Weight lifting and STILL not losing weight. HELP!

Options

Replies

• tailikeswaffles
    tailikeswaffles Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also used to spend about an hour on the elliptical
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Here’s a typical day of eating for me:

Breakfast:
    Two eggs, eggwhites(YES I measure the eggwhites out)
    Spinach, onions, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese
    Two slices of turkey bacon
    About an 8th (sometime a 4th) of an avocado

Lunch:
    Protein shake with protein powder, flax seeds, peanut butter powder,very little fruit, cinnamon and either erythritol or no calorie syrup to sweeten.

Dinner:
    About 4 oz of protein
    LOTS of veggies

Snacks:
    Yogurt
    String cheese
    Sometimes a Quest protein bar

I dont drink juice. I dont drink soda. I RARELY drink tea or coffee. By rarely I mean once or twice a month. I dont even drink alcohol!!

If you can afford protein powders and bars you can afford a food scale. They are less than $20 and are the best bang for your buck when it comes to weight management. Saying "about" is useless. If you aren't losing you are consuming maintenance calories. It doesn't matter what your diet is (low carb, keto, paleo, etc.). Calories are king and you need to know exactly what you are consuming if you want results.

My partner buys the protein powder and lets me use some and she gets the protein bars for free from school. Don’t assume you know my situation :)

You can get a food scale for about ten dollars. Not sure if that is something you can swing right now, but for most people that isn't a prohibitive cost. It's like 7.8 avocados.

I personally can't afford 10 dollars, but I also can't afford avocados or frozen veggies

I understand that ten dollars isn't affordable for everyone, that's why I wrote "most people."
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    No need for 2lbs a week deficit. Get a cheap scale-you are definitely eating more than you think. Follow a progressive lifting program.

What’s a progressive weight lifting program?

An established lifting program designed to have you gain strength through lifting heavier and or increase reps.
    I don’t know what you are doing, specifically. If you are using free weights, DBs or machines. If you are going to the gym and doing the same routine over and over that isn’t an effective workout. StrongLifts 5x5 is an example of a progressive lifting program. There is a great thread on MFP about “which lifting program is right for you”. Check it out.
    Lifting weights isn’t magic-it’s work. Fat doesn’t melt off because you start lifting. How you lift is important as are rest days because that is when muscle gets repaired (and built). It’s not like cardio: it’s not a big calorie burner while you are doing the lifts. The important stuff happens in rest periods.
  • dodochicken
    dodochicken Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Here’s a typical day of eating for me:

Breakfast:
    Two eggs, eggwhites(YES I measure the eggwhites out)
    Spinach, onions, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese
    Two slices of turkey bacon
    About an 8th (sometime a 4th) of an avocado

Lunch:
    Protein shake with protein powder, flax seeds, peanut butter powder,very little fruit, cinnamon and either erythritol or no calorie syrup to sweeten.

Dinner:
    About 4 oz of protein
    LOTS of veggies

Snacks:
    Yogurt
    String cheese
    Sometimes a Quest protein bar

I dont drink juice. I dont drink soda. I RARELY drink tea or coffee. By rarely I mean once or twice a month. I dont even drink alcohol!!

If you can afford protein powders and bars you can afford a food scale. They are less than $20 and are the best bang for your buck when it comes to weight management. Saying "about" is useless. If you aren't losing you are consuming maintenance calories. It doesn't matter what your diet is (low carb, keto, paleo, etc.). Calories are king and you need to know exactly what you are consuming if you want results.

My partner buys the protein powder and lets me use some and she gets the protein bars for free from school. Don’t assume you know my situation :)

You can get a food scale for about ten dollars. Not sure if that is something you can swing right now, but for most people that isn't a prohibitive cost. It's like 7.8 avocados.

I personally can't afford 10 dollars, but I also can't afford avocados or frozen veggies

~foodstamps are a thing for poor folks like me~

I inserted an emoji and added more text in that post. It cut off the second half of my post, hence the annoying lack of punctuation. I was hoping you wouldn't see it before I updated it with what had been cut off. :/ I don't know why an emoji would completely erase the second half of my post, but when I removed it, it posted fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have thought of investing in a food scale I just haven't gotten around to it yet because money. I’m worried about eating more carbs because my body did do well this summer without then and once I started eating them again was when I jumped back up to 180. I feel like my body doesn’t do well with carbs.

