessing my body isn't doing anything it's supposed to properly... Yay!

Crud. Well, it's a start for sorting things out eventually, so there *is* that.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    If I really want to do pull ups (one day!), I can walk along to the park and use the conveniently located pull up bars :). There's actually a heap of stuff I could use there. If I wanted to workout in public, which i don't...

C'mon girl you know you can!

I am around 76kg now, I can do 5 full chin ups now. 3 full pull ups. I could only do a couple of each not long ago and one of each when I was a lot heavier. And none of each when I was really heavy lol!

You can buy those pull up things for your door jamb as well, so no one needs to see the back in action ; )

Chin up/pull up bar acquired yesterday and put to use ;) The 'one day' was as in one day I will be able to do them :)

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    As for exercise, you don't have to exercise for weight loss, but I am in the camp of everyone such do some sort of resistance training. Bodyweight would be a good place for you to start. Have you ever tried yoga? I love yoga, and you can do it at home. Check out Yoga with Adriene on Youtube. She has a beginners series, and also foundations videos for individual poses to help learn those.

Thank you!

Of all the types of working out that I've tried, strength training was the one that I had the most interest in - I hate aerobics classes, can't walk on a treadmill (something about my walking gait messes with the moving belt and unbalances me unless I hold on tightly to the handrails - and this happens no matter the model or brand of treadmill), and haven't had much interest in bikes or elliptical. I do enjoy hiking, but that's not exactly something I can do several days a week lol. I've tried exercise videos but found them boring very quickly!

Srsly, if you're choosing between strength and cardio, pick strength. My cardio currently consists of walking only, with weekend day hikes as weather allows (coming into summer here, so they're on the increase).

My maths broke, and my body owes me a hell of a whoosh. But, new training programme, and I've had wicked hay fever the last couple of days (for me, hay fever is a full systemic meltdown, I feel like I have the flu until antihistamines kick in).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    People seem to be stuck in pending limbo for a while in Lyle's group. I'm under the impression that some of the vetting comes from a general glance at your list of "friends of friends" or groups you're a part of. Even some of the people I invite get stuck. I have no explanation other than it's so flooded with requests that vetting each person is just a complete ball ache. I don't even pay attention to anyone's request in the group I admin lol. I just assume someone else will let them in (ಥ﹏ಥ)

Oh god, I've probably got all kinds of crap in terms of pages I follow. And probably groups that people have added me to that I've never gotten around to unfollowing.

Yeah the occasional time I do look at group join requests and if I happen to see "X is a member of 423 groups" I'm kind of like "sweet hell, why should I let you in here?" .. but I'll approve them anyway (because of vetting laziness) and if they spam/don't read the pinned post = instant ban :trollface:

Nah, I checked and I'm in, like, seven groups - a few fitness, a few archaeology, a couple cat related. Nothing too derpy.

I'm in a couple of Doctor Who things and a bunch of fitness stuff. They might think I'm a weirdo.

*cough*
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Srsly, if you're choosing between strength and cardio, pick strength. My cardio currently consists of walking only, with weekend day hikes as weather allows (coming into summer here, so they're on the increase)

Me too! Except heading into winter so hiking on the decrease :(
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Love seeing all the awesome progress in this thread :)

I wonder how bulk cycles play into the whole deficit break. Just when I get pretty lean (after a bit of a painful deficit)... I don't stay there very long, I reverse diet into a bulk and stay in a surplus for quite a few months, which is a huge breath of fresh air.

Bulk cycles had no impact on me, but I'm going to say I have other stuff going on that makes me not respond in a normal way...

My latest test results are awesome.
    Low thyroid, low oestrogen and testosterone, practically no progesterone. I now have to get acth and igf/gh tests....

The Dr was more concerned about my haematology results, which show I'm slightly anaemic (but not due to iron, which was tested and ok), and have slightly low neutrophils and platelets...she's referred me to a haematologist to make sure that's ok first

No real answers, but at least heading in the right direction! (or a direction?)

Also guessing my body isn't doing anything it's supposed to properly... Yay!

