Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

ETA: I realized this turned into lectured synopsis, but it doesn't hurt to bring it back up once in a while :tongue:

Thank you for the synopsis. I have been logging food and losing weight since March. I am still trying to wrap my brain around all of the information in this thread. Trying to figure out the best long term strategy for maintenance for myself.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Everted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Interesting. I'm an INTP as well, what are the chances! Apparently 3% of the population have this personality type. I'm not exactly anti-social, but my social life happens in bursts when I feel like it. I'm solitary most of the time, but I thoroughly enjoy social interactions when the mood hits.

We just need a 3rd INTP and that'll pretty much satisfy the 3% lol. That's accurately descriptive of myself as well.

I'm actually a J right now. I'm 49/51 P/J

Interestingly, on the internet, it seems that INTs are closer to 30% than the 6% the studies show.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of regular forum participants -- especially the more thoughtful ones -- are Intraverts by nature. The true Extraverts are out doing more social things.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Everted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Interesting. I'm an INTP as well, what are the chances! Apparently 3% of the population have this personality type. I'm not exactly anti-social, but my social life happens in bursts when I feel like it. I'm solitary most of the time, but I thoroughly enjoy social interactions when the mood hits.

We just need a 3rd INTP and that'll pretty much satisfy the 3% lol. That's accurately descriptive of myself as well.

I'm an INTP.
    And my social life occurs in bursts as well. But only with small groups of people. So, when too many people chime in on an MFP thread, I just back away slowly and hope nobody notices me leaving...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To set up your diet: calculate the calories needed to be in a deficit > set protein to ~0.8-1.2g protein per lb of lbm > set fat / carbs to taste preference to fill in the rest of the calories.

What does lbm stand for? pounds at maintenance, or lbs I should be and am trying to get to?

Basically, you will have a "sedentary weight" average and an "active weight" average. These can be two different scale weights.

That said, scale weight is not the only metric that should be used when determining health. Mood, body measurements, your mood, outlook on life, energy levels, the mirror, etc., are all going to be factors in determining whether you feel better about including exercise.

I know it's bad, but I am sedentary usually, and on days that I do have an increase in activity, I do notice a difference!

body measurements are coming down, especially from the waist area, but I admit my mood, outlook on life, and energy levels are in the tank and have been for a long, long time. All that factors into the sedentary lifestyle - I have a deskjob that exhausts me mentally, and its a major battle to do much of anything once I get home of an evening. And knowing that I should power through it but don't have the willpower to win the battle makes things worse......
    heybales wrote: »
    Aerobic improvements - increased blood volume and stored carbs - takes weeks to do.

Sore joints/muscles from unusual activity - inflammation, retained water the next day easily.

And did you eat normal stuff, or did the full day mess with that too?

Think about that entry of painting by a pro - no breaks, constant movement, up and down, ect.
    Easily that much calorie burn.

If you take frequent breaks, not that fast movements - then no.

That would be equivalent calorie burn to walking 3 mph on the high end.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Did it feel like that much effort on average the whole time?

It's nice to compare activities like that to walking - especially if you have treadmill - jump on and change speed until it felt about the same level of effort, HR and breathing rate.

I ate normal stuff yesterday, managing to successfully avoid Arby's on my way out of town. I definitely had breaks, but managed to get the ceiling and walls painted in about 2 hours - and that was going along the walls with a brush first as I'm painting paneling, so all the seams had to be hit with the brush before I could roll it. I was definitley sore when I was done, and my shoulder and upper arms, especially of my dominate hand, are tell me that today, too - its hard to swing my purse onto my should today as my arm is complaining about lifting the weight up like that lol

But it didn't affect my breathing rate or anything. I've always considered the calorielab values to be high, but sometimes I check because it would be nice to know what the equivalent expenditure is since MFP doesn't keep values for those kind of activities like the old calorie count website did. But I don't add them back in - its more for curiosity's sake. I set my calorie limit to sedentary and I never eat back any activity mostly because I don't usually have enough activity to account for it (I know, I know - bad!) and to catch the fudges on my logging. On the rare occasion that I will use the calorielab numbers to record activity, I usually divide the number by 4 or 6 or just use the 15 minute number.

