Anorexic at goal weight?

Options

Replies

• Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For some strange reason, they don't want you to lose weight. Why would someone say something like this?

I think jealousy might be part of my sister's issue.. she lost around 20 lbs earlier this year and has since gained it back due to stress eating and not hitting the gym the way she used to.

The doctor, I don't know why he said that. Especially to a 14 - 16 year old girl with enough other crap on her plate health-wise. To be honest, it kinda put a huge damper on my enthusiasm to drop the weight and get myself healthy.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I weigh 145lbs because at 153lbs I looked like I needed to lose weight.
    Just because I'm tall, I still have a small frame - my wrists are tiny and my hips are narrow.
    I'm not satisfied with being 145, I could still afford to lose another 10-15lbs and tone everything up some more.
    Sure, many women would be THRILLED to have my body right now as it is, but I'm not done yet... and that's when they start calling me "anorexic" to which I call them a "moron." Caring about your health and having pride in your appearence does not = an eatting/mental disorder or ill state of mind...it's actually quite the opposite ;)
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think it is a perfectly reasonable and healthy goal weight, but you'll be able to tell when you get there if it is right for you or not.

I think that a lot of people say things like this in an attempt to make people feel better... It's kind of as if by saying "you'd look anorexic if you lost that much" they are telling you you're not that overweight to start with. Does that make sense? I would like to lose another 2 and a half / 3 stone to get to a healthy, not uber-skinny goal weight. When I tell people this they usually say "no way do you need to lose that much - there'll be nothing left of you!" or something similar, when in reality I'd probably still be curvier than most of my friends and colleagues. I think they are trying to be nice! Just another possible take on it :)
  • Angelgrl86
    Options
    I think it is a perfectly reasonable and healthy goal weight, but you'll be able to tell when you get there if it is right for you or not.

I think that a lot of people say things like this in an attempt to make people feel better... It's kind of as if by saying "you'd look anorexic if you lost that much" they are telling you you're not that overweight to start with. Does that make sense? I would like to lose another 2 and a half / 3 stone to get to a healthy, not uber-skinny goal weight. When I tell people this they usually say "no way do you need to lose that much - there'll be nothing left of you!" or something similar, when in reality I'd probably still be curvier than most of my friends and colleagues. I think they are trying to be nice! Just another possible take on it :)

Thanks for that, Laura. The world needs more optimism and kindness in general. ^_^
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and weigh 150 and definitely dont look anorexic. In fact I still have another 20lbs to lose. Do what feels right for YOUR body.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Darling don't let them get to you!

I'm 5'9(only 2 in taller then you) and my profile pic right now is me at about 155.. I was 157 when I took that and I know for a fact that I don't look anorexic or like I need to be on a feeding tube.

I personally want to get down to 150 myself, so if you want a new positive friend, feel free to add me!
  • Angelgrl86
    Options
    Darling don't let them get to you!

I'm 5'9(only 2 in taller then you) and my profile pic right now is me at about 155.. I was 157 when I took that and I know for a fact that I don't look anorexic or like I need to be on a feeding tube.

I personally want to get down to 150 myself, so if you want a new positive friend, feel free to add me!

Thank you. You look great!
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Just wondering about this, so I figured I'd ask..

Has anyone told you that you'd look anorexic at your goal weight?

I'm 5' 7" and 234.8 right now.
    I had a doctor (a pediatric endocrinologist) tell me in High School that if I got down to 150 lbs, I'd be in the hospital on a feeding tube.
    And my little sister told me the other night that I'd look anorexic at 153 lbs.

thats a bit dramatic. i'm 5'6 at 150 lbs.. and i still have a good 10-15 i need to lose. i still have FLAB and lovehandles. i dont look skinny at all.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Bahahaaa!

This doesn't make sense.

If you're in a healthy weight range, you're "starving" yourself??

