Day 2 and I’m starving!

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    If you just went from eating tons of sugar to not eating any added sugar, you are probably just experiencing sugar withdrawal. It doesn’t last. Usually 3 days if you drink lots of water and eat fibrous veggies, low glycemic fruits and lean protein. Push through the first 3 days and it’ll be a lot easier for you to focus on the right foods to eat. Google metabolism building foods and fat burning foods to figure out the best foods to keep in the house and those will be sustainable. On top of 30 mins to an hour of activity, you’ll succeed!

Most Google-search lists of "metabolism building foods" and "fat burning foods" are going to be nonsense. Those things don't really exist.

The best foods are the foods that you can eat in the overall context of a diet that meets your calorie goals, meets your nutritional needs, ensures you feel full and satisfied, and you enjoy. That can include high-fiber vegetables, low glycemic fruits, and lean protein, but it also includes other vegetables, higher glycemic fruits, fattier foods, and all sorts of other things.

I feel like I've read that some foods (hot peppers?) maybe boost your metabolism a teeny, tiny bit, for a very short period of time, if you eat a massive amount of them. Which, of course, equals "Miracle Food Busts Waistlines!"
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For that mid morning and afternoon hunger I eat an apple or a handful of almonds. I find that grazing a bit along with water helps. I also don't get to cought up with a large deficit. Any size deficit will cause weight loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you just went from eating tons of sugar to not eating any added sugar, you are probably just experiencing sugar withdrawal. It doesn’t last. Usually 3 days if you drink lots of water and eat fibrous veggies, low glycemic fruits and lean protein. Push through the first 3 days and it’ll be a lot easier for you to focus on the right foods to eat. Google metabolism building foods and fat burning foods to figure out the best foods to keep in the house and those will be sustainable. On top of 30 mins to an hour of activity, you’ll succeed!

Most Google-search lists of "metabolism building foods" and "fat burning foods" are going to be nonsense. Those things don't really exist.

The best foods are the foods that you can eat in the overall context of a diet that meets your calorie goals, meets your nutritional needs, ensures you feel full and satisfied, and you enjoy. That can include high-fiber vegetables, low glycemic fruits, and lean protein, but it also includes other vegetables, higher glycemic fruits, fattier foods, and all sorts of other things.

I feel like I've read that some foods (hot peppers?) maybe boost your metabolism a teeny, tiny bit, for a very short period of time, if you eat a massive amount of them. Which, of course, equals "Miracle Food Busts Waistlines!"

Yeah, I think there are some foods that do have that impact demonstrated in clinical conditions, I agree. But not to the extent that eating them is going to create a difference that most people will notice in actual results.

I'm thinking of the lists you see on Pinterest of "metabolism burning foods" with things like apples or almonds or grapefruit . . . they're all perfectly fine foods, but eating them instead of pears or walnuts or an orange isn't going to make you thinner.
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    betinabean wrote: »
    Just cut my calories down to 1430 a day to create a 1lb a week deficit. It’s my second day and I am HUNGRY! I know this is my body needing to adjust my metabolism to probably over 1000 less calories than I had been eating. I can survive and do this. But please let me whine about it here. I don’t want to drive my friends and family crazy haha

I’m focused on adding lots of fruits and veggies to meals and eating appropriate sized portions of the rich foods I love. Also, I have been drinking so much more water! When I feel hungry, but it’s not time for a meal yet, I drink a cup or water or some tea. Any tips you’ve found to help? Is the first week the hardest? Tell me it gets better haha

Grab a piece of fruit or cut up veggies when you feel hungry.. Or drink water..
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    Day 3... I was starving yesterday, after a while you just get used to it.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I was a serial re-starter, and whenever I restarted the first 3-5 days would leave me hungry all the time because I was used to packing my stomach FULL with lots of food all the time (in service of emotional demand, not actual hunger)

What helps me get through those first few miserable days is welcoming that crampy hollow feeling because it is actually just this: my poor abused stretched out stomach contracting and resizing itself into the stomach of a person who eats reasonably
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Get more fiber - veggies are good for this as you can eat alot for few calories. Of course, cannot douse it in butter, oil or salad dressing, though a little is good. Try sea salt. It packs more taste sensation than regular salt and is better for you. And black pepper. Mix veggies with lean protein like chicken, or good fats like avocado, fish.

The feeling will pass.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options

I have pins and pins of pintrist lists of foods that are pretty much just great for you to eat. No, they do not say hot peppers. It’s a wonderful cheat sheet for New dieters who are pretty much confused when we tell them to eat low glycemic or high fiber or lean protein.. you may be surprised by this, but a lot of people get discouraged by things like that.. I simply offered a very easy way to help someone with their shopping list.. you’ll find things like kale, almonds, blueberries, etc..
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It does get better. For one thing, your stomach gets used to not being stuffed full of food.

It helps me to have some nearly zero calorie snacks. I like roasted seaweed or kale chips, sliced salted radishes, and pickles for salty / crunchy cravings, almond milk lattes with cinnamon for sweet / creamy cravings. Hot spiced tea. A small amount of dark chocolate.

Or try having just a little of something fatty and satiating, like nuts.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You could also try backing up and bit and cutting just a few calories every couple of days to help you adjust to the changes. Cutting back 1000 calories overnight is quite a lot. I'd be hungry too.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Also, mfp macro charts take care of how many carbs, proteins, fats.. etc we are supposed to get in the day
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Get used to being a little hungry sometimes. It'll get better. Just keep with it - give it 2-3 weeks at your current calorie level before reevaluating
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am similar, restarted this week & I definitely feel a little hungry... I think it’s your body adjusting, I quite like not feeling as full though & I know within a couple of days it will pass. I’m trying to drop 16lbs back on 2lb a week & know as long as I track & exercise this works. Once there, I need to not let it creep back on - lesson learned the hard way!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't come back to answer any of these replies...
    Hope they made it through day 2!
    As others have said, we need to know more, amount to lose, stats etc. 1000 calorie deficit could be far too aggressive.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I am similar, restarted this week & I definitely feel a little hungry... I think it’s your body adjusting, I quite like not feeling as full though & I know within a couple of days it will pass. I’m trying to drop 16lbs back on 2lb a week & know as long as I track & exercise this works. Once there, I need to not let it creep back on - lesson learned the hard way!

For less than 20lbs to lose, 1- 1.5lb per week is a healthy rate. The main reason being loss of muscle mass, which happens anyway but more so at aggressive calorie deficits. Also means less deprivation which means you'll be less likely to give up and find yourself re-gaining again.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks I’ll see how I go this week & then change. Main reason it’s crept on is avoiding the scales, not tracking & enjoying a few too many glasses of wine! I was almost relieved it was only 16!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks I’ll see how I go this week & then change. Main reason it’s crept on is avoiding the scales, not tracking & enjoying a few too many glasses of wine! I was almost relieved it was only 16!

Best to keep stepping on the scales to limit any 'damage ' :smiley: I find sipping on water/ diet tonic water / tea keeps me feeling full when having a hungry day but I've almost reached my calorie allowance. Usually by day 3 the body starts getting used to less. Stick with It, it does get easier.

all the best!