Keto Diet

Options
Is there anyone on here that follows the Keto diet? We are trying but it is getting harder for me now that we are in week 3. Would love to hear what others think.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If it's getting harder, and not easier, maybe it just isn't for you.
  • alvarezadriana968
    alvarezadriana968 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    angeldavis wrote: »
    Is there anyone on here that follows the Keto diet? We are trying but it is getting harder for me now that we are in week 3. Would love to hear what others think.

I tried it and gained instead of losing. My son's friend though has lost 90lbs
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I tried it and gained instead of losing. My son's friend though has lost 90lbs

That’s because you were in a surplus. Not a deficit. It’s simple as that.

First of all why are you going for keto?

• karl317
    karl317 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Keto worked well for me. 130lb lost and I've kept it off 2 years so far. But it's not for everyone,and it's certainly not the cheapest diet to stick with.

Some people just can't ditch the carbs. For me, keto was the only way I could eat and not feel hungry constantly. Once I eat a keto meal, my hunger levels plummet after about half an hour. When I eat carbs, it's like that "hungry" light never shuts off no matter how much I eat. But that's me.

My wife can eat like a normal person and feel satisfied after a sensible meal. It's almost grounds for divorce =)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've done it for most of the past couple of years. It works well for me - improved health and easier weight control.

What is getting harder for you? Electrolyte imbalance or food boredom or something else?
  • jupiter6270
    jupiter6270 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been living keto for over a year. I love it. I used to hardcore keto, but have since become too relaxed. I've gained back 10 pounds, so I'm back on myfitnesspal to help track.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out on keto (today would be day 4) as I'm a carbaholic. Keto is tough but it's the only diet change I've ever made that keeps me satisfied after meals and still eat at a deficit. Other diets left me feeling hungry or annoyed me because I couldn't eat high fatty foods either. It helps because I love me some veggies and meat but I'm not a huge fruit fan.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Related groups:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group -active with many, many keto-folk and other LC-plans
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto -Just Keto and nothing but the Keto.
  • angeldavis
    angeldavis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've done it for most of the past couple of years. It works well for me - improved health and easier weight control.

What is getting harder for you? Electrolyte imbalance or food boredom or something else?

• angeldavis
    angeldavis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am trying it because carbs make me so tired and it causes me to gain weight fast, I have a really slow Metabolism and I find giving up the carbs really isn’t the problem, I am just getting bored with the Keto food choices. Mainly the veggies. I never realized how many carbs are in EVERYTHING you eat. It is crazy. I have dropped 12lbs in three weeks so I know it works, but dang I sure miss all the other foods. Any tips or good ideas for food?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am trying it because carbs make me so tired and it causes me to gain weight fast, I have a really slow Metabolism and I find giving up the carbs really isn’t the problem, I am just getting bored with the Keto food choices. Mainly the veggies. I never realized how many carbs are in EVERYTHING you eat. It is crazy. I have dropped 12lbs in three weeks so I know it works, but dang I sure miss all the other foods. Any tips or good ideas for food?

Congratulations! You're doing great so far. :)

Sometimes just altering your food a bit is enough to get rid of boredom - eating (sort of) like you did before. If you like burgers, have one without the bun. Make a fathead pizza if you miss pizza. Spaghetti squash is a pretty good stand in for noodles; so are zoodles. Some say cauliflower is a good stand in for rice or mashed potatoes.

You do not like lower carb veggies? You could always eat some higher carb veggies - just less of it. You can also skip many veggies. If you are eating high quality meats, eggs and seafood, you do not actually need to consume veggies - people live quite healthfully on no veggies, or almost no veggies.

If you want more veggies, you can probably add in more lower carb veggies unless you are already at 50g of a carbs a day. Nuts are my favourite carb source, and many are very low in carbs.

Try the Low carber Daily MFP group linked above too. They usually have some active recipe links and their launch pad sticky is extremely well done!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling restricted on vegetables, remember you can focus on net carbs (carbs minus fiber), at least if you are using information from the US or Canada where fiber is included in the carb count.