Welp, it's probably not much just short of leaning to HRT, but this may be where I might half-heartedly suggest soy isoflavone derivatives of food and supplementation to possibly help, more along the lines of fermented soy; i.e. natto, miso, etc., or edamame. But that's all I can think of at the moment since even delving into google scholar and holistic hormone therapy is going to destroy me lol.

I've had tests indicating slight anemia, not due to iron deficiency either, but because my body doesn't methylate B12, like at all. I have abnormally high B12 levels >2000 (the highest measurable range my lab tests will provide me), and my own research leads me to believe that I'm either at great risk for cancer, liver/kidney failure, or I have leukemia... or I'm just a normally functioning being with a rare case of severely elevated serum B12 levels that don't go anywhere ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

The point was also to possible request a vitamin panel to see if any deficiencies may be present haha, sorry.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    More education. I didn't realise anemia sans iron deficiency was a thing.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's a dysfunction of MTHFR that I have, but it hasn't been officially diagnosed and I'm basically playing doctor with myself (yes, in that way also) since my primary physician just lets me do whatever I want with my lab requests haha.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Yeah, pernicious anaemia. My mum's got it. It took her three doctors before she was diagnosed. She was extremely low on B12 by then. She was having all sorts of problems: fatigue, severe psoriasis on her scalp, and she lost her sense of taste. She has to have regular B12 injections, as does her sister. It was only because of her that I thought to ask for B12 testing when I went to the doctor and I found out that I was low as well. I just take tablets and that seems to be fine.

ETA: I should add that my mum's psoriasis cleared up once she started on the injections and her sense of taste returned. I remember her phoning me up one day to tell me she'd gone to a cafe for lunch and the wrap she ate was delicious. It was a wonderful thing to hear because she hadn't been enjoying food for such a long time.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Yeah, pernicious anaemia. My mum's got it. It took her three doctors before she was diagnosed. She was extremely low on B12 by then. She was having all sorts of problems: fatigue, severe psoriasis on her scalp, and she lost her sense of taste. She has to have regular B12 injections, as does her sister. It was only because of her that I thought to ask for B12 testing when I went to the doctor and I found out that I was low as well. I just take tablets and that seems to be fine.

ETA: I should add that my mum's psoriasis cleared up once she started on the injections and her sense of taste returned. I remember her phoning me up one day to tell me she'd gone to a cafe for lunch and the wrap she ate was delicious. It was a wonderful thing to hear because she hadn't been enjoying food for such a long time.

Ah yes, I did know of it just not putting two and two together with B12 deficiency = pernicious anemia.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Anyway, I've decided to do a two week diet break. The more I thought about it, the more I realised I probably need it at this point. I'll pop back in here when I finish to let you know how it went. I was able to have second breakfast today. Bonus! :)

Yay! Enjoy and make sure to keep hold of the reins, you're just loosening them a little but still controlling your intake.
  • buffgrl
    buffgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hell yes this works. It keeps your body from down-regulating your metabolism. I have never been this lean AND this strong in my life. And it's SOOOOOO much easier to stick to, oh man. Eat like a professional athlete Mon-Fri, then like a "normal person" on the weekends. Couldn't be more perfect. If you stay on the same calories too long, your body will respond by lowering your metabolism, giving you the dreaded "stall". The key is to keep a deficit going overall, despite the cheat days. Once you reach maintenance, you can still do the cheat days just eat 100% on point the rest of the week. Try it if you haven't already- weight loss doesn't have to be miserable!
  • buffgrl
    buffgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A recent study you can look up compared 2 groups of men over a 6 month period- one group stuck to the diet consistently without cheating for the whole 6 months. The second group stayed on the diet for 2 weeks, then went off again for 2 weeks, repeating this pattern. Guess who lost the most weight? The 2 weeks on/2 weeks off group lost 9 POUNDs more than the consistent group. Your body has a natural defense to weight loss/starvation which is triggered by a consistent calorie deficit. Re-feeds keep this from happening and weight loss continues unabated. Plus, you physically and psychologically FEEL so much better.