Breaking weight loss plateau

Options

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Did not know the OP was male. That's even worse since the min. Calories for men on mfp is 1500. OP must eat more.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    Did not know the OP was male. That's even worse since the min. Calories for men on mfp is 1500. OP must eat more.
    I also adjusted my comments and tone based on the defective initial assumption that the OP was a typical female losing a couple more vanity pounds.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    While I don't think you're going to die from malnutrition, I don't think you could be getting all that your body needs on 600 cals a day. If you're consuming 60 grams of protein a day, which wouldn't be very much for a guy of your height and activity, that would be around 450 calories right there. Add to that some fiber that you would need, some healthy fats, hopefully some fruits and veggies, and you're over 600 calories. Even if you're taking vitamins, you do need to fuel your body and your workouts better than you are or you're setting yourself up for failure of some kind (sickness, injury, or just an inability to maintain the momentum).
    I would up my calories for a week if I were you to around 2000 and see how you do, then try dropping down to 1500, which is still very low for your height and gender.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hammad142 wrote: »
    How long has it been since you stopped losing? How much have you lost? What's your activity level like?

It's been about a month and I've lost 19kg and my activity level is high since I run daily. There's also college so I'm not a lazy person anymore

Back off from the running and add in some pushups/pullups/dips/pistol squats, since you can't get to a gym.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Apart from everything above, you don't really see or feel the immediate effects of what you're doing to yourself when you mess with your diet like this. From personal experience, ending up with several mineral and vitamin deficiencies that erode your day-to-day functioning severly is not fun and takes a long time to correct. Don't do that to youself willingly. Nobody here said anything with bad intentions in mind, quite the opposite.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    600 calories a day for a 6ft tall male of any weight, and especially at 174lbs, that is a slow form of suicide.

If everyone in the house is a doctor (I presume you mean MEDICAL doctor, because a PhD in geology won't help here), then they are either unaware of your caloric restriction, or very poor practitioners and are a danger to anyone that they treat.

The fact that you seem so sure you are getting all of your nutrients on such an insufficient diet, without numbers, grams, specific details suggests to me some underlying form of mental disorder or body dysphoria where you feel surprising everyone at a couple of weddings is more important that proper nutrition and good health and wellness.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    19kg - Thats 3 stone - 42 pounds. Thats a lot lost already.

At 79kg thats not a bad weight for a 6' male.
    Why are you Still trying to lose so much weight.
    Whats your target weight?

You should take it easy or you will end up losing muscle with such low calorie intake.
    600cal is not sustainable long term as you have already burned off a lot of the extra weight you were carrying your body will now be in danger of burning healthy muscle tissue.

You should aim to eat at your maintenance level - and let the exercise take care of the rest slowly.

• Hammad142
    Hammad142 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So I've understood what you all are trying to say and it's that I should bring my body back to the normal calorie count and do strength training instead of cardio. The doctors in the house don't know what I'm doing since they aren't here everyday. I'm still concerned that if I amp my calories then my body might gain weight but I'll go with the public opinion and start eating food to bring back my metabolism to normal which should end the plateau hopefully. Thanks everyone for pointing out the stupid mistake in my diet and someone asked what weight I'm trying to reach? Well I just want no prominent fat in my body, not even chubbiness anywhere in my body. I've grown to hate fat a lot over the years. So I want my weight to be around 68-70kg.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    So I want my weight to be around 68-70kg.

At 6" tall :huh: That is a very low weight for your gender and height.

• Hammad142
    Options

well I wanna experience what being underweight feels like
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

This sums up the entire thread, rapid weight loss, eating a very low calorie diet, wanting little to none body fat and wanting to be underweight... Your issues are far above needing to break weight stall.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    So I've understood what you all are trying to say and it's that I should bring my body back to the normal calorie count and do strength training instead of cardio. The doctors in the house don't know what I'm doing since they aren't here everyday. I'm still concerned that if I amp my calories then my body might gain weight but I'll go with the public opinion and start eating food to bring back my metabolism to normal which should end the plateau hopefully. Thanks everyone for pointing out the stupid mistake in my diet and someone asked what weight I'm trying to reach? Well I just want no prominent fat in my body, not even chubbiness anywhere in my body. I've grown to hate fat a lot over the years. So I want my weight to be around 68-70kg.

I think you might be making the classic mistake of associating your goal BODY with a goal WEIGHT. That happens a lot. Your current weight sounds pretty good for your height, and people are correct about you needing more calories to maintain your muscle mass - otherwise you just end up at a lower weight and still look flabby, which doesn't sound like the look you want.

Have you ever heard of recomping? It sounds like it might be more what you are looking for in terms of your goal. It does involve the strength training that others recommended, and it would get you to your goal of reduced body fat.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Healthy minimum calorie target for a male is 1,500 calories plus extra calories earnt from running, your only eating 600 calories. If, as you say, you are weighing and logging food/drink accurately, then this is extremely dangerous and bad for your health. You need to make changes before you become seriously unwell. You may die "die" but you will serious affect your health, ie lose muscle mass, your hair and nails will fall out, plus many other things. If you don't make changes now, you may leave it to late. Plus a loss of 3lb a week, for months before hitting this plateau, was to fast to be healthy. If you were really looking for advice, you should heed these warnings.
    G
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Healthy minimum calorie target for a male is 1,500 calories plus extra calories earnt from running, your only eating 600 calories. If, as you say, you are weighing and logging food/drink accurately, then this is extremely dangerous and bad for your health. You need to make changes before you become seriously unwell. You may die "die" but you will serious affect your health, ie lose muscle mass, your hair and nails will fall out, plus many other things. If you don't make changes now, you may leave it to late. Plus a loss of 3lb a week, for months before hitting this plateau, was to fast to be healthy. If you were really looking for advice, you should heed these warnings.
    G

Edited; meant to say may not "die"
    I you are living with doctors, you should ask them about the dangers of such a low calorie diet.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    He's 79kg... That's about 175 pounds as a 6' male. No wonder why you are struggling to lose more.. you are near your ideal weight.

OP should start lifting/exercising, eating lots of protein, and eating at maintenance if he wants better results. This basically has become a case of anorexia at 600 calories/day.

Case and point. This is not a plateau, this is anorexia which will make you far less healthy than being fat. OP should see a doctor and get help before it becomes a major problem.
  • Hammad142
    Options
    I understand what you're saying and I've started increasing my calorie intake gradually and have started strength training instead of focusing on cardio. Also it wasn't 3lbs a week it was 4. I know it was unhealthy and I shouldn't have brought such intense changes to my diet and my activity level but I did and now I'm just trying to finish it by taking off last few pounds and reach my ideal weight and BMI.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying and I've started increasing my calorie intake gradually and have started strength training instead of focusing on cardio. Also it wasn't 3lbs a week it was 4. I know it was unhealthy and I shouldn't have brought such intense changes to my diet and my activity level but I did and now I'm just trying to finish it by taking off last few pounds and reach my ideal weight and BMI.

The weight that's ideal in your mind and what is ideal for you physically and medically are apparently not the same.