Has Weight Watchers gone insane?

Options

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It's a bizarre system but I guess if it works for some people... I definitely could overeat on grapes and used to all the time. They probably put it on there because if you do, then it's pretty much the same effect as overeating raisins or prunes... most people won't want to deal with that.

Definitely I could overeat on sliced deli turkey and chicken breast, and ham and roast beef. I used to do it all the time with the first three.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    xwendyjx wrote: »
    I agree, grapes are really good and I can really overdo them too....even on MFP!!! That is what I'm saying, each individual that follows the plan knows that you CANNOT eat a bucket of grapes and still lose weight. You still count points for other things, and trust me those points add up really quick if you choose a bunch of junk food. I ask you though, when you are in full binge eating mode, are you really going to want to eat grapes, eggs, dry grilled chicken breast and bananas? I know I wouldn't...I only eat those things when I truly am hungry. I didn't get fat eating fruit and dry chicken breast, I can guarantee you that.

A true binge eater would binge on those things.
    If someone told me chicken and fruit and veggies and tuna and turkey and everything else was free.. i would cook a whole damn turkey and sit down and eat that.

I can relate. I love turkey! I'm not a binge eater (I was told on another thread that a binge is not 500 calories or eating a whole bag of potato chips or a sleeve of crackers).

I've never done WW but it seems like they are assigning the points to junk and high calorie foods. I disagree that people cannot gain weight from eating whole foods--they can if they eat seconds at every dinner, even if they skip dessert and all the junkfood.
  • xwendyjx
    xwendyjx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't feel ganged up on, not in the slightest. I am about to go to eat my 6 point ice cream and go to sleep though, so won't post anything after this. :wink: They actually have a program for people that want to eat only on the "free" list and it's called simply filling....but considering that it's hard enough to explain to people WW I'm just going to leave it at that. :smile:
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've lost on earlier versions, too. It just seemed to me like with every iteration, the programs became less effective for me. I don't doubt that they've been successful in the past. I dropped about the same amount you did, except that I got bored, stopped going to meetings, and it crept back up. (I don't blame them for that). My question was raised because I think it's a little misleading for the PP to rave about the current program and point to "numerous success stories that have proven that their technique works" when those people were successful on earlier programs.

True. It is too early to determine success of something on its Day One. From what I understand WW does run trials on existing members before releasing programs, but I
    haven't heard anything official on those results. I hated Smart Points with a passion. So far Day One was okay. I plan on weighing, measuring, and logging everything because food was eaten, it must be accounted for even if their system registers it as zero. So I'm double tracking for now. I have no time for meetings, and boredom happens. I guess that's another reason for switching up programs. I'm trying WW again because I wanted to see if the new plan was simpler.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    xwendyjx wrote: »
    I am on WW, I'm finding the new program very flexible. I ate TONS of 0 point foods, including: 2 eggs, grapes, apple, celery, lettuce, chicken breast. Within REASON you can eat these things, WW does not tell you to gorge yourself on 0 point foods. They make them 0 points because they know that people will not overdo them. I get 23 points a day, I dipped into my weeklies by 4. I calculated my calories to be around 1,450. I'm in a deficit by at least 500. Feeling good! They do demonize SATURATED FAT (not all Fat), and sugar but they are not off limits, you just have to ask yourself, is it really worth 15 points for a slice of cake...

im confused by this... does WW really think people only over do certain foods? No one over eats chicken? no one over eats eggs? All it takes for most people to be a little hungry at dinner time to add a second chicken breast to their plate or make a big plate of scrambled eggs..

Grapes.. if you sat down on the couch watching tv with the bag, i am pretty sure people would eat them the same as they would a bag of chips..

To think that only certain foods are over indulged on just proves to me how weight watchers is using that to further set people up for failure to keep the money rolling in.

From their site:

"Why have these foods been chosen to be zero Points® foods?

These foods form the basis of a healthy eating pattern. They are nutrient dense foods that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy eating plan. Our research shows that they do not pose a risk for overconsumption."

I can't access the list, but apparently salmon is on it. I'm in. I could eat salmon all day every day.

Bahahahaha, I have two grape vines in my backyard. You just watch me overconsume those suckers next Feb/March!

Season's done for the year here. Thank goodness too! There's nothing like picking grapes from the vine and eating them still warm from the sun. I have a few days (well okay... make that weeks) where I have 1-2kg of grapes in my dairy. Per day. As in: there's a serving of those suckers with every single meal and snack. And as a snack of its own. That's anywhere between 690 and 1380kcals per day on just grapes. Granted. On those days where I fed myself with 2kg of grapes I'd only have protein as a side (cottage cheese or plain yoghurt or plain chicken breast), but still. Without logging and tracking, that could easily have been 1K+ over my maintenance.