Miserable

Does dieting make anyone else feel miserable?
I'm trying to look at it as healthier eating rather than a diet - but I still feel like I'm missing out.
I find moderation REALLY difficult - so I thought by cutting down on sugar would help.
Lower carbs, higher fats = fuller and satisfied.
Which is true ....
But the craving for sugar is intense!
Last night I attempted moderation - 1 biscuit that led to 5 and then a small binge

Replies

• Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    I think the minute you say that some beloved food is off limits your mind wants it. I will say sugar cravings are real. I agree with the above poster who said healthy eating should make you feel good. Healthy foods taste very good. Try some new recipes! However, you are changing habits and that takes times.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    To add to my post, I avoid having enough of anything to constitute a binge, lying around at any given time.

To add to that, cookies would have to be large in order to make five of them constitute a binge.
  • Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    Hang in there! The cravings do get much less intense after the first few weeks. And I have found that it helps to pair food items with higher sugar content with food items that have high protein or fiber. But I try to be picky about desserts (only indulge when it's worth it) and eat a smaller portion size because I know how it's going to affect me. It also helps me to drink a bunch of water right after eating something sugary.
  • RLBansonNoond1990
    RLBansonNoond1990 Posts: 29 Member
    I know exactly how you feel!

Trying to change my lifestyle makes me feel so unhappy because of cravings and worrying/feeling like I'm not having enough to eat or that I'm missing out on nice food.

It's one of the main reasons I started posting on the MFP community because it's helped me feel more focused and motivated!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Did you just start? It is soooo much harder when you just start! Once a couple of weeks pass, it really DOES get better. If the issue is that you're hungry all of the time, I'd try volume eating; still count calories BUT make sure most of your food is fruit and veggies. You can eat a lot, esp of veggies. The first few weeks, the only thing I can say is that you gotta keep your eye on the prize. It's temporary but the changes that will happen in your mind and your body and so much bigger and SO worth it.
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2017
    you need to change your mentality first. if you think you are miserable because you are dieting, you are just preparing yourself to go back up to your unhealthy life once you lost some pounds.
    and yes it is true that your brain gets addicted to sugar or high GI carbs but once you get over at least a week you won't even flinch in front of those foods.
    In my case, i noticed that in fact i like the cocoa of the chocolates and other tastes that the sugar only enhances, in fact this sugarly taste is just something that my brain got used to from decades of consumption. So now i just eat some unsweetened dark chocolate (minimum 80%) whenever i need to satisfy my sweet tooth. i also made a single day of the week for cheating to get a little carb back and i don't ever feel the need to stuff my face again.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    You're likely eating too less.

What are your stats. Sex, age, weight height. And daily calorie intake and expenditure goals?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Does dieting make anyone else feel miserable?
    I'm trying to look at it as healthier eating rather than a diet - but I still feel like I'm missing out.
    I find moderation REALLY difficult - so I thought by cutting down on sugar would help.
    Lower carbs, higher fats = fuller and satisfied.
    Which is true ....
    But the craving for sugar is intense!
    Last night I attempted moderation - 1 biscuit that led to 5 and then a small binge

It takes time to make changes and learn to moderate. I would recommend sticking closer to your previous diet and making smaller changes over time to reduce misery.
    If you practice having fewer biscuits regularly or find something sweet that you do not go overboard on you might find in time that moderating sugar isn't as hard.
    Have you ever learned to ride a bike or driven a car? Most people don't decide to do those things and are joining races in a couple of weeks. If you wobble on your bike and fall down you get up and ride it again. If you overdo biscuits today try to do better tomorrow.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    I found it miserable until I decided to just focus on CICO. Now I eat whatever I like as long as I’m still in a deficit.