“Make sure you eat a WHOLE avocado then your body will start burning fat!” and other silly things!

Options

Replies

• aaiiee
    aaiiee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Y'all ever heard of the Apple only diet? Eat as many apples as you want & you'll lose weight.

Ugh that also reminds me of the master cleanse. *shudders*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Related to that, the idea that it's NOT digesting food (or not "processing" food properly) that causes you to gain weight seems to be really common.

And another one from the '80s is that my friend's mom insisted that we should not eat cheese (no cheese at all!) because it caused fat gain that went right to the butt (and this was of course very bad, because '80s).
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the enemy
    There's no such thing as good fat and bad fat, all fat is bad
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    aaiiee wrote: »
    Y'all ever heard of the Apple only diet? Eat as many apples as you want & you'll lose weight.

Ugh that also reminds me of the master cleanse. *shudders*

Someone in my office is on the apple diet. She also puts these special drops on her tongue and holds it there for a specific period of time. I think they're some kind of combination of vitamins and they're supposed to help with the weight loss.

She literally brings in a whole bag of apples and eats them all day. When I asked her if all those apples upset her stomach she said yes, but she goes to the bathroom and then all the weight just starts dropping off.

Ummmmm..................
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Putting oil and butter in your coffee to lose weight. Um why not just create a calorie deficit?

I also have a friend who is obsessed with south beach. the initial water loss thrills her and eventually she stalls and falls off, gaining more weight with each attempt.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Related to that, the idea that it's NOT digesting food (or not "processing" food properly) that causes you to gain weight seems to be really common.

And another one from the '80s is that my friend's mom insisted that we should not eat cheese (no cheese at all!) because it caused fat gain that went right to the butt (and this was of course very bad, because '80s).

What, you don't have little cheeseburger bits in your hips?
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Putting oil and butter in your coffee to lose weight. Um why not just create a calorie deficit?

That's funny. When hiking the Appalachian Trail, we used to put butter in our coffee to give us more energy to carry our 60 pound packs.

The diet woo that most puzzled me was that you are supposed to drink warm water with half a lemon squeezed in it before eating anything in the morning. It was supposed to aid digestion and flush out toxins. I'm pretty sure it just provides the average amount of hydration and the lemon makes it taste better.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Carrots and banana are fattening! All fruit has too much sugar. Calories don't matter! Diet doesn't matter, you just need to exercise more

All things said by family members.

Enjoying my banana and blueberries now.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    The worst are people who publish books, or have YouTube channels, or consider themselves knowledgeable so people actually believe them. A well known you tuber with a book who is supposed to be a nutritionist said "you shouldn't eat late at night as your body doesn't digest the food and it sits in your stomach rotting" like your digestion knows what time of day it is.

As an older consumer of these things, I am able to see around the nonsense, but it is so prevalent and a lot of these "fitness models" do look great so you can see why people would buy into their routines. There was a lot of "warm lemon water as soon as I get out of bed" this year, which sounds like it would taste like vomit.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if she ate a potato cold it wouldn't count because your body can't digest cold potatoes.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The temperature difference must interrupt the laws of thermodynamics and your stomach acid?