Comments on pre-weight loss body

Options

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Does he often say insensitive things, or is this the first time? It could have been a one-off word-vomit kinda thing. I think we all say things that don't quite come out right once and a while. But if it's a pattern of rude, intentional comments - then I'd get out of that relationship.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Does he often say insensitive things, or is this the first time? It could have been a one-off word-vomit kinda thing. I think we all say things that don't quite come out right once and a while. But if it's a pattern of rude, intentional comments - then I'd get out of that relationship.

OP Is now remembering comments made before this....sounds like it's a pattern and that was the eye opening moment.

Ah I missed that! Yeah, this guy knows what he's doing. He's subtly manipulating her with his "comments". Slippery slope, OP! Be careful.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Do you have a problem with his opinion, or how he expressed it? It's an important distinction.
  • willow00
    willow00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It’s your body- you choose what you do with it. He has no right or place to say how he wants it to be. When you care about someone you support them through thick & thin (excuse the pun), sickness & health, etc. Trust your gut!
  • ecsumaria
    ecsumaria Posts: 27 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Drop him! You never know what could happen in the future medically (unfortunately). What a jerk!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    I'd say you could be overthinking it. He was specifically referring to your looks which is superficial and isn't about YOU as a person. If he had said "I don't ever want you to BE like that again"....well, that's different. On the plus side he's honest. Imagine you had pink hair when you met him, now it's natural and he said "I don't want to ever see you look like that again", would you laugh it off or would it bother you?

You’re right, that probably wouldn’t bother me. And I do appreciate the honesty. But now that I’m looking back on it I realize he’s also suggested I dye my hair, get a fake tan, and get more revealing clothes. And I’ve known him 5 months. And it’s all just a little weird when I look at it all together instead of the separate incidents they were

Woah. Nope. More than a little weird.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    I'd say you could be overthinking it. He was specifically referring to your looks which is superficial and isn't about YOU as a person. If he had said "I don't ever want you to BE like that again"....well, that's different. On the plus side he's honest. Imagine you had pink hair when you met him, now it's natural and he said "I don't want to ever see you look like that again", would you laugh it off or would it bother you?

You’re right, that probably wouldn’t bother me. And I do appreciate the honesty. But now that I’m looking back on it I realize he’s also suggested I dye my hair, get a fake tan, and get more revealing clothes. And I’ve known him 5 months. And it’s all just a little weird when I look at it all together instead of the separate incidents they were

I think that's very insightful. When you look at your relationship overall you don't seem to feel very good about it. Maybe this latest incident was just what got you started thinking about it. Plus, it appears that you don't feel like you can speak openly with him about it either. That may be only in your head and not anything to do with him, but it merits consideration.

Maybe this is more to do with you and less to do with him and his comments. Maybe you're not in a good place to be in a relationship at all, even a "casual" one.