Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mshanepace wrote: »
    I love it. The responses in here kill me. My typos and, potential, grammatical mistakes I'll leave in, since I'm not going to re-read this after I've written it (and yet.. I had to re-read myself.. I modified for meaning only however, corrected names and improved for meaning only... I left in the rest)... Though it wasn't a common believe the "science" of the past would bleed people. Also, a common thought in the "science" of the past, the world was flat and the Earth is the middle of existence. Hypothesis, theorems...etc... Show ME the evidence AGAINST leaky gut. The actual goal of a scientific study is to prove oneself incorrect and NOT to prove oneself to be correct. To suggest that there are NO black swans is to always be on the search for a black Swan NOT to ignore one when you find one. Let's take the information from Ancel Keyes, and group, and break down what's occurred since his hypothesis was followed. The United States of America has gone down a road of spiraling out of control health crises. Diabetes, which was barely recognized in the seventies and eighties, is out of containment, a complete household word because SO many people have it now. You've gotten vegans and vegetarians arguing "facts" about agendas while THEY'VE got agendas. Absolute fact, as the show What The Health quotes on all the funding behind the different organisations, their "experts" and "researchers" are being paid by vegan organisations. Their research IS funded by those WANTING the results they're finding. Are you kidding me!?! Lies in plain sight by omittions are still lies. Misleading everyone because you BELIEVE something is wrong doesn't make it right. The perpetual argument that there are NO black Swans, while looking at a Black Swan, is not only self deceiving but is a complete destroyer of what you all are referring to as science. I don't have to bring evidence against sugar to suggest sugar is the problem, or the level of said sugar is the problem, you've got to prove it isn't the problem. THAT'S science!!! Let's take some true science into THIS discussion. You DON'T NEED carbs to live!!! It's proven... You can't live without Fats! PERIOD!! You can't live without proteins!! PERIOD!!! But you can live on ZERO carbs!!! I'm not suggesting it's the best way to live, BUT, you can!! So, here is my suggest to anyone wanting to prove that I'm incorrect, take the scientific test and ONLY live on Carbs!! You'll DIE but give it an honest go. People HAVE and DO live on NO carb diets. Welcome to a REAL scientific test. Stop purporting to know sciences when you aren't even trying to disprove what is in front of you. I don't care of you've got a Master's or a PhD, anytime you are proving yourself right YOU'RE NOT using a scientific method! I assume I'm going to now be slammed by those of you whom BELIEVE you know better, bring it! At the end of the day, you're wrong! I truly don't care what your thoughts on this topic are or what you think of me, you're wrong. Stay blind! But, if you want to prove my statement wrong... No supplements, no fats, no proteins... Carb only diet.. Prove it! Crud, just no fats and no supplements... Proteins and carbs!!! Go!!! Prove yourselves correct, and die in the process. Because you will... I'll drop this and you can now vulture attack me.

Common and false misconception.
  • stanmann571
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I love it. The responses in here kill me. My typos and, potential, grammatical mistakes I'll leave in, since I'm not going to re-read this after I've written it (and yet.. I had to re-read myself.. I modified for meaning only however, corrected names and improved for meaning only... I left in the rest)... Though it wasn't a common believe the "science" of the past would bleed people. Also, a common thought in the "science" of the past, the world was flat and the Earth is the middle of existence. Hypothesis, theorems...etc... Show ME the evidence AGAINST leaky gut. The actual goal of a scientific study is to prove oneself incorrect and NOT to prove oneself to be correct. To suggest that there are NO black swans is to always be on the search for a black Swan NOT to ignore one when you find one. Let's take the information from Ancel Keyes, and group, and break down what's occurred since his hypothesis was followed. The United States of America has gone down a road of spiraling out of control health crises. Diabetes, which was barely recognized in the seventies and eighties, is out of containment, a complete household word because SO many people have it now. You've gotten vegans and vegetarians arguing "facts" about agendas while THEY'VE got agendas. Absolute fact, as the show What The Health quotes on all the funding behind the different organisations, their "experts" and "researchers" are being paid by vegan organisations. Their research IS funded by those WANTING the results they're finding. Are you kidding me!?! Lies in plain sight by omittions are still lies. Misleading everyone because you BELIEVE something is wrong doesn't make it right. The perpetual argument that there are NO black Swans, while looking at a Black Swan, is not only self deceiving but is a complete destroyer of what you all are referring to as science. I don't have to bring evidence against sugar to suggest sugar is the problem, or the level of said sugar is the problem, you've got to prove it isn't the problem. THAT'S science!!! Let's take some true science into THIS discussion. You DON'T NEED carbs to live!!! It's proven... You can't live without Fats! PERIOD!! You can't live without proteins!! PERIOD!!! But you can live on ZERO carbs!!! I'm not suggesting it's the best way to live, BUT, you can!! So, here is my suggest to anyone wanting to prove that I'm incorrect, take the scientific test and ONLY live on Carbs!! You'll DIE but give it an honest go. People HAVE and DO live on NO carb diets. Welcome to a REAL scientific test. Stop purporting to know sciences when you aren't even trying to disprove what is in front of you. I don't care of you've got a Master's or a PhD, anytime you are proving yourself right YOU'RE NOT using a scientific method! I assume I'm going to now be slammed by those of you whom BELIEVE you know better, bring it! At the end of the day, you're wrong! I truly don't care what your thoughts on this topic are or what you think of me, you're wrong. Stay blind! But, if you want to prove my statement wrong... No supplements, no fats, no proteins... Carb only diet.. Prove it! Crud, just no fats and no supplements... Proteins and carbs!!! Go!!! Prove yourselves correct, and die in the process. Because you will... I'll drop this and you can now vulture attack me.