Scales are pretty cheap. It will be eye opening. I weigh my sliced bread and it rarely is what it’s supposed to be.
    Weight gain from eating more carbs after restricting is water weight and glycogen replenishment. It doesn’t keep going up and up. Also, if new to weight training, you will gain water weight due to muscle repair if you are lifting heavy. This is all normal body function and not something to shy away from or double down on restriction.

Am I still holding on to water weight though even after two months? When does the fat loss start. I’ll try to get a scale soon to measure out my food but I’m already exhausted and stressed counting calories all the time. Even if my measurements aren’t as accurate as I thought, are they that off that the weight doesnt come off?!!

As already stated, logging inaccuracies can account for hundreds of calories. Especially when you are eating a higher fat diet.
    2 months is very new at lifting and you could be holding onto water.
    The fat loss comes from diet. You aren’t obese so a 2lb deficit isn’t sustainable for you. Do the math.
    If you are exhausted then your diet isn’t working for you. Moderate carbs are fine and can help you feel better.

This is a good point. Many people do find going low on a particular macro contributes to exhaustion and stress. A more moderate plan can be easier, even when it is still a deficit.

So what should my macros look more like? I was thinking about cutting down on my lifting and adding more cardio. When I first lost weight i just did insanity and ran three times a week. And I didn’t count calories.

Humans have the ability to thrive, gain fitness, and lose weight on a wide variety of macro consumption averages. As long as you're getting sufficient protein and fat, you can let your preferences set your macro goals based on how you feel best. I just brought it up because low carbohydrate isn't *required* for weight loss and if you think you might feel less stress and exhaustion if you eat more carbohydrates, it's worth a try. For active people especially, carbohydrates can be a great source of energy. I personally get 50-60% of my calories from them. It wouldn't work for everyone, but it works great for me.

If you first lost weight without counting calories, it means that you naturally found a way to eat in a deficit. Some people do find this to be the case at the beginning of a new fitness program. But, as you've found, over time it may not be enough to stay in a deficit.
  • dodochicken
    dodochicken Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez...this is embarrassing. So this is what I posted before someone else quotes the messed up version: "I personally can't afford 10 dollars, but I also can't afford avocados or frozen veggies! So I'm not going to assume the OP's financial situation. But it's certainly advisable to save up for a scale."
  • tailikeswaffles
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Mindarin wrote: »
    Are you sure that you need to lose weight? Everyone's body has some sort of set point. I'm 5 8 and built similarly to you from what I can tell, and I am at my SANEST and overall healthiest when I'm about 175. Lowest I've been since highschool is 167 and that was a STRUGGLE to get there. I very strongly feel that if you're working out a lot, lifting heavy, and decently close to a healthy BMI, AND have good cardio health, then everything else is just aesthetics. Technically, I need to lose about 10 pounds to be "normal" weight, but I'm muscular (I do a similar workout to you), and I have fun times socializing with friends. That's way more important than being a twiggy thing in my book...just a thought. I just know that there's no way losing the "last fifteen pounds" is worth this much stress considering how little the health gains would be compared to where you are now....

The way I carry my weight may be different from yours. I’ve struggled with my weight my whole life (and when you’re young and have your own FAMILY constantly drags you on your weight it kinda scars you lol) but I carry my weight in my stomach, chest and arms and makes buying and wearing clothes very difficult for me. Like I’m too small to fit in a large so I wear a medium but my stomach makes everything look god awful. I avoid dresses. I avoid skirts. I avoid bathing suits. I avoid anything that even remotely shows my figure. According to my scale im about 32% body fat which apparently is a bad thing. I want to be strong but I also need to lose fat. I know i can’t spot reduce certain areas which I dont try to do so focusing on weight loss in general is what I’m trying to do but when the scale doesn’t budge its kinda disheartening.
    I totally get what you’re saying though and ive honestly considered it but that’s unfortunately not an option for me
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    OP, don’t get depressed. It’s not starting over. Feel good about being armed with better information. Your food choices are fine. Just weigh them and see what you are actually eating.

