“Make sure you eat a WHOLE avocado then your body will start burning fat!” and other silly things!

Options

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I was once told (and I believed it. SIGH) that taking cold showers makes you burn a lot of calories. I did that for like a week before deciding I'd rather stay fat.

hahahahahahahahaha this is awesome
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if she ate a potato cold it wouldn't count because your body can't digest cold potatoes.

I fervently wish this were true. I love cold potatoes. When I was still running, I used to keep a bowl of small potatoes in the fridge that I had boiled. I ate them as snacks. I adore them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ah, back to the first post... this isn't a fun post I'm about to make, just a recommendation: buy the avocados that come packaged in the string bags. They're usually smaller. Most of them clock in around 100-110 grams.

I'm a vegetarian who tries to keep my fat to around 50-60 grams a day and I get my protein mostly from dairy, but I want to keep my saturated fat low for medical reasons, so I need to get my fat from other places. I eat an avocado every day for one of my sources of healthy fat.

I wish I could just magically eat whatever I wanted after that and watch the rest of my vanity weight drop off!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    There is a grain, a tiny grain, of something valid here. Chilling starches (potatoes, pasta) does appear to *somewhat* reduce the number of calories available to your body because a portion of the starch is converted to "resistant starch." It goes to the large intestine and acts more like fiber there (passing through your body). But you can get the same impact from cooking the potato, chilling it, and then reheating it. And it's not going to make the potato calorie-free.

that might work, but after chewing up potato, pasta or any food and swallowing it, it will warm to body temp in your stomach before it ever makes it to your intestines.
    tess5036 wrote: »
    Hmmmm...
    -Don't drink a cold drink with food, it will solidify fat and your body will absorb more of it

like above, anything in your stomach will warm up. so funny!

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Eating ice boosts your metabolism. ..

It's from shivering.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There is a grain, a tiny grain, of something valid here. Chilling starches (potatoes, pasta) does appear to *somewhat* reduce the number of calories available to your body because a portion of the starch is converted to "resistant starch." It goes to the large intestine and acts more like fiber there (passing through your body). But you can get the same impact from cooking the potato, chilling it, and then reheating it. And it's not going to make the potato calorie-free.

that might work, but after chewing up potato, pasta or any food and swallowing it, it will warm to body temp in your stomach before it ever makes it to your intestines.
    Hmmmm...
    -Don't drink a cold drink with food, it will solidify fat and your body will absorb more of it

The resistant starch is known to happen with pasta and rice. I don't recall seeing evidence that it happened with potatoes. The process is to cook it then refrigerate it for 12 hours to accomplish the conversion. Eating and thus warming it to body temp does not un-convert the resistance.
    The bacteria in the large intestine digest and consume the resistant starches which you failed to digest.

I'm not informed of how bacteria respond to having a big old meal of resistant starch.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Super foods don't contribute to weight gain.
    You can't be obese if you eat clean.
    Low GI foods don't contribute to weight gain.
    Eat what you want, exercise burns it off.
    It's impossible to lose weight past a certain age.
    Every woman must eat 1200 calories only forever. My friend threw a Fitbit at me and yelled that it was wrong because it told her she needed to eat 1500 calories to lose weight.

Just heard this one: when you've been overweight too long your fat deposits harden and won't come off so it becomes impossible to lose weight
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options

Hmmmm...

The resistant starch is known to happen with pasta and rice. I don't recall seeing evidence that it happened with potatoes. The process is to cook it then refrigerate it for 12 hours to accomplish the conversion. Eating and thus warming it to body temp does not un-convert the resistance.
    The bacteria in the large intestine digest and consume the resistant starches which you failed to digest.

I'm not informed of how bacteria respond to having a big old meal of resistant starch.

They are happy bacteria. And if this is a dramatic change in your eating habits, you might have too few bacteria each eating too much delicious bacteria food, such that they are overfed and start micro-tooting, thus giving you more-than-usual intestinal gas. Seriously.
  • Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That if you eat standing up it makes you fat, if you eat sitting down you will lose weight
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hmmmm...

The resistant starch is known to happen with pasta and rice. I don't recall seeing evidence that it happened with potatoes.

It does. Here's one discussion, but there are lots: https://www.nature.com/articles/1602238

This also supports the idea that eating potatoes cold with a vinegar-based dressing (i.e., German potato salad, yum!) probably is better if you have insulin issues than many other ways of consuming potatoes.

That said, I've always chilled cooked potatoes and rice often, since I tend to make enough for leftovers. For the record, it did not prevent me from getting fat. So I'm one who won't be pre-chilling all my starches or thinking "yay, pre-chilled potatoes, I can go wild and eat more." If it's a calorie bonus, great.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise beyond the "fat burning" zone, or you won't lose weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If you eat any sweets at all, such as a piece of pie, your body will hold on to all of the calories you eat until you eat more pie so you're better off just never eating sweets.

Fruit doesn't count as sugar at all, and calories in fruit don't count, so you can eat fruit in unlimited amounts 24/7 no matter what else you eat, and you will lose weight.

My mom thinks back to a time in her life when she lost weight (we're talking 5-7 lb) and says things like "I was eating a lot of boiled eggs and ham, so I'm going to do a boiled eggs and ham diet now".