Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

metric vs imperial

Options
12346»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm all over the place with this stuff.

Same here.
    Height & weight I think in Imperial. I know there are 2.2 KG in a pound and can do that in my head.
    Temps I think in C around freezing and F above 10C/50F. But I can do the conversion from C to F in my head. Double it, less 10% plus 32.
    Tried to use my Garmin watch for distance golfing and it gave me meters. Who would use meters in golf? Like using meters in football, not going to happen anywhere.
    Have no idea on ounces but can guess grams pretty good with food. Tablespoons and cups make no sense to me.
    Driving, I think in KM. Watching car shows I think in MPH. So top Gear always confused me.
    But I still think in Imperial MPG when calculating fuel mileage. L/100km seems backwards to me, but I know 10 is decent and 20, not so good.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Yeah, let's call 14 pounds a stone and then start dividing, adding and subtracting by increments of 14. Just, like, because. And then inflict it on the rest of the world, on the internet at least.

So by that thinking feet which have 12 inches should also be subject to the same scorn. Or Fahrenheit because they insist on not having freezing as 0 and boiling as 100 which is much more sensible. Or perhaps fluid ounces, gallons for fuel, cups for solids. I could go on and on. I prefer metric but stones and pounds are no more illogical than my list.

And inflict? I'm sorry you're so sensitive to cultural differences that hangovers from the pre-metric past. And I say this as a metric person largely.

Seriously. What's the big deal about a stone being 14 pounds? And I'm from the US. It's no more than a foot being 12 inches or cup being 8 ounces or any other measurement equivalency we grow up knowing. It's just as random.

Saying it's inflicted? Dramatic much?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The only one where I have no idea and can't even estimate in my head is celsius. (I use a converter and don't expect people to cater to my inability here, for the record.) I know 0 is 32 and 100 is 212, but because it's not an easy multiplication I don't know, except apparently 30s C is quite hot and today where I live it was -20 C in the morning (which I don't approve of, -4 C (instead of F) is far more civilized!).

I was in South Africa in January one time and it was funny because often the temps at home and there looked the same (it was usually lower at home still, but close enough), except at home it was snowing and where I was I was getting sunburnt the second I got careless with sunscreen!

Yep, can't for the life of me do the temp conversion. That's what Google is for.

Weirdly, if someone asks my height, i always give it in feet and inches, even though I obviously know my height in centimetres.

Celsius to Fahrenheit - Multiply by 9, Divide by 5, then add 32.
    Fahrenheit to Celsius - Subtract 32, Multiply by 5, then divide by 9

But I don't try to convert anymore. I simply think both ways and relate to whichever comes.

or multiple temp in F by .37 and you'll get pretty dang close
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwjWHvlzzHRM0UXxTdmcd3b-XSkNpO_Og2WgHQ52lrHEpby8kSqQ

GottaBurnEm, you should get this scale!

More drama? Why should I? I live in the US, we don't use stones, but it's naught to me when someone on the boards uses them, it's easy enough for me to do some quick head math or to google them. I don't see the issue. This is an international forum.

Seriously people #notallamericans

On the other side of the issue, I rather like them, I have to say. I'm a tiny number of them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    So is the debate that people should use imperial measurements only or people should understand that more than imperial measurements are in use?

I think people can use whatever measurement they prefer.
    I enjoy communicating with people from around the world and undertand that what is normal to me is not necessarily normal to them. I can easily convert things to what I understand because there are sites that do that for you. Or I would ask politely for clarification from the poster if I was not sure.
    Weight given in lbs and stones will always annoy me though- you clearly do use lbs so just put it all in lbs!

MFP itself is a culture, with something of its own language. In MFP-speak, perhaps the following is a common way of asking politely for clarification:
    Whether in stone or lb it's difficult to imagine anyone being alive at that weight. How old are you?

(Just kidding.)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

More drama? Why should I? I live in the US, we don't use stones, but it's naught to me when someone on the boards uses them, it's easy enough for me to do some quick head math or to google them. I don't see the issue. This is an international forum.

On the other side of the issue, I rather like them, I have to say. I'm a tiny number of them.

I would win if measuring my weight in stones but I'd seem like a short little bugger if I measured my height in hands. UK friends, do they use hands to measure anything other than horses?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I would win if measuring my weight in stones but I'd seem like a short little bugger if I measured my height in hands. UK friends, do they use hands to measure anything other than horses?

LOL. No, no hands.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Every day is a learning day.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    All this confusion and antagonism and hostility could be entirely avoided if people simply made sure to always list units used.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Every scientist or engineer learns very quickly that you always, ALWAYS state units to avoid confusion. Always. Clarity in communication is important. It avoids situations like the pages-long discussion prior to this.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Well, simple common sense would too.....

this is a chat forum, not a scientific paper.