Q and A thread - Angus is peppered.

Options
So let me first disclose that I know it can come across as arrogant when someone drops by and is like "Hey I'm so and so and I'm here to answer your questions".

Usually ending in the original poster getting trolled off the site. (lol)

And so I get it, and I'd understand if that's the reaction to this.

Having said that, I'm a long time member of myfitnesspal and I now coach people online as my career. These forums were instrumental for my start in a career of fitness and it's now going quite well for me.

So anyway, I wanted to drop by and make a thread just for fun and to hopefully help a few people if they'd like.

Having said that, please feel free to post any questions in this thread and I'll pop in to answer what I can.

I hope everyone in Myfitnesspal is kicking butt and enjoying life.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No questions, just wanted to say HI!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No questions, just wanted to say HI!

Hey there Sabine! How have you been lately?
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Is too low of a cholesterol intake harmful? I'm constantly under, but by a lot. MFP gives me an allotment of 300, and if I have 40-80 a day it's a lot. Also am under by fat. Usually by 15-20. How can I remedy this?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Is too low of a cholesterol intake harmful? I'm constantly under, but by a lot. MFP gives me an allotment of 300, and if I have 40-80 a day it's a lot. Also am under by fat. Usually by 15-20. How can I remedy this?

As far as the cholesterol question, I would suggest discussing this with your doctor to be on the safe side. The link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol isn't exactly clear cut and my limited understanding on this topic is that there may be an individual component here as well.

As far as dietary fat goes: There are essential fatty acids that we require and they are called "essential" because we cannot manufacture them on our own and so we have to obtain these through dietary or supplemental means.

And so very low fat diets COULD become problematic, but you'd have to go pretty darn low in order to run into significant problems.

Having said that, if you are concerned about your dietary fat being too low I would seek out foods that have higher fat content, pre-log a few of those foods into Myfitnesspal to see where it puts you for BOTH calorie and fat totals and see if this helps. Some examples: Nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, avocados.

Keep in mind that because fat has 9kcals/g compared to protein and carbohydrate having roughly 4kcals/g, additional dietary fat can quickly add calories to your diet. This doesn't make fat bad at all, it's just something you should be aware of.
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

As far as the cholesterol question, I would suggest discussing this with your doctor to be on the safe side. The link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol isn't exactly clear cut and my limited understanding on this topic is that there may be an individual component here as well.

As far as dietary fat goes: There are essential fatty acids that we require and they are called "essential" because we cannot manufacture them on our own and so we have to obtain these through dietary or supplemental means.

And so very low fat diets COULD become problematic, but you'd have to go pretty darn low in order to run into significant problems.

Having said that, if you are concerned about your dietary fat being too low I would seek out foods that have higher fat content, pre-log a few of those foods into Myfitnesspal to see where it puts you for BOTH calorie and fat totals and see if this helps. Some examples: Nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, avocados.

Keep in mind that because fat has 9kcals/g compared to protein and carbohydrate having roughly 4kcals/g, additional dietary fat can quickly add calories to your diet. This doesn't make fat bad at all, it's just something you should be aware of.

Thx!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ???

...oh ANGUS. Nevermind. I'll see myself out.

lol
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Can I fix my sagging post weight loss "tummy" without breaking a sweat lifting weights or going for some fun with knives? Cause... well, I *hypothetically* "want" to...

Though right now I'm contemplating heading somewhere for a steak sandwich for some reason!
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I can feel my neck flex a bit basically any time I lift. It gives me anxiety. Is this a problem? If so, how do I fix it? Also, the bicep on my right (dominant) arm is bigger and always has been but its irritating now when I get pumped up and my left arm looks pathetic. My left shoulder is also bigger from carrying dense toddlers...same issue... makes my right shoulder look pewney.

