January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I was a runner when I was much much younger and now I’m trying to get myself back into a healthier lifestyle. I want to start running but getting outside to do so is hard between a two working parent household and four kids. I’m doing all my running on an elliptical and I’m hoping this group will motivate me to do more and push myself. I’m going to try for 80 miles for the month.

Welcome to the group. There's quite a few running parents in this group, we're all here to help each other out.
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I'd like to join in 2018. I tried this a few years back when I was just beginning to run and was quickly overwhelmed by the number of posts. I think I'm more prepared now to be an active member.

I'm a slow runner and run 3 times a week. I haven't been in any offical races. My runs consist of a warm up walk, my run and a cool down walk. I will record all mileage for walking and running, if that's okay. (Let me know if it's not. It only changes my monthly goal).

For logging running/walking, my goal would be 100K a month. If only the running, probably around 80K, I'm guessing.

Like @7lenny7 said, the challenge is a personal challenge. You set the goal you want, and we all support you in going for it. We have people of all distances and abilities, from people just starting C25K all the way to future super stars like @JessicaMcB
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Since this is a new year I'll post my year goal. For 2018 I hope to run 1500 miles. That was my goal for 2017 but I'll fall well short of that with just over 1200 miles. I will, however, beat my 2016 total of 1194 miles.

You got this. I see it being a good year for you.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    January Goal - Recover from ITBS and continue strengthening my glutes.
    Target distance - 125 Miles

January Races:
    Securian Winter 10K - St. Paul, MN - I wanted to enter the HM but this IT band of mine is not cooperating. I think I can do the 10K though, and should easily PR since I haven't run a paved 10K in well over 2 years.

I have the same diagnosis. Although I wasn't smart enough to discern that the mild knee pain I has was ITBS. I just figured it was mechanics and would work out after the first surgery.

Do you have a glute strength regiment you can point me to or share?

I have a post op PT schedule I look to start. Since I gave up on running/biking, I think I can actually tolerate some exercises. Like single leg balance on the foam pad. Triangles. Donkey kicks. Planks.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 It's been a while since I've read your opening post love it.

I'm in for 110 miles this month. Have my half in April so need to start training and adding longer runs.

I love reading it, it's so encouraging. Do you have a time goal for the half?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    First timer to this challenge. Trying to get back into an exercise routine.

January Goal: 50 mile walk/run

exercise.png

Welcome. As I tell the first timers. We have a lot of very experienced runners here. Feel free to ask ANY questions you may have. They will answer.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    @paytraB the running challenge is a personal challenge and YOU get to define how you total your distance. You most certainly can include your warm up and cool down, any walking, running or crawling.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and encourage/be encouraged by everyone's various goals.

My goal will be to log 100K a month.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm already 2 pages behind!! My goal for this month is to run more consistently...I'm going to aim for 4 running/elliptical days a week minimum at around 20-45 minutes, and maybe one-two full body workout a week. I'll figure out distance later :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in to the conversation this month, too. Have been running almost 2 years, not beating any records - but my own!!! - and am really enjoying it. My main goal for January is to get to the starting line of my 2nd marathon (Jan. 28 in Madeira, Portugal) healthy, so I'm setting a nominal goal of 150 km. Feel free to add me :)

Now to see if I figured out this ticker thing or not...

exercise.png
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sorry I missed the December Challenge, but I spent the past couple of days catching up with everyone by reading the December Challenge thread.

Not sure of my goal for January yet - I did survive my half marathon at the St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend. It was tough for me - which I knew it was going to be because I was short on training.

While I was out of town for the half marathon, my husband decided to was a good idea to get another two guinea pigs, so we have three.

It snowed here in South Louisiana - last time that happened was nine years ago.

I must have been good this year because underneath my Christmas tree was a Garmin Forerunner 235 - still getting use to all the features.

