2018 Non Scale Commitments (New Years Resolutions)

So all of us have had quite a year. 2017 is almost over. At the end of the year around this time i like to think back and reflect on who i was this time last year and who i am now. Some people may find there isn't a whole lot different about them, some people may find like myself that a lot has changed. Good or bad.

I don't like the normal NYR's.. You know... Go to the gym more.. Lose X amount of weight.. Etc

I thought this year I would make some commitments that should be do-able regardless of the circumstances and changes through the year. Something i could honestly commit to. I would like to hear some of yours, so please share them!

1. On January 1 2018 I am going to start a thread, probably in the motivation board and each day at the end of the day i am going to post 1 thing I am thankful for or see as positive even if i am having a cluster *kitten* of a day for the entire year.

2. I am going to make it more of a habit of telling my loved ones that I love them. I feel like time just seems to fly by and years pass sometimes before i can see some of my family. Since tomorrow is never promised I should make use of the days i am given.

3. I am going to work on forgiveness. I spend a lot of time being upset and jealous and resentful that the life I have is not the same as others. I am allowing people to rob me of my own joy by comparing and wanting what they have. I need to forgive myself for my past transgressions and I also need to learn that my life isn't terrible i am just making it look that way by only focusing on what i don't have. I can't love the life i have if im always finding flaws in it.

Anyway.. those are my top three, with these i am hoping that with more positive thoughts comes less stress and weight on my mind and more room to focus on being where i was last year physically.

Who wants to share next?

Replies

• ZigZag_27
    ZigZag_27 Posts: 6 Member
    1. I'm going to complete the 2 mile swimming race in Lake Superior that I signed up for next summer and not have to be pulled from the water. This really should be doable as I've been able to swim over 1.5 miles already.

2. I'm going to be more loving and forgiving towards myself. I have a tendency to be hard on myself and my body and I really want to appreciate myself and love my body more of time.

3. I want to make more home cooked food. I enjoy cooking and already cook a decent amount of time (and there is nothing inherently wrong with eating out or premade food), but I personally enjoy my food more and it often saves a bit on money and calories so I would like to make a bit more of an effort on this front.

Hopefully 2018 will be a great year for us all!!
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    God that sucks, did you make your bus? I hope things go well with your dad.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Yep I did. With 4 min to spare.
    Incredibly frustrating tho.. considering how much I sacrificed to go this year like not having a job and leaving myself so short on money I can't buy food my meds or a bus pass in January.. missing that bus would of been like a huge end of this year slap in the face. Lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Great idea, and great goals. Still thinking about mine (so these aren't as deep), but one is going to be to get rid of clutter, things I have that I don't really use/love. Also do daily the little daily things that I tend to procrastinate and become big things (not getting into the details as some of this is work-related). Take a real vacation (I meant to this year and never did, so I am going to make concrete plans and schedule it in at the beginning of the year).
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    I love this!

I've had some health issues this past year and I'm mostly over the hump now. I've started already but making sure I am taking care of myself. Mentally and physically.

I want to live in the present more. I'm a planner and sometimes I find that I spend so much time thinking about what's next that I don't enjoy what is right in front of me.

Never stop learning! I want to go to the library more and learn about different things that interest me. Bonus: my 4 year old loves books so she will benefit as much, if not more, that I will.

Shoot, I need to write these down somewhere so that I see them daily lol.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Less tv for sure. Stop what I’m doing and see my kids when they are talking to me instead of half listening.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Meal planning and home cooking. It's time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Love your goals, Kriss.

My 2018 fitness goal: To run a 50 km run. Any other running achievements will be cherries on top.

My 2018 learning goal: To complete iPhone Photo Academy, a photography course I've started recently. This will help me with my recent achievement of being accepted to sell my photography at a local gallery.

My 2018 personal goal: To stay as happy as I am.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    My winter 2018 fitness goal: walk every non-pouring rain day at lunchtime. Two days a week I have meetings at 2 PM and have a bad habit of procrastinating taking lunch until there's not enough time to go for a walk so I'm going to work hard on that. If I don't exercise at lunch I have much less energy in the afternoon and throughout the evening.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Orphia wrote: »
    Love your goals, Kriss.

My 2018 fitness goal: To run a 50 km run. Any other running achievements will be cherries on top.

My 2018 learning goal: To complete iPhone Photo Academy, a photography course I've started recently. This will help me with my recent achievement of being accepted to sell my photography at a local gallery.

My 2018 personal goal: To stay as happy as I am.

Good luck in your photography class! I'm sure you will do awesome
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My winter 2018 fitness goal: walk every non-pouring rain day at lunchtime. Two days a week I have meetings at 2 PM and have a bad habit of procrastinating taking lunch until there's not enough time to go for a walk so I'm going to work hard on that. If I don't exercise at lunch I have much less energy in the afternoon and throughout the evening.

Any non fitness commitments this year? :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Nice ones guys :)

I dumped my boyfriend today so I'm adding to my commitments list today.

4) I am putting my own interests first. I will value being single and by myself now and focusing on my own personal well being. I refuse to be responsible for someone else's happiness at the cost of my own happiness.

I'm sorry, Kriss. I really really hope 2018 is the complete opposite of 2017 for you.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2017
    eyyyyy krissy mine are all internal me focused and i happen to always be single. twins n *kitten*. Lets do this we got this :p

Mines focused on minimizing things i dont need and maximizing experiences. I want to say no to stuff i dont need, And yes to things i have no real reason not to do. Focus on keeping my house a calm clean space (and get rid of all the stuff i hoard >.> ) and sort of feel out the scary outer world and stuff. Get some hobbies. Make some friends. Focus on health and nutrition vs just weight loss. Its my year :D

edit: i made a full google doc of it earlier it seems todays the day to think of this stuff hah. I have year goals and month goals seperated into weeks. I have all year to focus on me why rush. January im having a 2 week challenge of strictly clean (dont gimme the whole what is clean thing we all know what i mean :D ) for the first 2 weeks of the year. possibly the full month who knows, And 4 parts of sorting and cleaning my house seperated into weekly goals.

Gona be a good month focused on relaxing myself and my space and sort of resetting in health mode after christmas :D
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Yeah I'm with putting my interests first. I'm over and done with putting my goals on the back burner for everyone else's interests. Time to teach independence to reach independence.

Hugs to you Kris. Wishing you, and everyone else, much peace, contentment, and light.