Has Weight Watchers gone insane?

Options

Replies

• sadiepie10
    sadiepie10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

cathipa wrote: »
    Shoechick5 wrote: »
    I'm positive on the list I have smoked fish is included as being Zero.

Here's the list
    https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/sites/default/files/freestyle_zero_points_foods.pdf

So how many points are you allowed per day? 10? The majority of the foods listed are foods I eat regularly and I would have some days that are mostly zero days. This makes no sense from a weight loss standpoint because they are saying they don't count? Eggs = 0 when they are 70 calories a piece? Chicken breast = 0 when 4 oz is 120 calories? No wonder WW people don't lose weight.

On the new plan I will get 23 with 42 weekly points. I’m 5’8 and 30 years old with 40 lbs to lose.
  • sadiepie10
    Options

Here's the list
    https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/sites/default/files/freestyle_zero_points_foods.pdf

So how many points are you allowed per day? 10? The majority of the foods listed are foods I eat regularly and I would have some days that are mostly zero days. This makes no sense from a weight loss standpoint because they are saying they don't count? Eggs = 0 when they are 70 calories a piece? Chicken breast = 0 when 4 oz is 120 calories? No wonder WW people don't lose weight.

Also, I’ve been on smart points close to 4 months now and have lost and gained the same 5lbs over and over again.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Here's the list

You don't have to use all of the points. I believe it's -10 to +5 range. I get 23, so I can go between 13 and 28. I only used 19 yesterday. So far 10 today. I still stayed within my deficit. Im at a little under 1000 calories so far. 1200 limit not including half my exercise calories. And as for WW people not losing weight, see my previous post on this thread regarding that.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I just cant get over the free foods list, literally I would have so many days that are 0 points or close to 0 points, thats insane!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Here's the list

I had thought the idea was that there was a serving limit on free foods, but that suggests that you can just unlimited eat them. That really is quite bizarre. Is the point limit way lower now?

(I've never actually done WW, so just know about it secondhand.)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    sadiepie10 wrote: »

Here's the list

Also, I’ve been on smart points close to 4 months now and have lost and gained the same 5lbs over and over again.

My point exactly. Why would anyone want to pay for a program that isn't working?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

Here's the list

I believe the new minimum is 23 points a day and you can carry 4 over. On Facebook yesterday, Skinnytaste posted a revised recipe under the new plan, it was around 350 calories but now only 2 smart points. and those two points were the avocado, take that out and add a chicken breast and you're looking at close to 400 calories for free. What the hell??? Just crazy.

I'm so confused. If it's a recipe, doesn't that mean it's "blended"? And if it's blended, doesn't that mean it has points? Don't you have to put everything on the plate separately for it to be 0 calories, or points, or something?
  • sadiepie10
    Options

Here's the list

My point exactly. Why would anyone want to pay for a program that isn't working?

LOL! I don’t know!

• Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Here's the list

I believe the new minimum is 23 points a day and you can carry 4 over. On Facebook yesterday, Skinnytaste posted a revised recipe under the new plan, it was around 350 calories but now only 2 smart points. and those two points were the avocado, take that out and add a chicken breast and you're looking at close to 400 calories for free. What the hell??? Just crazy.

I'm so confused. If it's a recipe, doesn't that mean it's "blended"? And if it's blended, doesn't that mean it has points? Don't you have to put everything on the plate separately for it to be 0 calories, or points, or something?

I thought it was just fruit that couldn't be blended...ie a smoothy, not an actual recipe. Here's the recipe I was referring to.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/lentil-bowls-with-avocado-eggs-and-cholula/
  • sadiepie10
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I originally joined WW in the late 80s, as a tubby (supposedly) teen, my meeting was one the area leader had started specifically for teens.

The plan then was based on what was essentially macros - you had a certain number of protein, 'bread' (basically any carby stuff fell under this), fats, dairy, fruits, veg. Fruit you absolutely counted, veg I think was set at 3-5 serving per day, and it was made clear which ones were higher cal and you shouldn't go crazy on. You also had an allowance of extra calories/kilojoules to 'spend' on what you wanted, which increased over the first 4-6 weeks. A serving of protein or carbs was equivalent to around 100 cals, fats would have been probably 50ish. Unfortunately I lost my cookbook that went with the programme I started on (actually I think it was the programme that came immediately after - Quick Success) in a move, or it's hiding somewhere that is not my bookshelf, and ditched all my other programme material years ago too, or I'd add up what the total daily cals were (I bet my Mum still has a set). I think I still have an original Points system book somewhere.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of saying once upon a time, WW programmes actually used to be pretty sensible. Fat was low, b/c 80s, but it was very much emphasised that fat was important (when I was a leader I would tell my class how rats will lose their tails if they don't get enough fat, and we wouldn't want that, would we? :tongue: ), and of course the three servings was added fat.

Weight Watchers is where I learned to weigh, measure, and track my food.