Just some random *kitten* that has been bothering me lately!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I can feel my neck flex a bit basically any time I lift. It gives me anxiety. Is this a problem? If so, how do I fix it? Also, the bicep on my right (dominant) arm is bigger and always has been but its irritating now when I get pumped up and my left arm looks pathetic. My left shoulder is also bigger from carrying dense toddlers...same issue... makes my right shoulder look pewney.

Just some random *kitten* that has been bothering me lately!!

The anxiety it gives you could be a problem depending on how it makes you feel and what you do about it.
    The sensation of your neck flexing doesn't sound problematic to me, at least I can't think of any reason why this would be problematic provided it doesn't cause you any pain. Then again, I perform certain lifts with cervical spine extension and I don't think this is problematic.

As far as the imbalances, I'll assume you're also curious how to address it and so I'll tackle that one too:

I would consider using dumbbells instead of barbells for exercises which train those muscles and let the weak side dictate load and volume.

For example suppose you choose DB curls for your biceps and suppose your left (non dominant) side can do sets of 11 reps with a 20lb dumbbell and your right (dominant) side can do sets of 13 with a 20lb dumbbell. You would opt to do something like sets of 9 to 10 reps per set. This is "near failure" on the non dominant side.

Another potential method would be to do 1 additional set on the non dominant side only.

The general idea here is that both methods would allow your non dominant side to eventually catch up.

Consider though, everyone has imbalances and this isn't necessarily problematic, but if you'd like to address it this is one method to attempt to.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Can I fix my sagging post weight loss "tummy" without breaking a sweat lifting weights or going for some fun with knives? Cause... well, I *hypothetically* "want" to...

Though right now I'm contemplating heading somewhere for a steak sandwich for some reason!

If you are referring to loose skin then I'm unaware of any reliable treatment options outside of surgical ones. The idea of muscle hypertrophy to "fill out" space is one that's sound in theory but in practice I have my doubts that it would work very well for the abdominal area specifically.

What kind of steak sandwich? This is important info. =)

The classic remaining fat in loose skin scenario (~280lbs -> ~155lbs @ dexa 23.4% overall w/ 19.1 to 25.5% fat regions, age 52)

And 6oz pepper crusted Angus steak and eggs would be the target... if I was in Calgary right now :smiley:
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am trying to quickly drop 2 pounds before vacation because I am going to eat all of the foods and would like it if my pants fit after vacation. My fat intake is a little on the low side atm (0.3 grams per pound of body weight). I am not worried about this in the short term but was curious how long a person could go eating lower than ideal fat before they started to run into some problems.

Also - cake or pie?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am trying to quickly drop 2 pounds before vacation because I am going to eat all of the foods and would like it if my pants fit after vacation. My fat intake is a little on the low side atm (0.3 grams per pound of body weight). I am not worried about this in the short term but was curious how long a person could go eating lower than ideal fat before they started to run into some problems.

Also - cake or pie?

Most important question answered first: Pie, but it does depend. A really good cake will certainly beat out bad pie.

As far as the fat question, it's likely to depend on how deficient you are in essential fatty acids and what you define as "some problems".

On the very extreme end you would develop essential fatty acid deficiency. You can probably find more thorough and updated info than this but it's a start to point towards symptoms: https://www.fabresearch.org/uploads/itemUploads/6698/FACTSHEET 002-PFADS 2003-11.pdf

The reality though, is that I would be willing to bet that you'd probably feel hungry AF pushing dietary fat so low that you become EFA deficient. If you're not opposed to it, you could consider an EFA supplement if you're concerned with fat intake in your diet.

FWIW, I don't consider .3g/lb to be too low. It's on the "kinda low" end of what I'd consider quite reasonable for most people.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Are you still embarrassing your wife with your sausage at the supper table?

I don't really have a question, just wanted to say hi. It was ^^^ or the obligatory "what are your qualifications to be helping us," but I'm fairly confident in your knowledge.

LMAOOOOOO
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Are BCAAs beneficial? I train fasted before the end of my 16 hour fast. Do they do anything?