Keto help

Hi - I was hoping to try keto come the new year. I read all about it, but am unsure of how much (fats, carbs, and proteins) I should be having daily. Any help?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Depends on your goals, but less than 50g of carbs, 1.5 -2.2g/kg of weight in protein and the rest fat. For many that is around 5 to 10% carbs, 20 to 30% protein and the rest fat. Also, 3000 to 5000mg of sodium.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Why? What are you hoping to accomplish? What are your goals?
  • auzy8807
    auzy8807 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a friend that did it and she lost a lot of weight. I have tried a whole bunch of diets, and she recommended it. I don’t plan to be on it forever, just long enough to lose weight and get back to a healthy life. I’d like to lose 50-60 pounds.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Ann262 wrote: »
    I think that's a dangerous route to take if for no other reason is that it isn't sustainable. I like this diet and it is free.https://www.flickr.com/photos/usdagov/37076626350/sizes/l

why is it dangerous? its just another way of eating. and why is it not sustainable? many people do keto and have no issues with it and do it long term. I cant do it because for ME its not sustainable and I cant do the high fiat due to a health issues.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    auzy8807 wrote: »
    I have a friend that did it and she lost a lot of weight. I have tried a whole bunch of diets, and she recommended it. I don’t plan to be on it forever, just long enough to lose weight and get back to a healthy life. I’d like to lose 50-60 pounds.

thing with keto its just a way of eating. its not a magical way to lose weight. you still have to be in a deficit of calories no matter how you eat. she may have lost a lot of weight but that is due to the calorie deficit. if you dont plan on being on it forever,what are you going to do to maintain your weight once you lose it? weight loss and keeping it off is a lifestyle. keto is not a special way to lose weight. you can lose weight eating what you want just less of it.
  • psuLemon

So recognize that one's success doesn't mean you will be successful. So it comes down to what will you find sustainable? Are you satiated by fat? Are you able to eliminate all carbs? What is your transition plan going to be? Have you tried to lower carbs first to see how you respond?

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited December 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »

So recognize that one's success doesn't mean you will be successful. So it comes down to what will you find sustainable? Are you satiated by fat? Are you able to eliminate all carbs? What is your transition plan going to be? Have you tried to lower carbs first to see how you respond?

All of the above. In addition, I'd ask you to consider that you, as you say, "tried a whole bunch of diets", and that you don't plan to be on it forever. The faulty logic inherent in that approach is that you do a "diet" to lose, then go back to your normal eating habits and gain it back.

Why not try eating the same things you are eating now but logging, measuring and controlling intake to be in calorie deficit? You will lose the weight and develop eating habits that will help you to maintain a healthy weight.
  • psuLemon
    I think that's a dangerous route to take if for no other reason is that it isn't sustainable. I like this diet and it is free.https://www.flickr.com/photos/usdagov/37076626350/sizes/l

why is it dangerous? its just another way of eating. and why is it not sustainable? many people do keto and have no issues with it and do it long term. I cant do it because for ME its not sustainable and I cant do the high fiat due to a health issues.

If a diet is a healthful lifestyle, ANYONE should be able to follow it..some people may have to modify for specific dietary restrictions...such as a person with celiac's, diabetes, or allergies. Just the fast that you say you can't go on it is a red flag. You KNOW about a health issue you have that makes this diet wrong for you. How may people might try it who have a health issue that would make this bad but don't know it?

Keto is not sustainable because it is so restrictive, people fall off then have a hard time getting back to it. For it to work, one has to keep their body in that state of ketosis which is hard because the carb needs change. It is so low in carbs, the fiber intake is way too low causing constipation. It also causes bad breath. I have not known one person who has gone on it and stayed with it long term.

I had a friend following it and she had to take metamucil every day......

Its no less sustainable than any other diet out there. So its a poor argument. Fiber intake doesnt have to be too low, in fact, your carbs should from low sugar fruits and veggies. Some my choose to have lower fiber, but that can happen with all diets. Ultimately, there are people who have good diets and poor diets.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

If a diet is a healthful lifestyle, ANYONE should be able to follow it..some people may have to modify for specific dietary restrictions...such as a person with celiac's, diabetes, or allergies. Just the fast that you say you can't go on it is a red flag. You KNOW about a health issue you have that makes this diet wrong for you. How may people might try it who have a health issue that would make this bad but don't know it?

