Weight lifting and STILL not losing weight. HELP!

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    So background. At my heaviest in 2015 I was 215-220lbs. I’m 5’7 and 23 years old. In 2015 I managed to drop about 45lbs or so. Then i yoyo’d from 170-175 ever since. This summer, i started a low-carb/keto diet and managed to drop to my lowest weight ever which was 168 from about 176. Then...I moved in with my partner and my weight shot up to 180 in a REALLY short amount of time. I was so devastated. So since october 1st, I’ve been lifting weights more seriously and heavier and REALLY watching my calorie intake. I went back to low carb and Ive been eating like 1200 calories a day. Guess what I weight today, December 4? 179.8

Weight loss is 90% diet. Be sure you are as sure as you can be on your intake. Using a scale and measuring cups will help. Also, 1200 is too low IMO. If you eat that few calories long term your metabolism will slow.
  • tailikeswaffles
    tailikeswaffles Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I have thought of investing in a food scale I just haven't gotten around to it yet because money. I’m worried about eating more carbs because my body did do well this summer without then and once I started eating them again was when I jumped back up to 180. I feel like my body doesn’t do well with carbs.

Scales are pretty cheap. It will be eye opening. I weigh my sliced bread and it rarely is what it’s supposed to be.
    Weight gain from eating more carbs after restricting is water weight and glycogen replenishment. It doesn’t keep going up and up. Also, if new to weight training, you will gain water weight due to muscle repair if you are lifting heavy. This is all normal body function and not something to shy away from or double down on restriction.

Am I still holding on to water weight though even after two months? When does the fat loss start. I’ll try to get a scale soon to measure out my food but I’m already exhausted and stressed counting calories all the time. Even if my measurements aren’t as accurate as I thought, are they that off that the weight doesnt come off?!!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    So background. At my heaviest in 2015 I was 215-220lbs. I’m 5’7 and 23 years old. In 2015 I managed to drop about 45lbs or so. Then i yoyo’d from 170-175 ever since. This summer, i started a low-carb/keto diet and managed to drop to my lowest weight ever which was 168 from about 176. Then...I moved in with my partner and my weight shot up to 180 in a REALLY short amount of time. I was so devastated. So since october 1st, I’ve been lifting weights more seriously and heavier and REALLY watching my calorie intake. I went back to low carb and Ive been eating like 1200 calories a day. Guess what I weight today, December 4? 179.8

There lies the problem with low carb/keto, results typically rebound for people once they go off of it. Wouldn't it be better to just drop calories, keep the carbs for energy, and crush your workouts? Go find a macro calculator like iifym.com or something similar and adjust your macros so that you're getting plenty of protein, carbs, and fats, and keep your calories around 1lb per week of loss or a hair less. Eat your exercise calories back (but be accurate, some of those can be over inflated) but keep your macros steady. Just my .02. Accuracy of calorie counting is the biggest reason people don't lose weight, that's where I'd look if I were you for problems.

For me, I keep these general rules in mind:

Lifting/lifting heavy = gaining muscle = gaining weight, not a good idea if you want to rely on it solely for losing weight. Too many people think that's all they need to do, and that accurate calorie counting is silly if they are lifting tons of weight. Just remember, fat/obese people can be strong too. Some of the strongest people in the world carry around a ton of fat too.
    Cardio = burning calories = losing weight (as long as you don't eat them all back)

So a good mix of those two things along with a controlled light calorie deficit is likely what you need. Skip the low carb/keto and all other fad diets and practice iifym (If it fits your macros) as long as you stay at or a hair under your calorie goal.
  • dodochicken
    dodochicken Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi! A scale would make a huge difference, especially with calorie-dense foods such as peanut butter and oil. A tiny bit of underestimation here and there can really throw things off. It's impossible to accurately measure them with spoons or cups. It helps with measuring vegetables, as well...you can't accurately measure spinach, carrots, onions, etc, without a scale.
    Also, take into account that starting a new workout program will cause some initial water weight gain and stall any losses.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    No need for 2lbs a week deficit. Get a cheap scale-you are definitely eating more than you think. Follow a progressive lifting program.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Options
    No need for 2lbs a week deficit. Get a cheap scale-you are definitely eating more than you think. Follow a progressive lifting program.