Question: Starting on Sunday the weather here in South Louisiana will be in the low 40's for the high and low 20's for the low. I am a morning runner, so I will be running next week in 20 F weather. I usually just layer clothing- base layer, running pants and long sleeve running shirt. I have a thick headband that I wear for my ears and forehead. Do I need anything else to combat the weather?

It is going to be sunny most days, just cold. So I will not have to worry about freezing rain/snow/sleet/etc.

Most of my runs are on the road.

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Q50 Resolution Run - 01/06/2018 - ?
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    OLOLCH Amazing Challenge 5K and 10K - ?
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf 3/24/2018 -?
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    My goal for January is to be consistent with running and lifting. I want to run at least 500 miles this year (hopefully more but trying to be realistic). I estimate my miles will be around 48.85 (with 3 races) so we will round up to 50 and be ambitious.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    January Goal - Recover from ITBS and continue strengthening my glutes.

I have the same diagnosis. Although I wasn't smart enough to discern that the mild knee pain I has was ITBS. I just figured it was mechanics and would work out after the first surgery.

Do you have a glute strength regiment you can point me to or share?

I have a post op PT schedule I look to start. Since I gave up on running/biking, I think I can actually tolerate some exercises. Like single leg balance on the foam pad. Triangles. Donkey kicks. Planks.

I was nearly certain my knee pain was my lateral meniscus but the Doc said that the most likely culprit was my IT band. Now that I've researched that issue, I'm certain he's right and I don't know how I didn't figure that out myself (other than not having years of med school behind me). I have a PT appointment to start on my glute revival, but not until January 20th because I'm willing to wait for the top running PT in the local area. I'm not willing to wait on my rehab, though, so I'm taking my butt muscles into my own hands (until I can put them in the PT's hand) and star doing something now.

There are hellalotta glute routines out there and I was overwhelmed with the information and trying to get it narrowed down to something that would actually be useful. I was talking to a local friend of mine who once dealt with a similar issue and saw the same PT that I'm scheduled to see. He sent me the packet of info she sent him and I'm using that.

The whole packet includes foam rolling, stretches and exercises.

Exercises include:
    • Glute Bridges (2 legs to start, progressing to 1 leg)
    • Bird Dogs
    • Clam Shells
    • Side-Lying Hip Abduction (I call this a single legged scissor move)
    • X-band Walk
    • Assisted One-legged deadlift
    • King Deadlift
    • Two-legged Eccentric Squat on a Slanted Board
    • Single-leg Eccentric Squat on a Slanted Board

I've only done the first 4 so far as well as some Fire Hydrants and Wall Sits. The packet really stresses doing these with good form so some of them I'm waiting until after I see the PT so she can guide me.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks @Stoshew71 It's been a while since I've read your opening post love it.

I'm in for 110 miles this month. Have my half in April so need to start training and adding longer runs.

I love reading it, it's so encouraging. Do you have a time goal for the half?

@Elise4270 my HM PR is 2:11 and change...but on a better much flat course. This the HM is hilly so I'll be happy with 2:30.
  • kmrob2
    kmrob2 Posts: 42 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I fell victim to holiday laziness in December (only 45 miles instead of 60). January will be a welcome refresh! Goal is 50 miles for the month and adding more targeted speed and agility training. I really want my 2018 half times to be under 2 hours.

Upcoming races:
    • St. Pat's 10k Run - Mar 10
    • National Women's Half Marathon - Apr 29
    • Army 10 Miler - Oct 8
    • Richmond Half Marathon - Nov 10
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    As I type this, I have a day left on my sentence of "no running." I can do a 2 mile test run tomorrow, and what I can do after that depends on how the test goes.

Things being as they are, I will not have a running mileage goal for January.

Nominal challenge goal: No specific distance
    Real goals: Start January getting back to running regularly. Finish January in base building mode, giving myself a chance to start and complete Boston 2018.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @PastorVincent every time I see your "I must hate myself" comment about running that 50k after your marathon, I laugh a little... if you hate yourself, what does my running say about me???