How high would your HR and breathing rate get walking 3 mph?
    4 mph for me is 90 HR, breathing isn't much extra because getting enough oxygen into lungs usually isn't a problem, it's the delivery of enough, and expelling the CO2, that are bigger reasons for increased BR.

Oh - LBM - Lean Body Mass, everything that is not FM - Fat Mass.
    Water, muscles, bones, organs, digestive track, ect.

Just be aware purposely undercutting and just adding to a deficit isn't always the best response either.

Of all the exercise calorie estimates - there is at least one totally wrong answer - Zero.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    4 mph for me is 90 HR, breathing isn't much extra because getting enough oxygen into lungs usually isn't a problem, it's the delivery of enough, and expelling the CO2, that are bigger reasons for increased BR.

Just be aware purposely undercutting and just adding to a deficit isn't always the best response either.

Of all the exercise calorie estimates - there is at least one totally wrong answer - Zero.

I honestly have no idea on HR and breathing rate as I have no way of truly knowing how fast I'm walking when I am walking as I'm never sure of the exact distance - that and I live in WV where everything is on a hill lol

I guess my normal gate is somewhere around 2.5 mph. When I do walk, it's outside and not on a treadmill. I don't have ready access to a treadmill for one, and for two, there's something about my walking gate that makes it rather dangerous - I've tried various models over the years, but every single one does the same thing to me - I'll be walking along and then suddenly, it's like the belt stops for a moment and I jerk and almost fall. I have to be holding on tightly to the hand rails to walk on a treadmill, which then takes a lot of my body weight, which then negates some of the effect of walking. It's happened enough times that I think I've developed a mild fear of getting on one.

I don't have a HR monitor and can't afford a decent one, and have a very hard time finding my pulse points. I can say that when I'm painting or working at the new house, I'm not getting my breath rate up, and it's not a constant effort - there's lots of starts and stops. Still, by the end of the day, I'm tired and my muscles are fatigued, so I've obviously put out some effort; I just can't figure out how to correlate it to anything. It's not a constantly 30 minutes of sustained effort.

so how does one figure out what lean body mass they are shooting for? Since protein is so important, I'd like to know if what I'm getting is adequate, especially as I struggle to get it in. AT my normal deficit of 1400 calories, I'm set for 88 g of protein a day. I currently weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 280 lbs. But I really struggle to get that 88g in!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    To set up your diet: calculate the calories needed to be in a deficit > set protein to ~0.8-1.2g protein per lb of lbm > set fat / carbs to taste preference to fill in the rest of the calories.

What does lbm stand for? pounds at maintenance, or lbs I should be and am trying to get to?

Basically, you will have a "sedentary weight" average and an "active weight" average. These can be two different scale weights.

That said, scale weight is not the only metric that should be used when determining health. Mood, body measurements, your mood, outlook on life, energy levels, the mirror, etc., are all going to be factors in determining whether you feel better about including exercise.

I know it's bad, but I am sedentary usually, and on days that I do have an increase in activity, I do notice a difference!

body measurements are coming down, especially from the waist area, but I admit my mood, outlook on life, and energy levels are in the tank and have been for a long, long time. All that factors into the sedentary lifestyle - I have a deskjob that exhausts me mentally, and its a major battle to do much of anything once I get home of an evening. And knowing that I should power through it but don't have the willpower to win the battle makes things worse......
    Aerobic improvements - increased blood volume and stored carbs - takes weeks to do.

Sore joints/muscles from unusual activity - inflammation, retained water the next day easily.

And did you eat normal stuff, or did the full day mess with that too?

Think about that entry of painting by a pro - no breaks, constant movement, up and down, ect.
    Easily that much calorie burn.

If you take frequent breaks, not that fast movements - then no.

That would be equivalent calorie burn to walking 3 mph on the high end.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Did it feel like that much effort on average the whole time?

It's nice to compare activities like that to walking - especially if you have treadmill - jump on and change speed until it felt about the same level of effort, HR and breathing rate.

