Still confused

Options

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Lemme guess, the guys on YouTube are probably wrestlers doing incredibly stupid and unhealthy things to make weight, like starvation dieting and taking laxatives. Even if they didn't tell you they did, to lose half a pound a day for several days in a row, they likely did. It's eating disorder behavior and that leads nowhere good.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have no idea who you’re following. YouTube fitness gurus are my guilty pleasure and 99% of them do not pay attention to scale numbers.
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    At the start of this thread it seems like you were looking for advice - but as I've read through what I've noticed is an argument waiting to happen. You seem convinced that you have this figured out. And I can second just about what everyone else has said...

I have lost 48 pounds since mid-June and I weigh every day. Now, you and I probably weigh for different reasons - I'm a data geek and like to see how I retain water after working out and get a feel for how my diet could affect water retention. There is no flipping way to gain 8 pounds in a day (I mean unless you were an absolute slug and consumed like 30,000 calories???) - but I have found that my scale can fluctuate by 2 or 3 pounds in a day but month over month my trend is down. The advice to use a separate app is good, that might help. You also have to tighten up your diary - everything that goes into your mouth goes into the diary. And please, I'm begging you... don't cut your water intake to drop your weight. It is SO short-sighted... if you aren't consuming enough liquids, your body will retain the water it needs which will only frustrate you further. And stop worrying about salt... it might drive some of that daily variation, but again... using an app to watch your weight trend overall will show you that your body is responding normally. You must be patient.

If you're concerned about the beer belly - stop drinking beer. The benefits of dropping the beer are vastly greater than just losing the belly. In your shoes, I'd also consider focusing on body fat percentage rather than weight since that seems to be touchy. If you don't focus on building the muscles under that beer belly, you aren't going to be happy at 175 either. So... drop the bf% and don't worry about the scale until you're happy with how you look. Then you know what you want to maintain at and what activity level is required to do it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Your diary is really incomplete. My tips would be:

1. Tighten up your logging. Weigh all your solid foods with a digital scale and use measuring cups for liquids. Try to to be as accurate as possible.
    2. Find a reasonable goal based on your height and weight. I like using this website to calculate my TDEE, then subtract 250-500 for your daily calorie goal (to lose approx. .5-1lbs a week): http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
    3. Remove high-calorie, low-density foods from your diet. Stuff like peanut butter, junk food, fast food.
    4. Add more low-calorie, high-density foods like fresh fruit and vegetables, salads, lean proteins.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    the_prez3 wrote: »
    I’ve been working at this for a year and one thing I’ve learned after losing 60lbs is the body doesn’t do anything in a linear fashion. Weight fluctuates every day. Despite some of the advice above, the most accurate way to track weight loss is to weigh yourself everyday at the same time with the same amount of clothes on and ignore the number but write it down. You only pay attention to the weekly average. If you try and force your body to lose too fast, it will fight back and make you miserable. Slow down, learn more and have a crockpot mentality not a microwave.

I love this, it's perfect! Thank you!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    phwdjones wrote: »
    For all those suggesting it - my logging is perfect. If I don’t put a food in there it’s because I already know its calorie density and do the math in my head instead

OK-either you keep on spinning your wheels,or you listen to the good advice you've gotten. Take your pick.