January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    I think the socks maybe available at Academy or Dick's Sporting Goods.

Dicks Sporting Goods will likely carry everything I linked to at Amazon - cept they do not carry Darn Tough socks. They have Smart Wool socks instead which many people like. Also, Dicks Sporting Goods will price match Amazon now (bring your phone so you can show them the Amazon price), so worth checking out there too.

I just link to Amazon cause it is the one place I know everyone can see - while I do not know if anyone has Dicks or etc near them. :) I have bought most of my UA stuff at Dicks - because I can try it on there. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So I think I'm totally pumped and ready to signup for my first race. So my question for y'all would be how exactly do I do that? Lol. Also, how do you determine which ones you want to signup for. There seems to be at least 3-4 every weekend

For us (My wife and I) we look to do one every month or 2, and we look for:
    • Travel Time: Much prefer to stay easy short drive.
    • Organization: Look ones that seem well organized and have clear pre-race information.
    • Timing: Needs to be on a Saturday basically, though we have done a few night races
    • Extras: Hot Cocoa? Obstacles? Etc. Those all come in to play.
    • Distance: 5k? 10k? HM? 10 miles? Etc.
    • Terrian: Trail? Road? Cliffs of insanity?
    • Cost: We are not rich and being a couple we double all race fees. So this always matters.

After that, you just go to the race's website and they tell you how to sign up. If their website does not make it clear, then I do not race it as that is a red flag to a poorly organized race. Smaller ones tend to be more laid back, while larger ones will tend to have better giveaways and more colorful racers.

Also, many races raise money for specific causes. We have registered for races, just to support the cause despite all other factors. We have also given extra at races for the cause they are raising money for.

So basically - it like clothing is a highly personalized choice. Since it is your first I would tend to lean towards recommending a bigger more professionally run race over a local small one as you do not want your first race to be a bad experience.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @abutcher2122 My first race was a 5K Turkey Trot at my college. I always remembered hearing about it & never doing it so when I planned to run it when I was home for Thanksgiving. Then the grocery store I had worked at was doing on Thanksgiving so I signed up for that too. So I did a 5K and a 5-mile race within a week and was hooked. I picked them because of connections.

Now I look at where, when, and what I get. I like the medals that the Rock N Roll series give away so I do that one. I like the jackets and hot chocolate at the Hot Chocolate race so I do that. Those are big races and have a party feel to them. But I've also found smaller, local races that I love for a variety of reasons (too many to list).

Although it seems fun to be in on the inaugural race, I tend to stay away from those. I signed up for one recently and it was canceled and will supposedly be done in February (I chose to transfer my registration over refund).

Like I signed up for a WTF quarter marathon yesterday. The name, shirt and medal first attracted me but it's also a trail race and I want to do more of those.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls what's wrong with weather below those temps?

Nothing wrong with the temperatures, I am just cold and below that I just feel pain from the chill
  • rcd7
    rcd7 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Getting a head start on my 12 km/week goal as will be traveling next week and it will be hard to run. Thought I finally cracked this running like a gazelle thing until I turned back and realized there had been a massive wind in my back! Oh well....
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso @PastorVincent
    Thanks guys. That is good information to consider. As for the travel time, im only considering races that are within my area. I went to race finder to help determine which ones i want to sign up for but have been somewhat discouraged as theres a button to register now for some events but when you click on it, the registration isnt until the first week of January and while yes thats like 2 days away i might not be as motivated. lol. The first one im considering is like right down the street at the end of March. I would have totally done one today or tomorrow if i had figured out the whole registration thing.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »

Nothing wrong with the temperatures, I am just cold and below that I just feel pain from the chill
    Just let it get colder, the pain goes away...LOL
  • PastorVincent
    Options

It just returns when you try to shower. :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

It just returns when you try to shower. :lol:

LOL... that's why I wait like 10-15 minutes after getting inside, to shower, and that's normally after a 30-45 minute drive, so I've had a slow thaw before I hit the shower.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @bride001

My last run I put hot coco in an insulated thermos In case I was freezing, I'd have it. Might be good for that cool down chill. Could even do hot tea if you don't want the calories.

You must be getting the same cold front were getting next week. Highs in the 20's, lows near single digits. Thankfully I'm injured... But that doesn't mean I won't feel the need to to run 5 miles! :wink: ohh can I go run? Today?
    DH went to jail this morning.... To visit a friend. I could go run.... Alone. Bet he brings home donuts..... Run.... Run.....run....
  • Elise4270
    Options
    rcd7 wrote: »
    Getting a head start on my 12 km/week goal as will be traveling next week and it will be hard to run. Thought I finally cracked this running like a gazelle thing until I turned back and realized there had been a massive wind in my back! Oh well....

Take what you can get! Enjoy the good runs!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    So I think I'm totally pumped and ready to signup for my first race. So my question for y'all would be how exactly do I do that? Lol. Also, how do you determine which ones you want to signup for. There seems to be at least 3-4 every weekend

I tend to stay with the cancer center runs. Look for reputable organizations. Maybe ask the local running store?

But we've run a few that we have since stayed away from because of organization, or the charity was mismanaged. Uh hum Team Ortho. Although I still wear my race jacket....it's a gud-ern
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I just learned a new tip for winter running. A girl at run group this morning made a makeshift belaclava out of a t-shirt. She put it over her head but did not put her head all the way through the neck hole. Then she tied the sleeves behind her neck. The body of the shirt sat on her shoulders inside her jacket. She said it kept her really warm. Just thought I'd share since there are some of you that only get a few cold days per year and don't want to invest in a lot of gear.

That's how I make my son a ninja mask. Lol
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    January goal --> 75.
    Welcome new runners! And all of us oldies. ;)
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

I wonder if the pain of being cold all the time ever really goes away. According to those around me, my temperature gauge is warped.

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    @abutcher2122 My first race was a 5K Turkey Trot at my college. I always remembered hearing about it & never doing it so when I planned to run it when I was home for Thanksgiving. Then the grocery store I had worked at was doing on Thanksgiving so I signed up for that too. So I did a 5K and a 5-mile race within a week and was hooked. I picked them because of connections.

Now I look at where, when, and what I get. I like the medals that the Rock N Roll series give away so I do that one. I like the jackets and hot chocolate at the Hot Chocolate race so I do that. Those are big races and have a party feel to them. But I've also found smaller, local races that I love for a variety of reasons (too many to list).

Although it seems fun to be in on the inaugural race, I tend to stay away from those. I signed up for one recently and it was canceled and will supposedly be done in February (I chose to transfer my registration over refund).

Like I signed up for a WTF quarter marathon yesterday. The name, shirt and medal first attracted me but it's also a trail race and I want to do more of those.

My first race was also a 5k Turkey Trot my sophomore year of college. It was in Madison WI. I wore sweat pants and a sweat shirt. It was freezing out. I remember how heavy and wet sweats would get! Thank God for advances in running clothing!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Goal for January is 189 miles. A bunch of 13 milers in there. I guess this HM training plan really gets you comfortable running a half marathon!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    I remember how heavy and wet sweats would get! Thank God for advances in running clothing!

TOTALY!!