What’s a progressive weight lifting program?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I have thought of investing in a food scale I just haven't gotten around to it yet because money. I’m worried about eating more carbs because my body did do well this summer without then and once I started eating them again was when I jumped back up to 180. I feel like my body doesn’t do well with carbs.

Scales are pretty cheap. It will be eye opening. I weigh my sliced bread and it rarely is what it’s supposed to be.
    Weight gain from eating more carbs after restricting is water weight and glycogen replenishment. It doesn’t keep going up and up. Also, if new to weight training, you will gain water weight due to muscle repair if you are lifting heavy. This is all normal body function and not something to shy away from or double down on restriction.

Am I still holding on to water weight though even after two months? When does the fat loss start. I’ll try to get a scale soon to measure out my food but I’m already exhausted and stressed counting calories all the time. Even if my measurements aren’t as accurate as I thought, are they that off that the weight doesnt come off?!!

As already stated, logging inaccuracies can account for hundreds of calories. Especially when you are eating a higher fat diet.
    2 months is very new at lifting and you could be holding onto water.
    The fat loss comes from diet. You aren’t obese so a 2lb deficit isn’t sustainable for you. Do the math.
    If you are exhausted then your diet isn’t working for you. Moderate carbs are fine and can help you feel better.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Options
    I will work on getting a scale but I’m pretty bummed about having to start all over from square one after working so hard for the last few months. And losing no weight. I feel like I’m starting to develop really bad body image issues.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

As already stated, logging inaccuracies can account for hundreds of calories. Especially when you are eating a higher fat diet.
    The fat loss comes from diet. You aren’t obese so a 2lb deficit isn’t sustainable for you. Do the math.
    If you are exhausted then your diet isn’t working for you. Moderate carbs are fine and can help you feel better.

This is a good point. Many people do find going low on a particular macro contributes to exhaustion and stress. A more moderate plan can be easier, even when it is still a deficit.
  • dodochicken
    dodochicken Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Here’s a typical day of eating for me:

Breakfast:
    Two eggs, eggwhites(YES I measure the eggwhites out)
    Spinach, onions, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese
    Two slices of turkey bacon
    About an 8th (sometime a 4th) of an avocado

Lunch:
    Protein shake with protein powder, flax seeds, peanut butter powder,very little fruit, cinnamon and either erythritol or no calorie syrup to sweeten.

Dinner:
    About 4 oz of protein
    LOTS of veggies

Snacks:
    Yogurt
    String cheese
    Sometimes a Quest protein bar

I dont drink juice. I dont drink soda. I RARELY drink tea or coffee. By rarely I mean once or twice a month. I dont even drink alcohol!!

If you can afford protein powders and bars you can afford a food scale. They are less than $20 and are the best bang for your buck when it comes to weight management. Saying "about" is useless. If you aren't losing you are consuming maintenance calories. It doesn't matter what your diet is (low carb, keto, paleo, etc.). Calories are king and you need to know exactly what you are consuming if you want results.

My partner buys the protein powder and lets me use some and she gets the protein bars for free from school. Don’t assume you know my situation :)

You can get a food scale for about ten dollars. Not sure if that is something you can swing right now, but for most people that isn't a prohibitive cost. It's like 7.8 avocados.

I personally can't afford 10 dollars, but I also can't afford avocados or frozen veggie! So I'm not going to assume the OP's financial situation. But it's certainly advisable to save up for a scale.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Options

This is a good point. Many people do find going low on a particular macro contributes to exhaustion and stress. A more moderate plan can be easier, even when it is still a deficit.

So what should my macros look more like? I was thinking about cutting down on my lifting and adding more cardio. When I first lost weight i just did insanity and ran three times a week. And I didn’t count calories.