Day 2 and I’m starving!

Options

Replies

• slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks I’ll see how I go this week & then change. Main reason it’s crept on is avoiding the scales, not tracking & enjoying a few too many glasses of wine! I was almost relieved it was only 16!

Best to keep stepping on the scales to limit any 'damage ' :smiley: I find sipping on water/ diet tonic water / tea keeps me feeling full when having a hungry day but I've almost reached my calorie allowance. Usually by day 3 the body starts getting used to less. Stick with It, it does get easier.

all the best!

Thanks!!! I won’t let it slip once I get down again! Thanks for the support
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    betinabean wrote: »
    Just cut my calories down to 1430 a day to create a 1lb a week deficit. It’s my second day and I am HUNGRY! I know this is my body needing to adjust my metabolism to probably over 1000 less calories than I had been eating. I can survive and do this. But please let me whine about it here. I don’t want to drive my friends and family crazy haha

I’m focused on adding lots of fruits and veggies to meals and eating appropriate sized portions of the rich foods I love. Also, I have been drinking so much more water! When I feel hungry, but it’s not time for a meal yet, I drink a cup or water or some tea. Any tips you’ve found to help? Is the first week the hardest? Tell me it gets better haha

Make sure you’re eating enough to sustain the deficit but not too much to gain or maintain, work out if your goal is realistic. Try to eat little and often to stave off the cravings! It’s so much easier when you get into a routine. You can do this! Feel free to add me for some support! You have the POWER!

I find this to be individualized. For me eating smaller meals more often is a recipe for either hunger or overeating. For me, I'm not really hungry in the morning until I start eating. If a have a reasonable breakfast (e.g. eggs and toast, 300 calories), I'm hungry a few hours later and want a mid morning snack. If I just have coffee in the morning, I'm good until lunchtime, and then have more calories left to split between lunch and dinner. Eating fewer larger meals is more satisfying and satiaiting. Small, frequent meals makes it feel like all I'm doing all day long is thinking about food.

So try different things and see what works best for you. It DOES get better.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It might help if you go into the recipe section and check out the Volume Eaters thread. It’s amazing how much food you can cram into a few calories. For example, a good sized bowl of butternut squash is only 50 calories.

The thread will give you great recipe ideas. It helps you stick to your calorie goal and feel FULL.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling..but I do IF, and that have helped me to accept not to eat everytime I'm hungry...
    I can come from a 3 course meal ..and shortly after feel hungry.
    After 4 weeks on 5:2 I've learned that I do not die if I just ignore the hunger...and I when I'm hungry I crave real food (meat, wholegrain, vegetables) rather than sugray snacks
  • marymera
    marymera Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Day 3 .. I'm starving too
    I can't stop eating..
    I'm 152 CM and 90 kilo
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Thank for for bringing up IF. I do find that putting off my first meal until later helps with my appetite immensely. Whenbi eat first thing in the morning I am hungry all.day.long.
  • slimbyjune18
    Options
    So last night I was hungry, today I feel much less so, I am pretty sure it’s my body remembering what it should be using not being over-filled by me!!! Fingers crossed for everyone!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    That's great @slimbyjun12 :smile: keep up the good work.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @betinabean You haven't responded to any of the comments on your posts. Weight loss isn't intended to be a punishment. If you're feeling so hungry, maybe you're starving yourself. Go back and see if the information you entered in your Diet/Fitness profile page is correct, so you can determine if the suggested daily calories is appropriate for you.
  • MandyxSchmitz
    MandyxSchmitz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm big, I like to eat so I know the feeling having to cut down on your calories. The only thing that I've found that works (which is great too) is to drink a LOT of water. Now I can get so full on water that I'm really not hungry most of the day and that's a huge help to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Just cut my calories down to 1430 a day to create a 1lb a week deficit. It’s my second day and I am HUNGRY! I know this is my body needing to adjust my metabolism to probably over 1000 less calories than I had been eating. I can survive and do this. But please let me whine about it here. I don’t want to drive my friends and family crazy haha

I’m focused on adding lots of fruits and veggies to meals and eating appropriate sized portions of the rich foods I love. Also, I have been drinking so much more water! When I feel hungry, but it’s not time for a meal yet, I drink a cup or water or some tea. Any tips you’ve found to help? Is the first week the hardest? Tell me it gets better haha

I'd feel starving on 1430 calories a day too. I need to earn about 500 exercise calories a day to get enough food to not feel deprived.

