Anorexic at goal weight?

Options
Just wondering about this, so I figured I'd ask..

Has anyone told you that you'd look anorexic at your goal weight?

I'm 5' 7" and 234.8 right now.
I had a doctor (a pediatric endocrinologist) tell me in High School that if I got down to 150 lbs, I'd be in the hospital on a feeding tube.
And my little sister told me the other night that I'd look anorexic at 153 lbs.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but:
    1. You would NOT look like you had an eating problem at 5'7" and 153 pounds...that's totally healthy
    2. Please be careful throwing such a strong word (anorexic) around. It's a SERIOUS disease that shouldn't be taken lightly. There's a huge difference between being thin and being anorexic. One is a state of being, the other is an illness.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7'' and weigh right around 150...I think I look better at 145 and can certainly go as low as 140 without looking at all unhealthy. Every body is different, but I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think-- make sure that you feel healthy and not starved at whatever weight you wind up being.
  • BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, people tell me that too and I do agree with them somewhat. I think the "what you should weigh" chart is broken. I am 5'1" and I should weigh no more than 130-135. I think I would be OK at 135, but much lower than that I think would be too skinny. Of course, that has become the norm in society. I don't want to look like that and I also don't pay a lot of attention to what I "should" weigh. I will just keep doing what I know is right and when I get to a good, healthy weight, I will maintain.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I agree with dayzeerock.............
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    For some strange reason, they don't want you to lose weight. Why would someone say something like this?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal weight is 125. I don't start to look underweight until 115.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :huh: I'm three inches taller than you with a goal weight of 155. I didn't look "anorexic" last time I was there, nor was I on a feeding tube. :laugh:
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I think you should just keep going. You will be able to tell if you're looking too thin.
  • KnottyRae
    Options
    I guess, for me, saying someone would look "anorexic" at a certain weight is like calling something silly "retarded" or "gay". I think at 5'7 you'ld look healthy at 153 lbs but I don't know your bone structure I don't know how you carry weight, you could look just as healthy at 145 or 138, ya know? My best friend and I are the same height and she weighs ten lbs less then me however, I look thinner then her. I am much more muscular and have a larger bone structure then she does.

While I'm not saying it's the case here, some people say things like that because it's hard for them to see someone doing something that they can't do or find unachievable. Stay strong, do what's right for you.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I agree with dayzeerock.............

^^That!!
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but:
    1. You would NOT look like you had an eating problem at 5'7" and 153 pounds...that's totally healthy
    2. Please be careful throwing such a strong word (anorexic) around. It's a SERIOUS disease that shouldn't be taken lightly. There's a huge difference between being thin and being anorexic. One is a state of being, the other is an illness.

1. I know, that's why I set that as my goal weight. 118 lbs -159.6 lbs is "healthy" for my height.
    2. I apologize if I offended or upset anyone by my sister's and my choice of words... Many people assume if you drop a significant amount of weight, you're starving yourself.
    Personally, I am trying to take this journey one step at a time in the healthiest way I can.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    how ridiculous, I am 5'6" and used to weigh 112 lbs when I was in my late teens and early twenties and looked totally fine, I then put on a little bit of weight but I looked overweight at 140lbs so I have no idea what they are talking about.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    i'm 5'7" and I currently weigh about 144 (with a goal of around 135 depending on how i feel when i get there)....I don't start to look "too thin" until the 120's. And I don't have a tiny frame or anything, and I definitely am not shooting for a stick thin look either.

I would say part of it might be a little bit of jealousy....and part of it might be they are just bad visualizing what a certain weight looks like (your sister anyway, the doctor...i don't know if there's an excuse).
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thats ridiculous!

dont listen to them hun x
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Oh, and I am 5'9" and weigh 135lbs...at 128 I looked too thin, now I think I look just right. And, I can't believe that a doctor told you he would have you on a feeding tube at 150lbs?? That sounds uneducated and ill informed (MD's are only required to have very little education in nutrition). Looking too thin does not equal Anorexia. Go with what feels right to you, and stop when you feel like you have hit your own healthy goal!
  • cgipson001
    cgipson001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It would all depend on your bone structure and muscle mass. I have an athletic body type. I'm 5'5'' and I would look unhealthy going under 140 lbs.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I am 5 7 and 150 pounds.

I am fit as a fiddle, and do not look at all underweight, trust me. In fact, I'm still curvy/maintain my "voluptua".

Also, I am in strong agreement with the posters above who point out that anorexia is a serious disease, not a number on the scale. I'm sure your sister didn't mean anything by it, but maybe discussing how uncomfortable it made you and talking to her about it would be a good idea. Also, saying "well, let's wait until I get there and decide" is a good statement. (My mother expressed concerns when I started losing weight that were similar. Here's a quote "Just make sure you don't turn into an anorexic!" I had to have a talk with her that told her my weight loss was healthy.)

That ALL being said, remember not to be married to a number, but concentrate on what feels right for your body. You might find that your body wants to weigh a bit more than 150, or a bit less. Or bodies are terrible at math.:wink:
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but:

^^^

This....People throw this around way to often....and if someone is saying that to you....then they are quite ignorant in there rantings
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I really hate that! It's every bit as rude as saying "You look obese." Why do people feel it ok to "intervene" for one and not the other?

It also shows a certain amount of ignorance on the part of the person saying it. Anorexia is not a "look", it's a mental disorder. People may HAVE anorexica, or SUFFER FROM anorexia, but they don't "look anorexic". Not all anorexics are ultra thin, and all thin people don't automatically have anorexia.

People have (in the past) told me I "look anorexic". I was very thin, but never sick. I was fit and healthy, just skinny. (By the way, my teenage son is the same way, but no one ever asks HIM if he has an eating disorder. Why is that?) As I get closer to my goal weight I expect I'll start hearing it again. *sigh* I know what they mean when they say it, but it still irritates me. It irritates me even more when they say it like it some kind of compliment. Ugh.

And last but not least, 150 is NOT an unhealthy weight for most 5'7" women. Everyone is different and carries weight differently, of course, but 150 is within the normal weight range for a 5'7" woman.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 151 pounds. I want to lose 15 more pounds and a lot of people are negative about that. I've weighed between 115 and 135 and felt and looked fine at all ranges. I once weighed 100 pounds and THAT was too little. I have lots of fat still to lose, my belly and butt and triceps have plenty they could still lose. But the actual scale number really isnt' as important as how my body looks and feels. Is my waist still 31"? Does my belly pinch more than an inch? Then, I can afford to lose more weight.

Getting fit and trim isn't just about the scale number, it's about your shape. Whenever you get to the point that your body is the shape that you want it, then that's the right weight for you.