December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Good for you telling the woman she cannot talk to Skip. You can tell her that from now on she is to talk only with your insurance company. You filed an accident report and so did she. You can check with your insurance company on what the recommend and how they see this going forward. If she talks with Skip there is no telling what claims she may make. I can't remember if you filed a claim that said the woman was at fault.(If you didn't that may work against you. In these cases it's good to put down all the facts in your favor and let the other side prove anything that isn't.)
    4 miles this am though I really wanted to stay in bed. Thighs are feeling the 28 miles I put on the road Thursday-Saturday last week. Looking to make my goal this month.

exercise.png
  • CiaraRebello
    CiaraRebello Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone with injuries on this thread improves quickly. It is good to hear because it inspires me to not be lazy to take the time to warm up/cool down/stretch and be careful as a new runner..

December running challenge:
    Dec 3: 3 miles (running 1 minutes, walking 2 min)
    Dec 6: 1.5 miles (running 3 minutes, walking 1 min)
    Dec 8: 1.5 miles (running 3 minutes, walking 1 min)
    Dec 10: 1.5 miles (running 3 minutes, walking 1 min)
    Dec 13: 1.8 miles (running 4/4/4/4/6 minutes, walking 1 min between)
    Dec 15: 1.8 miles (running 4/6/6/6 minutes, walking 1 min between)
    Dec 17: 2 miles (running 6/6/8/6, walking 1 minute)
    Can't wait to try 10 minutes straight running next time!

So far: 13.1 miles
    Total Goal: 25 miles

@skippygirlsmom - I was in an accident a few years ago. It is good she has you to help as it was so frustrating navigating all the insurance processes.

@juliet3455 - Great picture with the shorts and Santa hat!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley keeping it real here, while there are awesome waist lamps you can buy (@MNLittleFinn has one!) my cheap *kitten* just slides a head lamp down and it does the same thing. I also have taken a BD lamp apart recently and mounted the light to the chest strap of my hydration pack.

fmpl4gxa3jvd.jpg

56134b8zl5um.jpg
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley Ultraspire makes a great belt lamp. I have the 600 lumen and LOVE it
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    What is the advantage of belt vs chest vs head?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I just bought a two pack of lights on Amazon. I am planning to clip one to the front of my hydration vest. I tested it out my front door and it helped light up the sidewalk.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Love the travel idea!! May do that this summer when travelling with the family.
    @amymoreorless - Ouch!! Good luck at the doc.
    @juliet3455 - Nice shorts! 6° C is plenty warm for shorts.
    @JessicaMcB - Happy anniversary! Also, I'm not sure I am near thin enough to simply slide a headlamp to my waist :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I hate having a lamp on my head???? Also lower angle makes rocks/roots cast longer shadows, making them more 3D when it's like 2300 and your in zombie mode.....
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I do have to say, I have seen this thread for a while, but never thought I was "up to par" to even think to join. Even now, I look through some of the posts here & see the mileage some people rack up & I feel a bit of a beginner, splashing about in the kiddie pool when the others are gliding in the deep end! lol However, this does help keep me accountable, and that, coupled with my desire to complete the CT10K program means that this is the most I have run in a month in several years!

I have to tell you that the feeling kind of never goes away. Despite what others here say, I still feel like a newbe a lot of the time.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    @PastorVincent I do multiple because I am an awkward height and head lamps, no matter how they're angled, won't give me the amount of throw I need on their own. It's rare I use all three (it would have to be super high tech terrain at night), it's usually just chest and waist on a normal day.

Welcome @dreamer12151 ! Remember, we were all beginners once :)
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    I do have to say, I have seen this thread for a while, but never thought I was "up to par" to even think to join. Even now, I look through some of the posts here & see the mileage some people rack up & I feel a bit of a beginner, splashing about in the kiddie pool when the others are gliding in the deep end! lol However, this does help keep me accountable, and that, coupled with my desire to complete the CT10K program means that this is the most I have run in a month in several years!

I have to tell you that the feeling kind of never goes away. Despite what others here say, I still feel like a newbe a lot of the time.

Preach. I still have trouble with that and any reference to my "speed". @MNLittleFinn is a boss though, a newb no more :p
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I hate having a lamp on my head???? Also lower angle makes rocks/roots cast longer shadows, making them more 3D when it's like 2300 and your in zombie mode.....

I hate the bouncing light, make me disoriented. Love the idea of a belt lamp.
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    32 miles.
    Bossymom15

12/2 - 4.5 miles
    12/6 - 1.3 mile - ran till it was too dark. Our roads aren't so great, don't want to fall on my face. Looking forward to Saturday. the weather should be perfect.
    12/9 - the weather WAS perfect! I went out to run another 4 miles and ran 6.5. (It was downhill the last two miles, so after I got up that hill..... so 12.3Miles this week.
    12/14 1.5 miles
    12/16 4.5 miles.... 18.30 so far...

Been encouraging(bribing) my 18 yr old son to start running/walking. Everything I read cites how good it is for Crohn's disease. It actually changes the microbes in your gut to fight Inflammation! And...of course the stress relief of it all. Its more stressful right now for me to get him moving!! It's hard to tell a kid whose tired ALL the time that exercising will help him be LESS tired..
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    bossymom15 wrote: »
    32 miles.
    Bossymom15

12/2 - 4.5 miles
    12/6 - 1.3 mile - ran till it was too dark. Our roads aren't so great, don't want to fall on my face. Looking forward to Saturday. the weather should be perfect.
    12/9 - the weather WAS perfect! I went out to run another 4 miles and ran 6.5. (It was downhill the last two miles, so after I got up that hill..... so 12.3Miles this week.
    12/14 1.5 miles
    12/16 4.5 miles.... 18.30 so far...

Been encouraging(bribing) my 18 yr old son to start running/walking. Everything I read cites how good it is for Crohn's disease. It actually changes the microbes in your gut to fight Inflammation! And...of course the stress relief of it all. Its more stressful right now for me to get him moving!! It's hard to tell a kid whose tired ALL the time that exercising will help him be LESS tired..

I still struggle with the bold part! And then I feel worse when I sit on the couch all night instead of working out. Our brains man, they like to play tricks on us!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Same is true for arthritis... it hurts to move, so the all the docs saying "move more!" are ignored, and yet I can testify that "move more" does, in fact, make arthritis more manageable.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options

Same is true for arthritis... it hurts to move, so the all the docs saying "move more!" are ignored, and yet I can testify that "move more" does, in fact, make arthritis more manageable.

Yep - me too! My ortho/rheumatologist told me, 'if you don't start moving, soon you won't be able to move at all'!
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn and @JessicaMcB Thanks for the suggestions!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Amymoreorless - Ugh! That sucks. Hope the rest helps!
    @bossymom15 - Good for you for pushing him a bit...tough, but worth it! From what I can tell, movement helps all manners of autoimmune patients. (I am assuming Crohn's is, but I think that it hasn't been completely proven)