On that note, I'm off for a lunchtime hike.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Protein will make you feel more full and longer. I used to eat broccoli like crazy as it has protein and almost nothing for calories if you eat them plain. It did help but now sick of broccoli, lol.. Another thing I found is the rule of 3. The hardest times will come on the 3's, 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months. They also it takes 3 weeks to form a habit. Stick with it you will get there.

I would also add, if your hungry eat but keep it small. If you don't you will find that when you do you will over eat. Also what good is a diet that keeps you hungry all the time? You wont stick with it if you cant maintain it. Find a diet that works for you and keeps you happy. I found 1300-1600 cals a day great for me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat and protein?

Totally agree with this one. This makes a huge difference for me. Complex carbs are better than the refined ones I find too.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Totally agree with this one. This makes a huge difference for me. Complex carbs are better than the refined ones I find too.

Common misconception: complex carbohydrates can also be refined. It's not an either/or category. Pasta and bread, for example, are refined foods that are also complex carbohydrates. An apple, which is unrefined, is mostly simple carbohydrates. These foods are really different in terms of the fiber and other nutrients that are included along with the carbohydrates, of course.

Edit: Corrected a typo.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Common misconception: complex carbohydrates can also be refined. It's not an either/or category. Pasta and bread, for example, are refined foods that are also complex carbohydrates. An apple, which is refined, is mostly simple carbohydrates. These foods are really different in terms of the fiber and other nutrients that are included along with the carbohydrates, of course.

Am I missing a new definition? I thought that "refined" only referred to grains... How is an apple a refined carb?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

Common misconception: complex carbohydrates can also be refined. It's not an either/or category. Pasta and bread, for example, are refined foods that are also complex carbohydrates. An apple, which is refined, is mostly simple carbohydrates. These foods are really different in terms of the fiber and other nutrients that are included along with the carbohydrates, of course.

Am I missing a new definition? I thought that "refined" only referred to grains... How is an apple a refined carb?

I suspect that it should have read unrefined.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

That was a mistake on my part, I meant to write unrefined. I'm going to edit it now, thanks for catching it!
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    There's hungry, and there's "sick" hungry. If you're physically sick, then you need to eat. If it's just your tummy/mind adjusting, then suck it up and enjoy the process. It will get better! Listen to your body, but don't give in when it "whines" a little. A new lifestyle requires a change...
  • slimbyjune18
    Options
    SheilaCali wrote: »
    There's hungry, and there's "sick" hungry. If you're physically sick, then you need to eat. If it's just your tummy/mind adjusting, then suck it up and enjoy the process. It will get better! Listen to your body, but don't give in when it "whines" a little. A new lifestyle requires a change...

Like this! I know for me this is true... few days while your body adapts... I can tell a difference already!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    btcowboy wrote: »

Protein will make you feel more full and longer. I used to eat broccoli like crazy as it has protein and almost nothing for calories if you eat them plain. It did help but now sick of broccoli, lol.. Another thing I found is the rule of 3. The hardest times will come on the 3's, 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months. They also it takes 3 weeks to form a habit. Stick with it you will get there.

I would also add, if your hungry eat but keep it small. If you don't you will find that when you do you will over eat. Also what good is a diet that keeps you hungry all the time? You wont stick with it if you cant maintain it. Find a diet that works for you and keeps you happy. I found 1300-1600 cals a day great for me.

I can eat fat free protein or fat free fiber all day long and be hungry. Protein, fiber and FAT are filling components.....but it's not one size fits all.

1200 is the default minimum for WOMEN and 1500 for men. People can choose to eat more (I do).......as I'm looking for fat loss, not lean muscle loss.