When to purge older larger size clothes??

Options

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them now.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Size 16 to a 0? @apullum, what are your stats?

4' 11.75", started at 215 lb. and am maintaining at 113-117 lb.

Ah. I'm 5'5", don't think that would work for me even though I'm nearly the same weight (215) right now.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Size 16 to a 0? @apullum, what are your stats?

4' 11.75", started at 215 lb. and am maintaining at 113-117 lb.

Ah. I'm 5'5", don't think that would work for me even though I'm nearly the same weight (215) right now.

Yeah, being VERY short makes a difference size-wise. I’m in the middle of the “ideal” BMI range for my height and that’s just the size I wound up wearing. Clothes shopping is hard when you’re short, which is probably why I don’t enjoy it.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I didn't go shopping for new clothes until I reached my goal weight and then I donated my baggy clothes to charity :)
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get rid of them the second they're too big or if I have a smaller size of the same item that fits. So for example I get rid of the 14 jeans as soon as the 12s fit. I find this helps keep me on track as I can't afford to rebuy clothes if I get bigger. Fortunately I don't need to wear anything in particular right now so I can live in yoga pants which are about the only pants I can afford lol. I'm saving money for the new wardrobe I'll need when I get to my goal.

I do the same. It took a long time for me to believe that what I put in my mouth translates to my weight. Being aware of how my clothes fit reinforces this belief. As soon as my pants get that baggy crotch feeling, they're either in the trash or in the Goodwill box.

I scour nearby Goodwills for my favorite jeans, keeping a stash of one size smaller. Right now, 12's are lie-on-the-bed-to-zip-up too tight so I wear them with size XL tops to cover the resulting muffin tops. I expect this cycle to repeat every few months for the next year until I'm at my goal weight.

Fortunately my local Goodwills price jeans at $3.99 with frequent half-off sales. I can get 3 pairs of designer jeans and a few tops for under $20.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    I'm learning to sew so I can resize some of my old clothes and the rest I will probably donate.

I have a sewing workshop tomorrow and am taking a pair of pants I like that I've "un-grown!" Super excited and a little nervous.
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I sold some of my old better quality clothes to buy some new sized clothes.( apart from 1 pair of jeans which will be used for the inevitable photo at the end of my journey where i can stand in one leg of my old jeans!!)- i have dropped 4 waist sizes in 6 months, so the clothes i am reselling are virtually new. i am of the mind set that i will never again be the size that i was!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    donnalhoff wrote: »
    I have drawers full of clothing for 3 sizes up and am afraid to let them go! Started weight loss journey 13 months ago and in maintenance since April. I don't need the space back but wonder if keeping the clothes is like admitting I will be back there in larger sizes some day! When is it time to let go?

Get rid of them now, there's no going back :smile: I sold a lot of mine on ebay, never regretted it and now have a wonderful new wardrobe of clothes which I keep adding to. I was sad when some of my loveliest dresses had to go but I prefer the more svelte me :smiley:

ps I had a few altered but they never looked the same, but it could be an option.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Personally.. i wouldn't throw away anything until you've been in maintenance a few years... I threw away all my stuff and put weight back on.. lol mind you a lot of my clothes still seem to fit for now.. but.. i thought i was gonna be one of those people who would have no problems keeping it off.. and not be a statistic.. i was wrong.
  • emilytrettel1
    emilytrettel1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took mine to a clothing resale place (I'm a bit of a clothes horse and had plenty of "gently used" stuff lol) and used the store credit to buy a few things that fit. The "exchange" felt cathartic. Good luck!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    donnalhoff wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback. It is hard letting go of clothes--not entirely sure why--I have no problem purging my house of things I don't use otherwise. Hopefully someone else will get some use out of them! I am packing them up tomorrow and dropping them at Salvation Army. This will feel so good when I am done I am sure.

Maybe you felt like keeping them in the same way that I kept all my skinny clothes when I grew too fat for them. There was that hope that you'd still find them useful again if you change weight.

Maybe you still think old clothes will be useful, but haven't quite got to the point of cognitive assonance where the rest of that reasoning isn't healthy (if you change, but to be heavier).

Don't worry, they will still be useful to someone else.