Green tea diet

Options

Replies

• Pocatello_Ravenclaw
    Options
    You have to drink something like 18 cups a day for it to affect weight loss the way you want it to.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    You have to drink something like 18 cups a day for it to affect weight loss the way you want it to.

I like green tea. I don't like it enough to do that to myself....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can it help, sure, but there are a lot of factors to consider, such as bioavailability and other factors as noted below. Will drinking green tea help, most likely not as it doesn't take into considerations the below information.

https://examine.com/supplements/green-tea-catechins/

"The benefits of green tea catechins on lipid oxidation and related fat-burning pathways are achieved in a dose dependent manner. Significant effects in humans are noted only at high doses, such as 400-500mg EGCG equivalent per day (most Green Tea Extract supplements are roughly 50% EGCG). Fat burning effects are highly synergistic, almost dependent, on not consuming caffeine habitually."
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

Lol Yea I can def see this, you would be so full of tea you wouldn't have room for extra calores=weightloss ;)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    It's interesting that people will join this website which is based on controlling calories, and then use other diets to try and lose weight.

Believe me, from my own personal experience, MFP works. No need to do anything else.

There is no trick to weight loss. Just eat less calories than your body burns in a day and stay the course.

well thats not all accurate. Ive lost about 30 lbs and it wasn't just by eating less calories than my body burns a day.i changed my diet.

How do you think weight loss works?

There seems to be a bit of strain or tension on this discussion. I apologize if I've offended or upset you.

It's just very frustrating when someone starts a discussion by asking for people's views, then responds on the basis that they don't really care what anyone says, they're going to do their own thing anyway.

Plus, you seem to have some inaccurate ideas about weight loss and people are trying to clarify for you, but you don't seem to be interested in learning anything.

I think by some of the stuff ive been saying it does sound like i don't understand the process of weight loss. But i do, i just wanted to TRY this random, false, fad diet. I dont have any expectations of weight loss from this.i expect weight loss from healthy eating, lower calories sometimes and working out..

You can actually not eat healthy and not work out.........just the lowering calories to a deficit(not sometimes but most if not all of the time) would do it. The others are a health bonus and def recommended.

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of green tea. Matcha, sencha, genmaicha... at least a couple 16oz mugs a day.

And I can say - without a doubt - it has not affected my weight loss progress whatsoever. The calories are the only thing that matter.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea every morning - in fact, I'm doing so as I type this up.

I've gained ~12 lb over the last few months - some (most?) is water weight, but still...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ive read about how good it is to drink 3-4 cups of green tea a day for weight loss. i was planning to try it for a month or 2. i failed, i forgot to bring it with me. Although i did try it for 2-3 days and my weight did actually go down quickly. but for those 2-3 days i also wasnt eating very much at all, besides alot of watermelon. whats your views of this diet type thing?

Weight loss - all weight loss - comes from calorie deficit.

If green tea helped you eat less, then I guess it helped a bit. I've been a green tea drinker for decades, but it has never helped me.

A lot of water melon - not a lot of nutrition there. The goal shouldn't be to get the lowest possible calories.....nutrition be damned. Nutrition still matters, your stored body fat won't nourish everything. Look at macros - protein, fat, and carbs.....are you meeting those?

Named "diets" never work for me. Sure I can lose the weight, but that's just the first step. Look for something that helps you lose weight AND helps you keep it off.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Green tea has many of health benefits. As far as weight loss, I think it might aid in weight loss by giving you something to put in your stomach to help with hunger pains. Sometimes when I think I'm hungry, I drink a hot beverage instead and it helps. But I've also read that too much green tea can have adverse side effects. All in moderation.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You aren’t treating your experience in a controlled manner (all eating the same with green tea added) so there is nothing to learn from your experience.

Scientific method
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of aggressiveness here.. I don't expect this to make me lose weight, I just find this stuff fascinating. not a waste of money or time, it takes literally 8 seconds for me to down a cup of green tea. Once i get back to my normal diet, basically 100% carbs (im vegan), ill restart just for the fun of it for me.

Being vegan doesn't have to result in a diet that is 100% carbohydrates -- in fact, given that many plant foods have protein and fat, it would require some work in order to consume that percentage.

For example, I'm vegan and my diet is typically 50-60% carbohydrates. That's without doing any carbohydrate restriction.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of aggressiveness here.. I don't expect this to make me lose weight, I just find this stuff fascinating. not a waste of money or time, it takes literally 8 seconds for me to down a cup of green tea. Once i get back to my normal diet, basically 100% carbs (im vegan), ill restart just for the fun of it for me.

Being vegan doesn't have to result in a diet that is 100% carbohydrates -- in fact, given that many plant foods have protein and fat, it would require some work in order to consume that percentage.

Yeah, it would be basically impossible unless your diet was low in veg and super unbalanced. I really can't even imagine how it would be possible.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea in the morning in place of breakfast because I don't like to eat in the morning, it keeps me full until lunch so I eat less and therefore lose weight. That doesn't mean the green tea made me lose weight, eating less made me lose weight.