I'm 114lb s and 5'7''. I'd hate to think what your doctor and sister think of me!
  • Diamonds_R4_Ever
    Options
    [
    I agree with dayzeerock............. and DancingYogini!
  • Stasha83
    Stasha83 Posts: 39
    Options
    I really don't think so. I'm 5ft 9 and 138lbs and I don't look sick! Just ignore them and stick to your goals.
  • PersianFlower
    PersianFlower Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and back when I was a kick boxer I was 170 and very lean. I think it comes down to muscle composition. When I dropped to 155 i looked sick! Then again lots of girls my height look good at 155 and under.

My nutritionist felt 170 was a great weight for me, if you are considered talk to one and have them do an analysis. This will take into count all kinds of personal features (frame, nutritional needs, muscle mass, fitness goals) and help you visual the lifestyle you want at the weight you want.

I no longer kick box but my goal is still 170. When I reach it I doubt I will be the same build as I was back then so I could see myself wanting to drop more weight.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 153 lbs and I definitely do not look anorexic. I'm aiming for 140. I've been as low as 130 in my younger high school years and definitely did not look anorexic then either. I'm just going for a more muscular look now :) Pay attention to what your body looks like and what you want out of this weight loss! Not everyone fits into the chart of recommended weight for their height. Good luck to you!!
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but:
    1. You would NOT look like you had an eating problem at 5'7" and 153 pounds...that's totally healthy
    2. Please be careful throwing such a strong word (anorexic) around. It's a SERIOUS disease that shouldn't be taken lightly. There's a huge difference between being thin and being anorexic. One is a state of being, the other is an illness.

i agree with the statement above, however i do believe that the BMI indicator is just an INDICATOR of ideal weight & that it would also depend on the frame of the person...i am quite a large build (bones i mean) 5ft 1in and 224lbs atm, my BMI at my heaviest suggests i should be 133lbs, i personally would look ill/skin and bone if i weighed this much!!
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and back when I was a kick boxer I was 170 and very lean. I think it comes down to muscle composition. When I dropped to 155 i looked sick! Then again lots of girls my height look good at 155 and under.

My nutritionist felt 170 was a great weight for me, if you are considered talk to one and have them do an analysis. This will take into count all kinds of personal features (frame, nutritional needs, muscle mass, fitness goals) and help you visual the lifestyle you want at the weight you want.

I no longer kick box but my goal is still 170. When I reach it I doubt I will be the same build as I was back then so I could see myself wanting to drop more weight.

I agree, it is much more about how you look and feel then a number. When I was in college playing soccer and lifting really heavy weights, my weight stayed around 165 (I'm 5'8") and I looked great, but now after 3 babies and almost 10 years, even though I still run and lift weights, I look much better when my weight is between about 150-155. Pick a goal and see how you look and feel when you get there. You may find that you can go up a few pounds or you may need to go lower than you initially thought. Either way, as long as you are losing weight for you and keeping good health in mind, you'll be great. Good luck!!!!
  • kaitlyn12osu
    Options
    Anorexic is a strong word to use when someone does not have an eating disorder.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I dont think so....but your goal weight can change doesnt have to be set in stone. Thankgoodness I dont go to your DR!!
  • Angelgrl86
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I would like to point something out.

This was originally a question post. It was not my intention to start an argument over a simple word.
    Yes, I understand Anorexia is a serious disease and should be discussed seriously. I apologize again for throwing it around lightly and not treating it with the proper amount of respect.

The entire point of this post was to ask if anyone else had been in the position my sister put me in with that statement...

Has anyone else had a friend or family member tell them they would be too thin and not look healthy at their goal weight?
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    People are weird.....and stupid.

No, you wouldn't look even CLOSE to anorexic at 5'7 and 150 lbs. Sometimes I think people just say things like this to make you feel better about yourself....either that or they are just jealous of you. Either way, it does more harm then good imo.

Anyway, try not to fixate so much on a number.
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think people in general have a very skewed perception of what normal is because so many people are overweight and obese. If you are just "overweight" (v. "obese"), you are the new "normal." And apparently being a healthy weight--which 150 pounds absolutely is at 5'7', are you kidding me?--is the new "anorexic." :)