Day 2 and I’m starving!

Options
Just cut my calories down to 1430 a day to create a 1lb a week deficit. It’s my second day and I am HUNGRY! I know this is my body needing to adjust my metabolism to probably over 1000 less calories than I had been eating. I can survive and do this. But please let me whine about it here. I don’t want to drive my friends and family crazy haha

I’m focused on adding lots of fruits and veggies to meals and eating appropriate sized portions of the rich foods I love. Also, I have been drinking so much more water! When I feel hungry, but it’s not time for a meal yet, I drink a cup or water or some tea. Any tips you’ve found to help? Is the first week the hardest? Tell me it gets better haha

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    How much do you weigh right now? 1 pound a week may be too aggressive.
  • vhepp5
    vhepp5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's my 2nd day also and I feel your pain!!! Whine on!!!!!!! Lol
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're into coffee, but it's a great temporary appetite suppressant, more so than tea in my experience. I use it as a dietary aid all the time and don't feel hungry at all for a couple hours after even if I was starving before.
  • FlowerPower8579
    FlowerPower8579 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    betinabean wrote: »
    Just cut my calories down to 1430 a day to create a 1lb a week deficit. It’s my second day and I am HUNGRY! I know this is my body needing to adjust my metabolism to probably over 1000 less calories than I had been eating. I can survive and do this. But please let me whine about it here. I don’t want to drive my friends and family crazy haha

I’m focused on adding lots of fruits and veggies to meals and eating appropriate sized portions of the rich foods I love. Also, I have been drinking so much more water! When I feel hungry, but it’s not time for a meal yet, I drink a cup or water or some tea. Any tips you’ve found to help? Is the first week the hardest? Tell me it gets better haha

Make sure you’re eating enough to sustain the deficit but not too much to gain or maintain, work out if your goal is realistic. Try to eat little and often to stave off the cravings! It’s so much easier when you get into a routine. You can do this! Feel free to add me for some support! You have the POWER!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I fall off the wagon and restart, when I restart I am HUNGRY for the first week or so. Your body is used to those extra calories and WANTS THEM!

Def make sure you are eating enough protein, that will help you feel full.

If you still feel like this after a week, you may want to decrease to .5lb per week.
  • fittunachick
    fittunachick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add in 2 more ounces of protein to every meal. It takes longer to digest so you'll feel full longer. Easy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    2 more ounces of protein in every meal on 1400 calories? I just don't see that ending well.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    2 more ounces of protein in every meal on 1400 calories? I just don't see that ending well.

Nor does it work for everybody. I could eat protein all day long and never feel full.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Did no one pick up on the 1000 calorie deficit comment.

She has a 500 calorie deficit. Which depending on what Amount of weight she has to lose is acceptable

Edit. Nevermind I see someone did. Lol
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    OP: If none the suggestions above work or appeal to you, the only "solution" is to exercise more to burn cals to eat more and keep the net cals the same.

That's what I and others do. It works for me and should work for you as long as you log your CICO accurately.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Add in 2 more ounces of protein to every meal. It takes longer to digest so you'll feel full longer. Easy.

This would only work if she decreases her carbs and fats to fit this in.

That said, OP maybe look into adding volume food into your diet and try working with different macros variations to find what provides satiety and lastly meal timing if needed.

Also if you exercise.. you get to eat these back (or a portion).. :smile:

But yes there is an initial phase your are going to go through as your body adjusts.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's hunger? Maybe you're thirsty--a perfectly good excuse to drink more water!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Second on the coffee suggestion - works much better for me than tea. But really, it's just playing with meal composition and timing. You say you've been drinking "so much more water" but I don't really know what that means in relation to you. If I'm hungry and I don't think that I should be I usually start with a large glass of water and waiting 10-15 minutes to see if that helps before eating.