Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

It's probably easier for you to set your protein according to ideal body weight at this point (eg mid BMI range), at 0.6-0.8g per lb. That's how I do mine, since I don't actually know my lbm, other than a guess. Though I actually aim for 1g per lb of total weight. What are your protein sources now? We can make suggestions as to how you may be able to increase it a bit more, though obviously you'll need to cut some cals from either carbs or fat to do that, unless you can increase TDEE.

In a pipe-dream world, I should weigh in the neighborhood of 160 lbs. For someone who started at 380 lbs, that seems impossible, especially dealing with thyroid and PCOS and depression problems.

But if I use that for my protein I should be eating, then I guess I should be getting 128 - 160g a day.

Right now, I eat eggs and a little canadian bacon for breakfast, switched out with oatmeal 2 or so times a week, and sometimes 1 Tbsp almond butter on thin bread. I'll get a package of lunchmeat and use it as a snack, usually going for half a serving just to head off hunger cravings. I'll have the little protein packages for lunch or leftovers from dinner before or a premade salad, and these usually clock in around 14-17g of protein each and in the neighborhood of 300 calories, and I'll snack on 1 serving of jerky during the weekdays for another 10g. I usually have meat for dinner - I shoot for fish once a week, and then have chicken 2 or 3 times, and beef and pork once in a while. I work to keep it to one serving of meat, though, and try to fill in with veggies like carrots, broccoli, greens, etc. I don't usually have a lot of pasta, rice, potatoes, or couscous during the week. I try to incorporate more beans, but its not very often because of the calorie content.

I love dairy but have to limit my intake or the pipes get clogged, so to speak. If I have a few extra calories of an evening, I'll have a yogurt, and I've found I like skyr the best - around here, there's a brand called Siggi's I can usually find, with 15g protein per container and less than 10g added sugar. I've switched to unsweetened almond milk for my coffee to save on calories. I usually have some cheese as a snack - 1 oz or a single string cheese stick or a babyel round, though they don't have much protein. Lately I've been dragging, so a second 16 oz coffee is often gotten at a self-serve bar, and then I'll use about 1/2 cup skim milk (can't stand black coffee lol)

If I eat out for lunch or breakfast, its usually subway or subway-like places, and I go for flatbread and turkey or ham or chicken, sans cheese and dressing, loaded up on vegetables.

Protein shakes and bars are so high in calories that I don't usually reach for them because I'll have one and be hungry in 30 minutes whereas if I have a lower calorie snack and get hungry again, I have room to spare. At my old house, I could find Think Thin 150 bars that had 10g of protein each and would use them once in a while as a snack, but the regular think thins that have 20g are 220 calories and up so I usually avoid them. And the sugar free ones that I find around here almost all use aspertame for sweetener, and I can't use aspertame - it upsets my stomach.

I'm trying to get a varied diet, trying to work in at least 1 fruit a day and at least 2 servings of vegetables; I guess I'm getting more carbs in than I think I am.

You can buy protein powder and stir that into your oatmeal to up the protein.

I forget, what are your calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I apparently need to spend some time catching up with this thread; I am like 4 pages behind. But I did have time to do the personality test, and inline with last time, I am an ESTJ-A.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    I'm starting my second week of diet break and I'm really surprised that maintenance eating takes at least as much planning as deficit eating. I'm used to eating at deficit by now, and it's much easier to plan. MFP's default split for carbs requires a lot more thought. I'm not sure I trust such a high level of carbs, partly because of the diabetes and partly because I find myself trying to bump up the carbs with sweet/baked baked things. That's a habit I've been trying to break, and this isn't helping.

On the other hand, I thought resetting my leptin levels was more dependent on my carb intake, so that more carbs (within reason) are necessary. Maybe just not as many as the MFP default.

I'm up just 2 lbs from last Monday and well within normal fluctuations and the expected gain (glycogen replenishment, right?). I KNOW it's normal, I KNOW it's expected, and I KNOW it's water weight -- but there's still a little twitch in the back of my brain that wants me to go back to deficit RIGHT NOW. These two weeks are experimental; I'll keep eating 2460 calories for the next week, but I'm working hard on not tinkering with the macros. My inner perfectionist wants to keep the experimental protocols the same for the full two weeks (my inner perfectionist is a scientist) and have that time as a learning experience. That'll also leave me room for Thanksgiving's carbs, which was the point of picking this time frame in the first place.

I just don't trust the carbs -- or I don't trust myself with that many carbs, one or the other.

Maintenance is sometimes more difficult than planning a deficit or surplus, especially if being in a specific diet pattern for a long time.

Just from dealing with diabetes myself and working with others, carb tolerance is going to be variable. My suggestion specifically for diabetics is to eat according to your glucose monitor. If you're medicated and are still running high, the ingestion of digestible carbs is what's going to determine a large portion of that. Obviously, by focusing on nutrient density and fibrous carbs, you reduce the postprandial excursion so that your glucose doesn't spike so high and drop so low between meals.

Resistance training and regular exercise increases insulin sensitivity so on those days where carbs are higher, your body will be better equipped to partition glucose into muscle glycogen instead of partitioning them into fat cells.

Even during maintenance feeding, my carbs are about 75-150g on average, and I adjust total calories with fat macros. Fasting glucose ranges from 70-88mg/dL every morning.