This! I did weight watchers back in 2008-09 when points were still based on calories (1point=50 calories). That was when I learned the importance of measuring and tracking. Smart points is hard because I have no idea how many calories I am eating. 30 points could equal, for me, 900 calories or close to 1700.

I have no idea about freestyle because my WW app hasn’t switched over to it yet.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I originally joined WW in the late 80s, as a tubby (supposedly) teen, my meeting was one the area leader had started specifically for teens.

The plan then was based on what was essentially macros - you had a certain number of protein, 'bread' (basically any carby stuff fell under this), fats, dairy, fruits, veg. Fruit you absolutely counted, veg I think was set at 3-5 serving per day, and it was made clear which ones were higher cal and you shouldn't go crazy on. You also had an allowance of extra calories/kilojoules to 'spend' on what you wanted, which increased over the first 4-6 weeks. A serving of protein or carbs was equivalent to around 100 cals, fats would have been probably 50ish. Unfortunately I lost my cookbook that went with the programme I started on (actually I think it was the programme that came immediately after - Quick Success) in a move, or it's hiding somewhere that is not my bookshelf, and ditched all my other programme material years ago too, or I'd add up what the total daily cals were (I bet my Mum still has a set). I think I still have an original Points system book somewhere.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of saying once upon a time, WW programmes actually used to be pretty sensible. Fat was low, b/c 80s, but it was very much emphasised that fat was important (when I was a leader I would tell my class how rats will lose their tails if they don't get enough fat, and we wouldn't want that, would we? :tongue: ), and of course the three servings was added fat.

This! I did weight watchers back in 2008-09 when points were still based on calories (1point=50 calories). That was when I learned the importance of measuring and tracking. Smart points is hard because I have no idea how many calories I am eating. 30 points could equal, for me, 900 calories or close to 1700.

I have no idea about freestyle because my WW app hasn’t switched over to it yet.

Yep, original Points gave a lot of flexibility, without being punitive. Though I did (do) prefer the previous 'Success' systems for their focus on macros and nutrition - protein was 4-5 servings, carbs 3-4, fats 2-3, fruit 2-3, veg 5, additional kilojoules started at 400 and worked up to 2000 (how do I remember this stuff???). Oh and I think you could add more exchanges of your choice for exercise.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

Yep, original Points gave a lot of flexibility, without being punitive. Though I did (do) prefer the previous 'Success' systems for their focus on macros and nutrition - protein was 4-5 servings, carbs 3-4, fats 2-3, fruit 2-3, veg 5, additional kilojoules started at 400 and worked up to 2000 (how do I remember this stuff???). Oh and I think you could add more exchanges of your choice for exercise.

I also did WW around 1989 when they were doing the Quick Success (I still have my cookbooks) program right before they started the Fat and Fiber program. I think that one was the last sane program based on actual true calorie calculations before they started all this 'it's worth what points we say it's worth' nonsense. Those two programs are definitely the last programs I'd give any credence to.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    if you want to go on ww..just eat 1200 calories a day.. that's basiclaly the plan..they just switch it up to make it new so people keep joining. i dislike ww
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I also did WW around 1989 when they were doing the Quick Success (I still have my cookbooks) program right before they started the Fat and Fiber program. I think that one was the last sane program based on actual true calorie calculations before they started all this 'it's worth what points we say it's worth' nonsense. Those two programs are definitely the last programs I'd give any credence to.

I'm quite sad about losing that book, just from a nostalgia perspective. It was a birthday present from my mother :D
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I hated Smart Points simply for the guilt trips I went on every time I chose a higher point food. That and the program and meetings became punitive toward fitness minded people. Therefore I don't attended meetings.
  • sadiepie10
    Options

I hated Smart Points simply for the guilt trips I went on every time I chose a higher point food. That and the program and meetings became punitive toward fitness minded people. Therefore I don't attended meetings.

Yes! The guilt with smart points is strong. When I feel guilty about food choices it usually leads to a binge. Which is why I’ve just been maintaining for the last four months. I would also feel guilty about dipping into my fitpoints because they tell you not to eat them if you can help it.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I am off work the first week of January. I know I'll be feeling like getting over some of the overindulgences from Christmas, and I'm tempted to do a week of nothing but foods from that list, and reporting back.

and the Aussie "no smoked fish" thing is stupid - I smoke my own fish, it's no different to baking it. What's the issue. And I agree with Kriss on the pork v chicken question, lean pork is barely more calories than chicken.

And holy hell, the price! I thought that $35 a month for online was actually pretty reasonable and better than I remembered, then I realised it was a one-month-only 50% off deal - $70 a month for online and an app? I can get a gym membership for that...

And just to be clear, I'm a WWer from way back, through every incarnation - Classic, Fat n Fibre, Points, Smart Points, Simply Filling... it just gets further and further from the nice simple program it was.