Scientists knew the world wasn't flat as far back as the classical era and throughout the Middle Ages.

Actually it was the Greeks, before Alexander and long before Rome.

It's also likely that the Egyptians also knew these things, unfortunately we still can't decrypt all of what they left of knowledge
  • stanmann571
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Also, a common thought in the "science" of the past, the world was flat and the Earth is the middle of existence.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Actually, "scientists" of the time KNEW that the world was not flat, from the Greeks, at least. That people thought it was flat seems to be a popular misconception, not sure why. It is of course true that believing the Earth was the center was common -- at least until scientific evidence/efforts led people to conclude it was not (Copernicus, for example). The opposition to this was largely NOT scientific, but based in a reliance on the Aristotlean system and theology and, indeed, largely took the form of philosophical argument.

Perversely, under relativistic understanding of the universe, the Earth is just as good a center point as any other.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Scientists knew the world wasn't flat as far back as the classical era and throughout the Middle Ages.

It's also likely that the Egyptians also knew these things, unfortunately we still can't decrypt all of what they left of knowledge

The classical era refers to the Greeks before Alexander.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

The classical era refers to the Greeks before Alexander.

Mmm from what I know of Babylonians and their study of astronomy, it is very much possible that they were aware of that fact too. We just can't decipher a lot of the writings they've left us :wink: Who knows, maybe the guys who built Stonehenge and aligned the Menhirs in the Bretagne also understood that the Earth is not flat. They just haven't left us anything to go by.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm a licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist, and until multiple, controlled studies have been performed these are not facts. Do some Internet research and find the studies if they exist.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Not to mention sailors. Despite popular culture pointing to the otherwise and "falling off the edge of the Earth", sailors have know the Earth was round based upon the limited line of sight.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Not to mention sailors. Despite popular culture pointing to the otherwise and "falling off the edge of the Earth", sailors have know the Earth was round based upon the limited line of sight.

I'm really glad to see people pointing this out. The fallacious idea that people believed the earth was flat until relatively modern times I had thought was pretty well grounded, especially as it was taught in elementary schools for years - you know, Christopher Columbus set sail to prove the earth was round.......Are they still teaching that in schools these days? Anyway, I've heard it repeated over and over my whole life in various media, I had pretty much given up on the idea of getting folks to see otherwise.

I've read that the idea that everyone in the past thought the earth was flat and that Christopher Columbus set sail to prove otherwise originated in the early 1800's with Washington Irving, meaning, if true, that the "flat earth theory" is actually a result of "modern" pop culture...... (the same reference stated that Christopher Columbus was actually sailing to prove that the Greek calculation of the circumference of the earth was wrong and that the earth was smaller than thought possible.)

What gets me is that the flat earth theory is actually on the rise today, based on a convincing youtube video that is circulating around - or at least, convincing to folks who don't have a grasp of basic physics.... I've actually seen several articles posted to debunk the idea, and it saddens me how many people will deride the author of said articles in the comments section!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • stanmann571
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I'm really glad to see people pointing this out. The fallacious idea that people believed the earth was flat until relatively modern times I had thought was pretty well grounded, especially as it was taught in elementary schools for years - you know, Christopher Columbus set sail to prove the earth was round.......Are they still teaching that in schools these days? Anyway, I've heard it repeated over and over my whole life in various media, I had pretty much given up on the idea of getting folks to see otherwise.

I've read that the idea that everyone in the past thought the earth was flat and that Christopher Columbus set sail to prove otherwise originated in the early 1800's with Washington Irving, meaning, if true, that the "flat earth theory" is actually a result of "modern" pop culture...... (the same reference stated that Christopher Columbus was actually sailing to prove that the Greek calculation of the circumference of the earth was wrong and that the earth was smaller than thought possible.)

What gets me is that the flat earth theory is actually on the rise today, based on a convincing youtube video that is circulating around - or at least, convincing to folks who don't have a grasp of basic physics.... I've actually seen several articles posted to debunk the idea, and it saddens me how many people will deride the author of said articles in the comments section!

My opinion is it's modernist/post renaissance elitism.
  • ebbyfree
    ebbyfree Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don’t know that there is or isn’t research on these issues. But if they were my instructor’s —I’d ask them to tell me the what research they are basing their findings on. If it’s not in a peer-reviewed journal, or they don’t provide any, I’d leave.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are people disbelieving in melanistic swans, or the actual species of black swan?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    I'm confused. Are people disbelieving in melanistic swans, or the actual species of black swan?

Black swan refers to a logical error in which hindsight gives us evidence that we should have predicted or been able to predict an event or discovery, when in reality the event/discovery was not something that necessarily could/should have been predicted.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (I thought it was a joke.)
This discussion has been closed.