Not to say you need to low carb, just make sure you're using your own levels as a guide for food choices. It's a bit of a way to entertain your inner N=1 researcher while still being able to maintain manageable health markers.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I really should redo the test, but I think from memory I have an A at the end. Makes sense (and handy), given that my job involves analysing the crap out of stuff. Though currently I'm organising a mountain of data so that I can analyse the crap out of it. This is the not fun part. Excel and I have a love/hate relationship. Though I see the patterns emerging as I organise, and that starts my brain ticking over. Then I will make up a pretty story about marine (and a bit of freshwater) subsistence on the Kapiti Coast of NZ circa 500 years ago.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Cannot find the original reference to Myers Briggs, but it has been a longterm interest of mine.
    I am an INFJ - A
  • anubis609
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Cannot find the original reference to Myers Briggs, but it has been a longterm interest of mine.
    I am an INFJ - A

I used this site, though there of course others :)
    https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    @Leeg5656 If you are dropping 1-1.5 pounds a week at 1200 calories/day you can probably eat a little more and still lose a decent amount of weight. Maybe try eating 1400 calories/day and add in some low calorie foods to bulk up your meals to help keep your belly full. Some examples are strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini, squash.
  • anubis609
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I apparently need to spend some time catching up with this thread; I am like 4 pages behind. But I did have time to do the personality test, and inline with last time, I am an ESTJ-A.

I can see that.. I mean, when you mod MFP.. lol
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

You can buy protein powder and stir that into your oatmeal to up the protein.

I forget, what are your calories?

At maintenance, I'm eating 2200; in deficit I'm eating 1400.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I really should redo the test, but I think from memory I have an A at the end. Makes sense (and handy), given that my job involves analysing the crap out of stuff. Though currently I'm organising a mountain of data so that I can analyse the crap out of it. This is the not fun part. Excel and I have a love/hate relationship. Though I see the patterns emerging as I organise, and that starts my brain ticking over. Then I will make up a pretty story about marine (and a bit of freshwater) subsistence on the Kapiti Coast of NZ circa 500 years ago.

according to Anubis's link, the A at the end stands for this:

Assertive (-A) individuals are self-assured, even-tempered and resistant to stress. They refuse to worry too much and do not push themselves too hard when it comes to achieving goals.

The T stands for:

Turbulent (-T) individuals are self-conscious and sensitive to stress. They are likely to experience a wide range of emotions and to be success-driven, perfectionistic and eager to improve.

Me? I'm totally a T!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Assertive (-A) individuals are self-assured, even-tempered and resistant to stress. They refuse to worry too much and do not push themselves too hard when it comes to achieving goals.

The T stands for:

Turbulent (-T) individuals are self-conscious and sensitive to stress. They are likely to experience a wide range of emotions and to be success-driven, perfectionistic and eager to improve.

Me? I'm totally a T!

I am totally an A <-- lol. I am so unemotional. Even with MFP. If there is emotion in a thread, I am not posting in it. I can help people with solutions, but the whole cheerleading thing isn't me. And I even mention that occasionally when people friend request me.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

What you see on the forums is nothing compared to what happens on the mod side.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

The T stands for:

Me? I'm totally a T!

Oh, wait, I'm a T. Absolutely, definitely, definitively a T. I was thinking the A was for analytical. Though, I have learned not to push myself too hard. My entire life is structured in a way to minimise anxiety.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I just read the ESTJ-A profile and yes, it makes perfect sense that you are a moderator!
    I would be a hopeless mess as a moderator.

I'm an INFJ-T (the advocate). It was pretty spot-on describing me. The careers even listed two career paths I have taken. "They are decisive and strong-willed" it says; my husband would probably just shorten that to "stubborn" lol.

Anyway, first day back on deficit after the diet break and I'm having to make the mental adjustment to less calories. I think (hope!) I'll get back into it without much trouble. I plan to swim tonight so some extra calories from that.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

The T stands for:

Me? I'm totally a T!

I am totally an A <-- lol. I am so unemotional. Even with MFP. If there is emotion in a thread, I am not posting in it. I can help people with solutions, but the whole cheerleading thing isn't me. And I even mention that occasionally when people friend request me.

Oh yeah, I'm not really up for the cheerleading either. And if people (the rare ones who bother to include a message with their request) say anything about wanting to add me for motivation, not my job honey. That's down to you. The ones who don't include a message just get ignored, because they obviously haven't read my profile.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2017
    Options

I just read the ESTJ-A profile and yes, it makes perfect sense that you are a moderator!
    I would be a hopeless mess as a moderator.

I'm an INFJ-T (the advocate). It was pretty spot-on describing me. The careers even listed two career paths I have taken. "They are decisive and strong-willed" it says; my husband would probably just shorten that to "stubborn" lol.

Anyway, first day back on deficit after the diet break and I'm having to make the mental adjustment to less calories. I think (hope!) I'll get back into it without much trouble. I plan to swim tonight so some extra calories from that.

Interestingly enough, we have had several people stop being a mod for those reasons. Some just struggle dealing with the crazies on the forums and some of the abuse we take. I have even been threatened several times, lol.

<-- steps off mod soap box
  • anubis609
    Options

I bet. I gather it's somewhat similar to what happens on the admin/mod side of facebook groups. What's said in public is not a reflection behind mod doors lol. That said, I'm absolutely an A [hole]
  • anubis609
    Options
    Threats are like badges of honor to me haha
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Interestingly enough, we have had several people stop being a mod for those reasons. Some just struggle dealing with the crazies on the forums and some of the abuse we take. I have even been threatened several times, lol.

:/ ...but it doesn't surprise me.

See, I would be hitting all the panic buttons and demanding to go into some witness protection style program lol.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I bet. I gather it's somewhat similar to what happens on the admin/mod side of facebook groups. What's said in public is not a reflection behind mod doors lol. That said, I'm absolutely an A [hole]

As a FB group admin, can confirm. Our group chat is brutal, heh.