I ate normal stuff yesterday, managing to successfully avoid Arby's on my way out of town. I definitely had breaks, but managed to get the ceiling and walls painted in about 2 hours - and that was going along the walls with a brush first as I'm painting paneling, so all the seams had to be hit with the brush before I could roll it. I was definitley sore when I was done, and my shoulder and upper arms, especially of my dominate hand, are tell me that today, too - its hard to swing my purse onto my should today as my arm is complaining about lifting the weight up like that lol

But it didn't affect my breathing rate or anything. I've always considered the calorielab values to be high, but sometimes I check because it would be nice to know what the equivalent expenditure is since MFP doesn't keep values for those kind of activities like the old calorie count website did. But I don't add them back in - its more for curiosity's sake. I set my calorie limit to sedentary and I never eat back any activity mostly because I don't usually have enough activity to account for it (I know, I know - bad!) and to catch the fudges on my logging. On the rare occasion that I will use the calorielab numbers to record activity, I usually divide the number by 4 or 6 or just use the 15 minute number.

^This.

Just to reiterate, while larger individuals can handle a larger deficit, doesn't mean that they should. If you're already feeling like dog crap from normal everyday life, slamming calories even further isn't going to help at all. In fact, it's more than likely going to backfire.

No one should, or should want to, white knuckle their way through a diet. Eat as much as you can that still allows for weight loss. By default, having more mass means you need more calories to sustain that size, so just eat *a little bit less* than that.

Let's say your maintenance calories are around 3000kcal/day, then if you want a 10% deficit, you would subtract 300kcal. 20% would be -600kcal, and so on.

A good rate of loss is around 0.5-1% per week, so if you weigh 200, then a 1-2lb loss / week is fine and well. 1-2lbs = 3500-7000kcal weekly deficit, and while you could theoretically cut 500-1000kcal from your daily average to give you a 2000-2500kcal/day diet, you could create the deficit through eating less or moving more.

Exercise calories are all estimates and it's going to vary, but there's no way you're not ever burning anything, so even if you were conservative in the estimate and used the lower estimated, that is still creating a deficit.

LBM = lean body mass, and you determine that by estimating your body fat % and subtracting that from your total weight. Again, we'll use 200lbs as an example.

If you weigh 200lbs and have 30% bf (which is 60lbs), you would have 140lbs of lbm. You use this number to determine appropriate protein amount.

There are visual body fat estimates online or you could also use the anecdotal formula of 1g of protein per pound of ultimate goal body weight (also known as reference bodyweight). If you weigh 200lbs and would like to weigh 125lbs, you would eat around 125g of protein, just to keep it simple.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I honestly have no idea on HR and breathing rate as I have no way of truly knowing how fast I'm walking when I am walking as I'm never sure of the exact distance - that and I live in WV where everything is on a hill lol

I guess my normal gate is somewhere around 2.5 mph. When I do walk, it's outside and not on a treadmill. I don't have ready access to a treadmill for one, and for two, there's something about my walking gate that makes it rather dangerous - I've tried various models over the years, but every single one does the same thing to me - I'll be walking along and then suddenly, it's like the belt stops for a moment and I jerk and almost fall. I have to be holding on tightly to the hand rails to walk on a treadmill, which then takes a lot of my body weight, which then negates some of the effect of walking. It's happened enough times that I think I've developed a mild fear of getting on one.

I don't have a HR monitor and can't afford a decent one, and have a very hard time finding my pulse points. I can say that when I'm painting or working at the new house, I'm not getting my breath rate up, and it's not a constant effort - there's lots of starts and stops. Still, by the end of the day, I'm tired and my muscles are fatigued, so I've obviously put out some effort; I just can't figure out how to correlate it to anything. It's not a constantly 30 minutes of sustained effort.

so how does one figure out what lean body mass they are shooting for? Since protein is so important, I'd like to know if what I'm getting is adequate, especially as I struggle to get it in. AT my normal deficit of 1400 calories, I'm set for 88 g of protein a day. I currently weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 280 lbs. But I really struggle to get that 88g in!

