Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Too Much Carbs And Sugars Stunt Optimal Growth/Height Potential For Children

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OuchArtist wrote: »
    This article was meant as a food for thought, please don't get defensive.. if there was studies to prove it or not.. it was just to get some thought on the subject from each other.
    I hope this exact idea will be adopted into a real study to see if insulin during early years can limit height full potential or not if done on twins maybe. xD

You want to study this on human twins?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Based on OPs other hypotheses, I tend to concur...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    And I hit my full height at thirteen, so a bit too late for hypothesis-testing on this one.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You do know about insulin is crucial to getting energy into the cells to grow right? And that the body modulates both insulin and growth hormone release? And insulin is still around when you are not eating lots of carbs, yes? And what is "too much", according to who? You are thinking, but the idea isn't well thought out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there are any studies out there addressing this exact thing, but it's well known that when insulin is present in the body, it acts as an anti-HGH (growth hormone), the crucial hormone critical for growth of children especially in their puberty years.

What is your source that claims insulin inhibits growth hormone?

Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas to help regulate blood sugar. It is necessary for proper body function. Obviously it does not inhibit growth to have insulin present in your body or none of us would grow.
    https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-1-diabetes/what-insulin

Human growth hormone is secreted by the pituitary gland. Growth hormone deficiency "results primarily from damage to the hypothalamus or to the pituitary gland during fetal development (congenital GH deficiency) or following birth (acquired GH deficiency). GH deficiency may also be caused by mutations in genes that regulate its synthesis and secretion" from https://www.britannica.com/science/growth-hormone

Insulin and growth hormone play antagonist roles against one another. When one is elevated, the other will be low, period.
    You have to read some more studies on the subject.

Looks like you might be reading this: http://www.eattoperform.com/2013/03/16/human-growth-hormone-and-insulin-are-friends/

"...insulin and growth hormone play antagonist roles against one another. When one is elevated, the other will be low."

It's not about child growth, and the idea (not in the article) that you need to IF (or avoid carbs) to grow properly seems pretty far-fetched, at best. Kids seem to grow taller in situations where they have adequate calories and more protein, and for kids who need more calories for their size than adults IFing would not seem to promote eating sufficient calories for more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This is the Canadian policies on ethical research involving human subjects:

http://www.pre.ethics.gc.ca/eng/policy-politique/initiatives/tcps2-eptc2/Default/

I'm not sure if you're in Canada, but if not, I would expect similar type policies in place wherever you are.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    a coworker of mine lost 70lbs in 2017 by eating 5-6 small meals a day. bottom line - calorie deficit! eat 1 meal, eat 3, eat 6. if you take in less calories than your body uses, you will lose.

Are you on the right post?

the OP stated "It is becoming clear that we are meant to eat one meal a day, and people around the world are experiencing the best health benefits eating just one meal a day, just like our ancestors used to."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks for reminding me of that.

What is the evidence that "our ancestors" ate just one meal a day?

At most, our ancestors ate according to MANY different patterns, given how many ancestors we had. What period are we supposedly focused on, and why?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Anyone noticing the irony in the fact that body builders will inject insulin to gain muscle?

No, no - see, it must be that they're injecting the insulin to stunt their growth, to keep them from getting too hyooge. From all the abundant nutrients. Yeah, that's it.

OTOH, I also notice the irony in the fact that bodybuilders often eat 6 or more meals per day. Whelp....
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had a severe eating disorder for years as a child/teen. She was told by her doctor that she likely did not reach her full height potential (she's 5'5; both parents are 6'+) due to severe calorie restriction and malnutrition.

I'm not sure that too much candy is going to impede your growth; malnutrition will impede your growth. Maybe this is what OP was getting at...