Most important thing: what are YOUR goals. Do you just want to fit into a smaller size? Do you feel like you need to lose fat. Do you want to have better body comp? Only you can answer those questions.
    A good starting place for Macros is 40%carb, 30% protein & 30% fat. See how it goes, how you feel.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I will work on getting a scale but I’m pretty bummed about having to start all over from square one after working so hard for the last few months. And losing no weight. I feel like I’m starting to develop really bad body image issues.

Once you get your food scale, come back with a more reasonable deficit. 1200 calories is ridiculously low and is not going to benefit you from a strength perspective. I suspect you will more likely see greater fat loss at much higher calorie levels.

How many calories am I supposed to be aiming for then? Like I know I shouldn’t go under 1200 but thats all I really know. I’ve been trying to eat more.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Options
    Oh jeez...this is embarrassing. So this is what I posted before someone else quotes the messed up version: "I personally can't afford 10 dollars, but I also can't afford avocados or frozen veggies! So I'm not going to assume the OP's financial situation. But it's certainly advisable to save up for a scale."

i see the corrected post now!! Sorry for the misunderstanding
  • tailikeswaffles
    Options
    OP, don’t get depressed. It’s not starting over. Feel good about being armed with better information. Your food choices are fine. Just weigh them and see what you are actually eating.

Most important thing: what are YOUR goals. Do you just want to fit into a smaller size? Do you feel like you need to lose fat. Do you want to have better body comp? Only you can answer those questions.
    A good starting place for Macros is 40%carb, 30% protein & 30% fat. See how it goes, how you feel.

My goals are basically all of that. But mostly better body comp. but i do have a goal weight in mind and I want to at least fit into smaller dress sizes. I have progress pics of the last two months and sometime i feel like theres a change but when I see the scale stuck at the same weight, i feel like I’m delusional.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that you need to lose weight? Everyone's body has some sort of set point. I'm 5 8 and built similarly to you from what I can tell, and I am at my SANEST and overall healthiest when I'm about 175. Lowest I've been since highschool is 167 and that was a STRUGGLE to get there. I very strongly feel that if you're working out a lot, lifting heavy, and decently close to a healthy BMI, AND have good cardio health, then everything else is just aesthetics. Technically, I need to lose about 10 pounds to be "normal" weight, but I'm muscular (I do a similar workout to you), and I have fun times socializing with friends. That's way more important than being a twiggy thing in my book...just a thought. I just know that there's no way losing the "last fifteen pounds" is worth this much stress considering how little the health gains would be compared to where you are now....

The way I carry my weight may be different from yours. I’ve struggled with my weight my whole life (and when you’re young and have your own FAMILY constantly drags you on your weight it kinda scars you lol) but I carry my weight in my stomach, chest and arms and makes buying and wearing clothes very difficult for me. Like I’m too small to fit in a large so I wear a medium but my stomach makes everything look god awful. I avoid dresses. I avoid skirts. I avoid bathing suits. I avoid anything that even remotely shows my figure. According to my scale im about 32% body fat which apparently is a bad thing. I want to be strong but I also need to lose fat. I know i can’t spot reduce certain areas which I dont try to do so focusing on weight loss in general is what I’m trying to do but when the scale doesn’t budge its kinda disheartening.
    I totally get what you’re saying though and ive honestly considered it but that’s unfortunately not an option for me

I have definitely struggled a lot with body image (more in the past, but still some now), so I 100 percent get this, and if your body fat % isn't healthy, that's a totally fair thing to work on! I guess what I'm trying to say isn't, "Stop all attempts at self-improvement" as much as "give yourself a break as you continue the hard work towards your goals". Your worth doesn't come from your waistline measurement. That might not be your favorite thing about yourself, but it's not actually a NEGATIVE thing about you. Working on that mental aspect of weight loss is just as important as buying the food scale (which I agree would probably be helpful for you!) because at the end of the day, if your weight is less, but you're still in a poisonous head space, you won't have the happiness you're trying to attain. You'll just have defeating self-talk about OTHER ways you're not "perfect" in your life.