It's probably easier for you to set your protein according to ideal body weight at this point (eg mid BMI range), at 0.6-0.8g per lb. That's how I do mine, since I don't actually know my lbm, other than a guess. Though I actually aim for 1g per lb of total weight. What are your protein sources now? We can make suggestions as to how you may be able to increase it a bit more, though obviously you'll need to cut some cals from either carbs or fat to do that, unless you can increase TDEE.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

ETA: I realized this turned into lectured synopsis, but it doesn't hurt to bring it back up once in a while :tongue:

Thank you for the synopsis. I have been logging food and losing weight since March. I am still trying to wrap my brain around all of the information in this thread. Trying to figure out the best long term strategy for maintenance for myself.

You're welcome. If it helps in any way, a good long term strategy for maintenance is to have a goal of leanness or fitness that you envision in your mind + a diet with activities you enjoy that allow you to remain adherent towards that goal, while keeping up your mood/energy/outlook/happiness, etc.

If you have fat to lose, use that as a good start for a goal. Your diet will be priority, and your training will support your diet.

If you are aiming to perform better as an athlete, your training will be priority, and your diet will support your training.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Part of me is quietly delighted that when I finally post in the Success Stories it's going to be the most meandering story to get from point A to point B. Like that time I got lost without satnav on holiday this year. None of this "I lost 100lbs in two months by running every day and eating lettuce!" nonsense. I shall be an extreme counterpoint.

Technically it will have taken me three years to get to goal, for a 16kg loss :D (from memory, 61 kg was actually my original goal, then I changed it, changed it again, and then again).

One of the favourite parts of my story is that my breakfast/brunch on my first day was a bagel with cream cheese and soy 'bacon'. That's how a diet should start.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    If you have fat to lose, use that as a good start for a goal. Your diet will be priority, and your training will support your diet.

If you are aiming to perform better as an athlete, your training will be priority, and your diet will support your training.

I have definitely learned that fat loss for me happens in the kitchen.

I'm going to get below 200 lbs. - that will be a 50 lb. loss. Then go to maintenance for a month or so. Then push on to 175 or so - I will let the tape and the mirror guide me there.

• alteredsteve175
    Options
    Part of me is quietly delighted that when I finally post in the Success Stories it's going to be the most meandering story to get from point A to point B. Like that time I got lost without satnav on holiday this year. None of this "I lost 100lbs in two months by running every day and eating lettuce!" nonsense. I shall be an extreme counterpoint.

I prefer the windy road. You get to see and experience so much more :smiley: With the added benefit of not looking like a myopic "diet guru" (read: d-bag) who only knows one method to their own success and feels like it applies to the rest of the population.

RE: the windy road. Is there any other kind? Not in my world. :)

• bmeadows380
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

It's probably easier for you to set your protein according to ideal body weight at this point (eg mid BMI range), at 0.6-0.8g per lb. That's how I do mine, since I don't actually know my lbm, other than a guess. Though I actually aim for 1g per lb of total weight. What are your protein sources now? We can make suggestions as to how you may be able to increase it a bit more, though obviously you'll need to cut some cals from either carbs or fat to do that, unless you can increase TDEE.

In a pipe-dream world, I should weigh in the neighborhood of 160 lbs. For someone who started at 380 lbs, that seems impossible, especially dealing with thyroid and PCOS and depression problems.

But if I use that for my protein I should be eating, then I guess I should be getting 128 - 160g a day.

Right now, I eat eggs and a little canadian bacon for breakfast, switched out with oatmeal 2 or so times a week, and sometimes 1 Tbsp almond butter on thin bread. I'll get a package of lunchmeat and use it as a snack, usually going for half a serving just to head off hunger cravings. I'll have the little protein packages for lunch or leftovers from dinner before or a premade salad, and these usually clock in around 14-17g of protein each and in the neighborhood of 300 calories, and I'll snack on 1 serving of jerky during the weekdays for another 10g. I usually have meat for dinner - I shoot for fish once a week, and then have chicken 2 or 3 times, and beef and pork once in a while. I work to keep it to one serving of meat, though, and try to fill in with veggies like carrots, broccoli, greens, etc. I don't usually have a lot of pasta, rice, potatoes, or couscous during the week. I try to incorporate more beans, but its not very often because of the calorie content.