Keto is not sustainable because it is so restrictive, people fall off then have a hard time getting back to it. For it to work, one has to keep their body in that state of ketosis which is hard because the carb needs change. It is so low in carbs, the fiber intake is way too low causing constipation. It also causes bad breath. I have not known one person who has gone on it and stayed with it long term.

I had a friend following it and she had to take metamucil every day......

but many find it sustainable and not restrictive. There are many here who have been doing keto for years. its also not hard to keep your body in ketosis if you keep your carbs down where they should be. keto is also good for many type 2 diabetics as well. for me its a red flag that I cannot go on it. but its not a red flag for others. and my diet may not work for others who have the same issue I have. its been proven that keto which was originally used to help with people that have epilepsy,that it also works for type 2,PCOS,insulin resistance and a few other issues.

not everyone gets constipated. when I did try it before I knew of my health issue I was one who got the bad breath (which does not occur in everyone) and I didnt get constipated but I did become severely fatigued(not keto flu) and it left me severely fatigued the almost 2 months I was on it. mine was due yo too much fat and my body has to work harder to process fats and cholesterol because it doesnt process it efficiently. so for me keto is dangerous. But for others its a health diet and is NOT dangerous. just because everyone cannot follow a keto diet doesnt make it any less healthful.same with a high carb diet,not everyone can follow that but it doesnt make it unhealthy.

I get plenty of fiber and sometimes constipation still happens. everyone is different and different diets work for different people. doesnt make them unhealthy.an unhealthy diet to me is one with not enough calories and you arent getting adequate nutrition.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Try the Low Carber Daily and Keto MFP groups. There are many helpful ideas and links, and many mewbies and veterans (over 1-2+ years keto) who could help with questions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    Hi - I was hoping to try keto come the new year. I read all about it, but am unsure of how much (fats, carbs, and proteins) I should be having daily. Any help?

As others said, carbs are typically under 20-50g a day. Some people (metabolically healthy, active people) can go higher, especially is carbs are timed around exercise. Others go to almost zero carb if they find their health improves at a very low carb level. Carbs are usually 0-10%.

Protein is usually moderate - I think 20-25% is the norm but I've seen as low as 15% and as high as 40%.

Fat fills in the rest. 60-80% fat is pretty common.

Keto is a healthy life. Most who stick with keto do so because it improved their health so much.

If keto is not something you would consider a permanent change, you may want to skip it. Those who go back to their previous way of eating will usually regain their weight.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.... but do check out the groups mentioned if you still want to go LCHF.
  • churchgran
    churchgran Posts: 28 Member
    I have been doing low carb 20-30 carbs a day and have lost 28# since July. It is doable and I plan to stay low carb from now on. The foods at satisfying but I have some difficulty now getting in all my protein and "going". Otherwise I have had no cheats except I dipped a low carb meatball in homemade honey mustard yesterday without even realizing it till I tasted it but I chose to chew and swallow it anyway. I love that my sugar addiction and cravings are gone. I am not really a bread eater so that also makes it easier. I am following post by people who are still on low carb(30-100) over 10 years and maintain by adding and subtracting carbs as needed. Just my thoughts and hope it works in my life long term.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

So basically what you’re saying is you have a lack of resolve and capacity to actually see things through so now you’re looking to try the next new magic diet. You’re not looking into the future at all, just the here and now.

Why not choose something sustainable? A flexible eating habit that allows room for error and success. You eat like this, starve yourself, lose all of that weight. What then? Give it 3 months, you’ll be well on your way to gaining all of that weight back.

This will sound harsh, but it’s better to tell it to you straight rather than you see some mild results whilst telling everyody how amazing it is, such as your friend. Only to find yourself a year down the line having gained all that weight back.

This:
    250-500 caloric daily deficit until desired weight is achieved. Promptly switch to eating at maintenance calories. Continue eating at that until a new goal arises.