With a food scale and yet a more relaxed attitude, you may reach your goals in a way that's less panic inducing for yourself and possibly even more productive. *shrug* Just a thought. Best wishes.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Options

I have definitely struggled a lot with body image (more in the past, but still some now), so I 100 percent get this, and if your body fat % isn't healthy, that's a totally fair thing to work on! I guess what I'm trying to say isn't, "Stop all attempts at self-improvement" as much as "give yourself a break as you continue the hard work towards your goals". Your worth doesn't come from your waistline measurement. That might not be your favorite thing about yourself, but it's not actually a NEGATIVE thing about you. Working on that mental aspect of weight loss is just as important as buying the food scale (which I agree would probably be helpful for you!) because at the end of the day, if your weight is less, but you're still in a poisonous head space, you won't have the happiness you're trying to attain. You'll just have defeating self-talk about OTHER ways you're not "perfect" in your life.

With a food scale and yet a more relaxed attitude, you may reach your goals in a way that's less panic inducing for yourself and possibly even more productive. *shrug* Just a thought. Best wishes.

My partner says its a mental thing too and to stop dragging myself all the time so it’s definitely something I’ll take into consideration. The frustration just gets to my head 99.99% of the time which I’m working on. But thank you! :blush:
  • ilovemyfreckles
    ilovemyfreckles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That sounds super frustrating! Congrats on your initial weightloss though, 45 pounds is incredible! I am almost to 30 pounds lost and that has taken me quite a long time to achieve.

I've found that my weight goes up by 2-3 pounds for a few days after my weightlifting days (twice a week), but then that weight comes off plus some. If you are feeling particularly sore, you may be carrying extra water weight as your muscles try to heal themselves.

Also, 1200 calories sounds very low. When I started out, I was 204 pounds and weightlifted 5 days a week for 15 minutes followed by 30 minutes of cardio. I only ate about 1200 calories and my macros were 40P 30C 30F. I lost some water weight initially, then my progress stopped completely. I felt sick and tired all the time, and had very little energy. After some research I decided to slowly up my calories to 1700 on workout days and eat 30P 40C 30F instead. I now do two 45 minute weightlifting days and 3 30 minute cardio days per week. On the weekend I eat 1500 calories since I am not working out. It sounds like you spend more time working out than me, so you may need to eat 1800-2100 calories when you do workout. It took a little while for my body to adjust to the increased calories, but after a few weeks the weight started coming off. Just be sure to increase your calories slowly.

You aren't going to increase your muscle size by very much since you are in a deficit, however your muscles will become much more dense and you will be able to lift a ton more. Just be sure to vary your workouts to keep your body guessing. I think weightlifting and cardio are very important to weight loss, however like most people have said, about 80% should be how much you are eating and the QUALITY of the food.
  • Sumiblue
    Options

My goals are basically all of that. But mostly better body comp. but i do have a goal weight in mind and I want to at least fit into smaller dress sizes. I have progress pics of the last two months and sometime i feel like theres a change but when I see the scale stuck at the same weight, i feel like I’m delusional.

Then stick with strength training. It can reshape your body. Cardio burns calories and can help you meet your deficit (but be careful you don’t overestimate the burn).
    Scales only tell you one side of the story. Since muscle is more dense than fat a person can gain weight but be smaller if they gain muscle and lose fat.
    The body fat % a BIA scale gives isn’t very accurate. Track your measurements. That will give a better idea of progress with weight training. Progress can be slow & I suspect you are in a big rush to get to the finish line.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I don’t know if you do this but If you weigh yourself every day I’d stop doing that. Monthly weigh in and measurements are a better indication of progress. Fluctuations in weight are normal. I gained 4 lbs of water after Thanksgiving (more carbs) and it took a week to come off. I just went back to my normal diet & workouts and the water came off. Sometimes people freak out over fluctuations and double down on the deficit or really ramp up exercise and that has poor outcomes.
    How heavy are you lifting? 10-12 reps is higher volume. You didn’t say whether you increase weight regularly or have increased reps up to where you are now.