I love dairy but have to limit my intake or the pipes get clogged, so to speak. If I have a few extra calories of an evening, I'll have a yogurt, and I've found I like skyr the best - around here, there's a brand called Siggi's I can usually find, with 15g protein per container and less than 10g added sugar. I've switched to unsweetened almond milk for my coffee to save on calories. I usually have some cheese as a snack - 1 oz or a single string cheese stick or a babyel round, though they don't have much protein. Lately I've been dragging, so a second 16 oz coffee is often gotten at a self-serve bar, and then I'll use about 1/2 cup skim milk (can't stand black coffee lol)

If I eat out for lunch or breakfast, its usually subway or subway-like places, and I go for flatbread and turkey or ham or chicken, sans cheese and dressing, loaded up on vegetables.

Protein shakes and bars are so high in calories that I don't usually reach for them because I'll have one and be hungry in 30 minutes whereas if I have a lower calorie snack and get hungry again, I have room to spare. At my old house, I could find Think Thin 150 bars that had 10g of protein each and would use them once in a while as a snack, but the regular think thins that have 20g are 220 calories and up so I usually avoid them. And the sugar free ones that I find around here almost all use aspertame for sweetener, and I can't use aspertame - it upsets my stomach.

I'm trying to get a varied diet, trying to work in at least 1 fruit a day and at least 2 servings of vegetables; I guess I'm getting more carbs in than I think I am.

• bmeadows380
    Options

Another INFP Mediator here! 86% introvert. And I have a pessimistic streak too. Like you, I had a very difficult time answering some of the questions. For instance, how I relate to people at work is very different than how I relate at a party or with my children. And what I want to be - my ideals - are sometimes very different than what I actually do. I can think a lot about organizing, for example, but still remain unorganized. And I'm a meticulous planner, but like to keep many options open. Hmm. So yes, some questions were hard to answer. Others were easy, and I found myself passionately clicking "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree".

Some questions were brutally hard to be honest with, like the one "Do you feel superior to others?" My natural inclination was to say disagree, but when I started down the list of my family, friends and acquaintances, I had to admit that I had a bit of a superiority complex. Ouch!

The test results seemed pretty accurate, with a few exceptions. Mediators are known to be very active in supporting causes. I'm not. But that could be because my job is a bit like a cause. And maybe my participation in this thread is slightly like a cause.

Even though the Mediator description doesn't completely fit me, very much of it does and it was eye opening to say the least. I've always felt misunderstood and a bit like an oddball, though I try to conceal that I feel that way. Seeing a description of me in print was both eerie and comforting. I was amazed that someone finally understood me, even though I've tried to hide myself away for so long. I was definitely intrigued that there may be others like me out there. So hello fellow INFP!!

It's funny - I've taken that test 4 times now, tweaking some answers, trying to think through an answer instead of going with my knee-jerk reaction - and every single time, I get INFP-T. I just don't see it! I'm a planner, not a fly-by-the-seat-of-my pants kind of person, and while I do care about what people think and don't want to hurt people's feelings, I also hate to lie. When it comes to planning, this is why I can never write a story - I have to have an outline in place, and my problem is I have so much trouble projecting myself into a character that I can't come up with actual scenarios. I can come up with great back stories written like a history book, but forget actually writing out the scene in action or dialogue. An actress I most certainly am not! And I usually get lost in the details, anyway - I have more fun figuring out the most mundane things than every actually plodding through a story - must to my friends' utter frustration. One friend hates to take the time to plot - she just wants to let the story go where the emotion takes her; I HATE that kind of story telling!

I think creating worlds and maps and covering details like climate and culture and history and even figuring out a logically plausible population size and getting the science to work right (okay, sot he world has 2 moons instead of one; where would the logical place be for that moon and what would be the logical size?) Or creating con-languages. If there's magic in the world, that's fine - but what are the rules that bound it?

See? I still highly doubt I'm INFP. *laughs* Of course, now you know that I"m just plain weird......