First Christmas Alone

Options
BeamingBadass
BeamingBadass Posts: 1,454 Member
So this is going to be my first Christmas alone (my daughter will be with her Dad)..thinking about it is giving me so much anxiety..Anyone else spend it alone? What do you do?

Replies

• Big_LittleMomma
    Big_LittleMomma Posts: 93 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I wish I had really good advice to say here but I don't :cry:
    Sending hugs <3
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Well I will be here. send me a message, I will chat you up!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Find people to spend time with---where do you live? I could make many, many suggestions but need your approx location. In the meantime, i'm sure you can go to a Nursing Home or Hospital & read to ppl living there who would appreciate your kindness.
  • BeamingBadass
    Options
    I am in Philadelphia guys, thank you
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love it to many times I have gone to other families home with a fake smile on my face hoping for the damn day goes by fast....love the day it belongs to you ....
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Be my first alone as well. Probably get some nogg, a bottle of something potent, relax and watch Christmas movies, eat a bit too much.
  • BeamingBadass
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    Be my first alone as well. Probably get some nogg, a bottle of something potent, relax and watch Christmas movies, eat a bit too much.

but which movies?
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options

but which movies?

Elf is a must
    The old clay-mation ones
    Fun ones basically. I will avoid all sappy ones like the plague.
  • BeamingBadass
    Options

but which movies?

Elf is a must
    The old clay-mation ones
    Fun ones basically. I will avoid all sappy ones like the plague.

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?"
  • _Grimlock_
    _Grimlock_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I will chat up with you also.
    I'll send you a request and you can decide from there.
  • BeamingBadass
    Options
    Yes please! I love new friends! Ya'll are welcome to request me :)
  • plus20UsernameOfPower
    Options
    I can empathize. This will be my first Christmas after my separation. I'll be with my family on Christmas Eve, but will be waking up Christmas morning alone. It hasn't quite sunk in yet.

I plan to watch 24 hours of A Christmas Story. :) And hang out with my cat. :)
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I spent the holidays alone when I lived abroad. The whole island shut down at the close of the day on the 23rd and reopened at ~noon on 12/26 (even fast food, the movies, and 95% of gas stations were closed. They take holidays seriously.). I stocked up on treats at the store: personal care - nail polish, new lotion, candles; some favorites - lime sparkling water, fruit, dark chocolate; and some new things - ALL the flavors of potato chip (I still miss the roast chicken flavor), locally made cookies, intriguing frozen aisle appetizer, etc. I stayed in (not much choice, haha), watched DVDs, read, and generally did whatever the F I wanted. My mom put a card and small gift in my luggage while I was packing, so I opened those and was a little sad, but it was ok. I think we probably skyped, but the internet was always awful so it probably wasn't a long/in-depth call with my family.

You might feel sad, and that's ok. I probably cried a little that Christmas, because after two days alone I was a little lonely and was really looking forward to everything going back to normal on the 26th/27th, but I was ok. Can you set up a time to call your daughter for a few minutes just to give her your good wishes?
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options

but which movies?

Die Hard is an annual must for me. And the Claymation Rudolph.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The 1st year or so is rough, but the 25th is just a day. Pick another day to celebrate with your daughter and on the 25th, have a nice, lazy day at home. Go for a walk, read a book, take a bubble bath, or find some other Christmas "orphans" if you don't think you want to be alone and host or attend a little party. It does get easier.