Why does this food even exist?

DX2JX2
DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
The holidays are here and I'm getting my fair share of impersonal corporate gifts. I can't tell you how many liquor filled chocolates I've received. I can't imagine who actually likes these things and for the life of me have no idea how they've become such a standard holiday item.

I know we all have foods that we just don't like, but at least in most of those cases it's not too much of a stretch to see how/why others could like them.

That said, some foods are so bad that it's impossible to think of anything appealing about them. What are they for you? What food items baffle you by their mere existence?

Liquor filled chocolates and Danish salty licorice are mine...I can't figure out why anybody finds them appealing!

Replies

• DX2JX2
    I love cherries soaked in whiskey and covered in chocolate...though, homemade liquor treats are way better than store bought, some of the store ones aren't half bad.

I'm more baffled by chicken feet and pigs feet...why would anyone want to eat feet, and what the heck is there even to eat on a chickens foot???

If you like chicken wings, there's a very good chance that you'll like chicken feet. I personally find them too difficult to eat to be worth the bother but they're full of that gelatinous goodness that tends to make wings enjoyable.

Ditto pigs feet though pickled versions are beyond me. At least well roasted or fried pigs feet have crispy sticky skin and fall off the bone meat - like a really really nicely roasted pig.
  • DX2JX2
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Wait. What’s wrong with liquor filled chocolates? I think they arenice to put out with coffee after dinner. But I also like liquor in my coffee. Lol. Yea, I think you might be in the minority and/or you just don’t drink.

Don't get me wrong...I love drinking. Whisky/whiskey/bourbon/rye especially. But for some reason I can't manage them in my chocolates.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Salty licorice was pretty bad. Plain licorice is bad enough to me.
    Musk sticks are strange. It is hard to imagine someone enjoying eating something that seems like an air freshener or old lady perfume.
    Kool aid pickles seem so very wrong.
    I'm not sure why people want to stick bacon into desserts now. Not appealing to me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Why is carrot cake a thing? Why in the world did someone look at cake and say to themselves, "This needs a vegetable"?

Rum cake on the other hand...

"You know what this cake needs? Booze. I've only got 2 hands, and 1 of them is holding a cigarette..."

Random side note: I am loving your Jim Gaffigan references! Beyond the pale is so good!

Awesome! I'm just glad someone got them...